Becoming a Predator

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
xpauliber
500 Club

Becoming a Predator

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed May 25, 2011 1:46 pm

I think one of the greatest things that I have gotten from watching Dan's videos is that essentially you have to learn to BECOME a predator.

The actual tips and techniques are valuable, but the overall theme of the videos is learning how to become a better predator/beast.

I know from my own personal experience that it's easy to go to the same areas year after year and hunt with the same style and techniques using the same wind, etc. Especially if you taste some success every once in awhile.

What Dan challenges us to do on his videos is to question everything in order to become a more efficient predator. Why was he bedded in this particular spot? What was he seeing from his bed and how was he using the wind? How can you take what you learn from your prey and use it against him as a predator?

The sooner you accept the fact that in order to become a big buck serial killer, you must embrace the predator/beast role, the sooner you will find yourself at full draw on your prey.

It's not easy to become a beast. I wonder how many hunters watched Dan's videos and said "that's too much work, that's not for me."

All I know is that it was VERY refreshing to see 2 videos unlike anything out there and I can't wait for the next one to come out. So what was the most important thing YOU took away from watching Dan's videos?

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Re: Becoming a Predator

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed May 25, 2011 2:38 pm

xpauliber wrote:I think one of the greatest things that I have gotten from watching Dan's videos is that essentially you have to learn to BECOME a predator.

The actual tips and techniques are valuable, but the overall theme of the videos is learning how to become a better predator/beast.

I know from my own personal experience that it's easy to go to the same areas year after year and hunt with the same style and techniques using the same wind, etc. Especially if you taste some success every once in awhile.

What Dan challenges us to do on his videos is to question everything in order to become a more efficient predator. Why was he bedded in this particular spot? What was he seeing from his bed and how was he using the wind? How can you take what you learn from your prey and use it against him as a predator?

The sooner you accept the fact that in order to become a big buck serial killer, you must embrace the predator/beast role, the sooner you will find yourself at full draw on your prey.

It's not easy to become a beast. I wonder how many hunters watched Dan's videos and said "that's too much work, that's not for me."

All I know is that it was VERY refreshing to see 2 videos unlike anything out there and I can't wait for the next one to come out. So what was the most important thing YOU took away from watching Dan's videos?

Couldnt have said it better myself!

One of the most important things I took is that "THERE IS NO MAGIC PIXIE DUST..its all hard work, its scouting - finding where they bed, where they feed, where their patterns are, where their staging areas are AND HUNTING THEM DOWN AND KILLING THEM.."

You dont need all the newest gizmos and gadgets, scent control products, etc to kill big bucks..

Another one of the biggest things I took from the videos and this site is to hunt beds..thats where the bucks are..every other video, article, book, etc that Ive invested in has said/taught to sit in that funnel or downwind of that doe bedding area all day during the rut and you will kill big bucks..makes sense during the rut, but what about the other 3 1/2 months of the season when the bucks arent moving??
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed May 25, 2011 3:04 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:
Another one of the biggest things I took from the videos and this site is to hunt beds..thats where the bucks are..every other video, article, book, etc that Ive invested in has said/taught to sit in that funnel or downwind of that doe bedding area all day during the rut and you will kill big bucks..makes sense during the rut, but what about the other 3 1/2 months of the season when the bucks arent moving??

I know! I was expecting to see a big section of the video dedicated to the rut and they barely mentioned it! That blew me away. And Andrae talking about "rut hunters" and he was never really a "rut hunter". haha!

The hunts they include are the icing on the cake, where they're knocking down big bucks with the full leaf cover still on. I was/still am in awe.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed May 25, 2011 10:01 pm

Xpauliber, welcome to the BEAST. What state you from.

Great topic and couldn't agree more. Marsh Bucks really was revolutionary about getting in the game by finding the beds. The second video got me more interested than ever in wind and how topography and gusts in addition to the thermals influence.

Then I got more interested in predator hunting the last couple of winters maybe went out 10 times total and still skunked, but I got reading and studying maps a lot. One thing I read in Predator Extreme this winter kinda ties in to the theme here. A guy wrote that in all his 25 years of predator hunting he has never had a coyote come in from upwind.

