Are you lucky? or good?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Edcyclopedia

Re: Are you lucky? or good?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:48 am

Perfect timing! ;)

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:13 am

Still unlucky... just like last yr.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:31 am

I'm just lucky
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:37 am

Dewey wrote:[glow=red]I always tell people that the more you put into something the luckier you will become and I am a firm believer in making your own luck.[/glow]

In my younger years I pretty much sat in a tree if it looked like a good one for my stand regardless if there was deer sign or not. Back then if I shot a deer I considered it pure luck. Over the years I refined my tactics and started paying more attention to everything around me and after a few years everything started making sense and my success seeing bigger bucks skyrocketed. I guess that I could say that I finally turned the corner of just being lucky but I resist saying that I am good because I have a long way to go yet. When I can kill a mature buck every year on public land then I deserve to be called a good hunter. My confidence is getting better every year and I think that has alot to do with the increased scouting I have been doing the last three years. Being confident in your hunting spots before the season even starts is huge and that is what separates the lucky hunters from good hunters.

I agree with this....and Dan stated it as well. We create our own luck, in other words, we increase the odds of not only getting a crack at a mature buck, but just a sighting. A lot of it is RIGHT SPOT RIGHT TIME, which can sometimes be a flip of a coin. Pretty interesting how it all works out and all the stories how how bucks are killed are different. Good topic...
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:26 am

Mine is luck. I scout. Put in food plots. Scout more. Hang stands. Check cameras. Watch the wind. But that only puts me in the game. I think u still gotta have luck on ur side to see a mature buck and that's only half the battle. Then u gotta have a little more luck that he comes within ur effective range and turns the right direction and if all that happens u still have to keep cool and make a good shot. Luck never hurts. Just my opinion

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:00 am

If you kill big deer almost every year regardless of your area it's for sure not luck. Watching a buck, learning about him, knowing him, naming him, hanging a stand in the right tree, killing him, if some believe that it's luck you'll never be a better hunter than what you are now. The guys with the big deer put more time and effort in than most can imagine.

Master Chief

Unread postby Master Chief » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:12 pm

iowa whitetail wrote:If you kill big deer almost every year regardless of your area it's for sure not luck. Watching a buck, learning about him, knowing him, naming him, hanging a stand in the right tree, killing him, if some believe that it's luck you'll never be a better hunter than what you are now. The guys with the big deer put more time and effort in than most can imagine.

Naming him? I agree what your saying overall, but that is kinda weird about the naming thing lol

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. That will occur much more often if you are in the right location. Location dictates how much"luck" you have. If that were not the case, we wouldn't scout, land owners wouldn't manage their property, or even someone paying money to get into a farm that has big bucks would just save their money. Once you are in the area big bucks live, it gets a little more simple. Now you are wanting to know the specific locations that increase your odds of getting lucky and what not to do to ruin those spots.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Master Chief wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:If you kill big deer almost every year regardless of your area it's for sure not luck. Watching a buck, learning about him, knowing him, naming him, hanging a stand in the right tree, killing him, if some believe that it's luck you'll never be a better hunter than what you are now. The guys with the big deer put more time and effort in than most can imagine.

Naming him? I agree what your saying overall, but that is kinda weird about the naming thing lol

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. That will occur much more often if you are in the right location. Location dictates how much"luck" you have. If that were not the case, we wouldn't scout, land owners wouldn't manage their property, or even someone paying money to get into a farm that has big bucks would just save their money. Once you are in the area big bucks live, it gets a little more simple. Now you are wanting to know the specific locations that increase your odds of getting lucky and what not to do to ruin those spots.
Alot of big deer hunters name the deer they go after,normally by his antlers or some characteristic of the deer.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:31 am

Places where people name deer are the easiest places to kill deer..... :think:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:36 am

personally, I choose to hunt where there are very few deer....that way I can really prove how good I am....

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:40 am

Zap wrote:personally, I choose to hunt where there are very few deer....that way I can really prove how good I am....

:lol:

Sounds like my strategy :lol:
Make It Happen
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:05 am

Spysar wrote:Places where people name deer are the easiest places to kill deer..... :think:

I still name them on public land even though you think it is Image. Those have been the hardest ones to kill. I'm neither lucky nor good when it comes to named public land bucks. :lol:
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:17 am

How many times do you see a buck before it gets a name?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:41 am

Spysar wrote:Places where people name deer are the easiest places to kill deer..... :think:

Sort of. If there are no 3 or 4 year old bucks around then there are no bucks for me to name. However if there is 1 good buck using an area I will find him and I will probably name him. If he disappears as most do, oh well, I move on. People only hear about the ones that don't disappear 8-)

To each there own, I don't have a problem with people who don't name deer ;)
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:44 am

That makes no sense. Its just part of the fun. I bet most buck killers have a name for a few of there deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”