Kinda what Dan talks about, those mature bucks arent just gonna give away the wind, you really gotta play the cross winds and tempt those "bad winds" to get them vulnerable.

Having been edumacated in the sciences and some course work in climatology (Ok weather) I thought I knew something about wind. Turns out I wasnt worth a damn at converting it to hunting. Yeh I would check the prevailing wind before I went out and plan accordingly.

Dan gave me a little one on one seminar in Lansing, Michigan In Feb 09, that changed how I know hunt and look at [glow=red]wind[/glow].
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed May 25, 2011 10:28 pm

I'm still trying to take it all in!!! I didn't get into hunting whitetails with bow until 5 -6 years ago, so everything in the videos to me is a learning curve. I never really hunted deer with gun either, except when I was real young my uncles and Grandpa would make us kids drive the swamps up North for them. Maybe thats why I never got serious about hunting (I didn't know there was more to hunting then just driving swamps)I have watched both the videos several times and will watch them several more times until all this BEAST style hunting sinks in. I have taken alot from the videos and all the GREAT people on this site and don't plan on stopping anytime soon.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 25, 2011 11:23 pm

I like the "predator" theme to this post... Its right on.
If there is one thing else I was trying to convey that maybe I did not get across fully, is you need to also be willing to fail and not have that effect your motivation.
You have to push the limits, and in doing so you will fail and second guess your tactics.. But if you always play it safe, you won't be putting yourself in the game.
Pushing the limits and going for broke is what teaches us exactly how far we can go, and exactly what we can get away with...
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Wed May 25, 2011 11:37 pm

Well said xpauliber & Dan.

I would say, after getting knowledge, experiences, your felling can play with all your Beast accuracy...
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu May 26, 2011 2:17 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Xpauliber, welcome to the BEAST. What state you from.

Thanks Uncle Lou! I'm from central Pennsylvania. It is very frustrating at times hunting here because of the terrain and hunting pressure. The one area I hunt alot consists of miles of hardwood forest and endless mountain laurel. It seems the deer can feed on the oaks and bed all in one spot which makes it extremely difficult to kill them. I'm hoping to apply some of these tactics to the hills here and unlock the mysteries of the laurel bed seas.

My brother and I have archery hunted our whole lives here and just this spring expanded our horizons into Ohio. We made some scouting trips to public land and are planning to hunt there this fall as well. It's amazing how different the terrain can be with just a 4.5 hour drive.

The Beast forums have already made me a better hunter. I have about 12 books on archery hunting whitetails but nothing compares to the discussions that get brought up here, and the ability to talk to guys that are passionate about archery hunting. I know I'm in the right place because in most hunter's minds, archery season begins in late August or September, but for me, archery season never ends. I frequent huntingpa.com and after November, their forums go cold as ice. It's sweet to get on here and see discussions year-round and new topics being posted almost daily. Long live the beast!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu May 26, 2011 2:28 am

xpauliber wrote: I have about 12 books on archery hunting whitetails but nothing compares to the discussions that get brought up here, and the ability to talk to guys that are passionate about archery hunting.

I use to do the same thing, read all kinds of book and had many mag subscriptions, they all kind of said the same thing in different way. When I found the beast I gave the books away and slowly let my subscriptions go. I might renew one or two just so I have something to do on the toilet but when I have a question this is where I come.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:50 am

xpauliber wrote:
cornfedkiller wrote:

I know! I was expecting to see a big section of the video dedicated to the rut and they barely mentioned it! That blew me away. And Andrae talking about "rut hunters" and he was never really a "rut hunter". haha!

The hunts they include are the icing on the cake, where they're knocking down big bucks with the full leaf cover still on. I was/still am in awe.

Actually I think a whole other video can be done for the rut hunts. Especially for the people who travel and can't get the scouting of the bed because of distance. A hands on approach video would do a lot of good for some people traveling out of state on what to look for and why and how to increase their chances to make the most of their vacation time rut hunting.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:15 am

This was the big piece of the puzzle for me personally. I recently attended a whitetail camp and got to see/learn a bit about deer and their bedding behavior. I could probably count the number of deer beds I had found over the years on one hand, excluding the ones in the snow. Now I can walk along and just know Im going to find one if I walk towards that good looking spot 50yds away. This year will be my first year hunting with all this new knowledge, but in my opinion finding his bed(s) is 75% of the battle. If your not within that zone Dan talks about where the buck will be on his feet during day light, your odds of killing him are extremely low. Im finding what Im looking for now, but sneaking in and setting up shop with a buck 50yds away seems like an impossible challenge to me. However I will give it my best and as Dan has said in the videos and even in this thread, you will fail until you do this enough to learn the limits.

Thanks again Dan for the great videos, and the site we can all share thoughts/ideas. Also thanks to the successful members who have shared/helped others.

Ken
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu May 26, 2011 4:34 am

Wrinkleneck wrote:I'm still trying to take it all in!!! I didn't get into hunting whitetails with bow until 5 -6 years ago, so everything in the videos to me is a learning curve.

You're not alone with the learning curve. I've been archery hunting for 15 years and as I mentioned in another post, after watching these videos, I felt like I was in kindergarten again! haha I just feel blessed to have found these videos now (Im 27) because they will DRASTICALLY reduce that learning curve. Imagine if you had to learn all the information contained in those videos on your own!

Here again, I give Dan props for stepping up and revealing this information to us. He didn't HAVE to make any of those videos OR offer advice on this forum.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu May 26, 2011 5:53 am

xpauliber wrote:
Wrinkleneck wrote:I'm still trying to take it all in!!! I didn't get into hunting whitetails with bow until 5 -6 years ago, so everything in the videos to me is a learning curve.

You're not alone with the learning curve. I've been archery hunting for 15 years and as I mentioned in another post, after watching these videos, I felt like I was in kindergarten again! haha I just feel blessed to have found these videos now (Im 27) because they will DRASTICALLY reduce that learning curve. Imagine if you had to learn all the information contained in those videos on your own!

Here again, I give Dan props for stepping up and revealing this information to us. He didn't HAVE to make any of those videos OR offer advice on this forum.

I'll third that! I started hunting when I was 12 (12 yrs ago). I (and the rest of my family) was the typical slug season hunter.. Get your wooden permanent stand all fixed up the day before, same place its been for 5 years, then sit there for the couple days of slug season and shoot whatever comes by. It wasnt until I picked up a bow when I was 18 that I really started to get into it..the scouting, the trailcams, the portable treestands, reading books, watching movies, etc..But it wasnt until last summer when I bought and watched Dan's videos that I really really got to studying mature deer, and having a whole new perspective on them and how to kill them. Like xpauliber mentioned, Im just blessed that I found these videos and can begin this learning curve this early in my life..

Thanks again to Dan and all the other members of this site. (Im also glad there are people out there that think about deer hunting as much as I do..I sometimes wonder if I need help :mrgreen: )

Welcome to the forum xpauliber!
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu May 26, 2011 6:37 am

"I sometimes wonder if I need help" :mrgreen: )

I've already got 12 full days of post season scouting. I'm going to put in 10X100 arrow sessions at the range elevated with the gear on, irrespective of the weather, that's 30 hours. I have 2 qualifiers about a half day each. I've got 10 hours already in the new bow and in arrow building. I have to make 6 sets in September, which will take 3 full days given the travel time. And I have to work overtime the entire year to free up time for 13 afternoon rut hunts.

I don't wonder about at all, there's definitely something wrong with me. :mrgreen:
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:41 am

Buckfever wrote:"I sometimes wonder if I need help" :mrgreen: )

I've already got 12 full days of post season scouting. I'm going to put in 10X100 arrow sessions at the range elevated with the gear on, irrespective of the weather, that's 30 hours. I have 2 qualifiers about a half day each. I've got 10 hours already in the new bow and in arrow building. I have to make 6 sets in September, which will take 3 full days given the travel time. And I have to work overtime the entire year to free up time for 13 afternoon rut hunts.

I don't wonder about at all, there's definitely something wrong with me. :mrgreen:

Admittance is the first step into rehabilitation! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”