hunting beast buck bed cam?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
magicman54494
500 Club

hunting beast buck bed cam?

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:04 pm

I got a link to a cam broadcasting live on the net of an eagle nest. Cool stuff!
This got me thinking (and that can be dangerous) why not do the same thing on an active buck bed? Set it up so people have to come to the beast to watch it? I wonder how much it would cost to do this. It would be a cool thing for sure! It would probably bring a lot of new people to the beast!

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: hunting beast buck bed cam?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue May 24, 2011 4:23 pm

magicman54494 wrote:...I wonder how much it would cost to do this....

As far as equipment goes a lot of it depends on how far it is from the house. Close enough to run cable? Need wireless? If so what kind of power source? It is definitely doable (at least 25+ miles), but it could get expensive if it's more than a couple hundred yards or so from the house. I know nothing about internet broadcasting costs, but I don't think it's to bad.

I bet it would generate a lot traffic!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue May 24, 2011 4:26 pm

always wanted to see something like that
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue May 24, 2011 10:16 pm

That would be cool, if you could get a camera on a slobs bed or even his staging area!!!
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed May 25, 2011 12:03 am

I think it was a few years ago, when I saw some advertisement on Deer and Deer hunting magazine, where you could buy a subscription of watching a buck that they implanted a small camera in the deers forhead, and you could watch what he's watching.... If I remember right, it was pretty expensive, like $30 or $40 a month..... The deer was on a deer farm, fenced in, but you could still watch his behavior.... But I thought, heck, he probably sleeps most of the day, and travels at night, so how much would you really see ? but then again, during the rut, he would be fun to watch...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed May 25, 2011 12:29 am

dreaming bucks wrote:I think it was a few years ago, when I saw some advertisement on Deer and Deer hunting magazine, where you could buy a subscription of watching a buck that they implanted a small camera in the deers forhead, and you could watch what he's watching.... If I remember right, it was pretty expensive, like $30 or $40 a month..... The deer was on a deer farm, fenced in, but you could still watch his behavior.... But I thought, heck, he probably sleeps most of the day, and travels at night, so how much would you really see ? but then again, during the rut, he would be fun to watch...

I remember seeing the same thing, some of the clips were pretty cool, others kind of boring.

I really like the idea Magic. I briefly looked into this and couldn't find much info out there, most of it was for a webcam in your home. I will keep digging.

It wouldn't be the same as a web cam but it would also be interesting to setup 4 or 5 souped up video game cams. Throw in a jumbo memory card and extra battery pack and station them in and around a known bedding area, I would think you could get some cool footage and even several different angles of the buck getting out of his bed and staging.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed May 25, 2011 7:19 am

dreaming bucks wrote:...during the rut, he would be fun to watch...

That would be really cool.

headgear wrote:...I really like the idea Magic. I briefly looked into this and couldn't find much info out there, most of it was for a webcam in your home. I will keep digging.

It wouldn't be the same as a web cam but it would also be interesting to setup 4 or 5 souped up video game cams. Throw in a jumbo memory card and extra battery pack and station them in and around a known bedding area, I would think you could get some cool footage and even several different angles of the buck getting out of his bed and staging.

I'm curious what you guy's think this would cost? What do you guy's think would be reasonable for equipment costs and a monthly bill?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed May 25, 2011 7:49 am

Cost could be tricky because you could probably spend a ton depending on the quality of the image you want to display. I found a long range video link transmitter for $1400, that was for 7 miles. If you are going to spend that much money you might as well get a high end camera $500 to 1000 and even some kind of solar panel battery setup to go with it.

There has got to be a cheaper way to do but I am not really sure how.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed May 25, 2011 8:25 am

headgear wrote:Cost could be tricky because you could probably spend a ton depending on the quality of the image you want to display. I found a long range video link transmitter for $1400, that was for 7 miles. If you are going to spend that much money you might as well get a high end camera $500 to 1000 and even some kind of solar panel battery setup to go with it.

There has got to be a cheaper way to do but I am not really sure how.

You can actually get a good bullet cam for under $200 that will have a nice broadcast quality picture (SD) and for a little more you can have a true completely invisible IR illuminator. I seen a really cool pan and tilt with 220X optical zoom a while back for about twice that price. That would be cool for crop fields, but then you have another transmitter and reciever to control it. $$$ There is a lot of cool stuff out there, but man can it add up fast. Plus those long range transmitters take a lot of power so that's a problem too. That can be dealt with if your willing to buy enough solar panels an have some good batteries on hand. There is some really freaking cool stuff out there, but it ain't cheap. I researched it quite a bit on and off in the past because I thought about making custom surveillance systems for wildlife viewing, but I just didn't think enough people would be willing to pay that kind of money.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed May 25, 2011 9:07 am

Just think if a guy walk filthy rich you could have a camera on every bed you know of and pick the buck you want to hunt that night. That probably crosses some kind of legal/ethical line but lets not get into that mess.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 25, 2011 9:47 am

They have two different trail cameras now that email you images, or send them to a remote device. Even that with a large battery pack and solar charger would be cool to have the pictures up as they are sent.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed May 25, 2011 10:07 am

The activity needed to set this up would make any smart buck leave forever...
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed May 25, 2011 10:13 am

I got to thinking, and I remember a thread, maybe on AT...It was a series of trail cam picks from throughout the year of a mature buck repeatedly using the same bed. I recall the guy being from out of state and he was getting the pics in Ohio. :?:

The thread was really cool. So many pics of the buck in his bed.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 25, 2011 10:30 am

Spysar wrote:I got to thinking, and I remember a thread, maybe on AT...It was a series of trail cam picks from throughout the year of a mature buck repeatedly using the same bed. I recall the guy being from out of state and he was getting the pics in Ohio. :?:

Those pics were posted on here too, and that guy joined the forum but just posted on that thread... I don't know where its located, that was when this site was pretty new.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed May 25, 2011 10:32 am

dan wrote:
Spysar wrote:I got to thinking, and I remember a thread, maybe on AT...It was a series of trail cam picks from throughout the year of a mature buck repeatedly using the same bed. I recall the guy being from out of state and he was getting the pics in Ohio. :?:

Those pics were posted on here too, and that guy joined the forum but just posted on that thread... I don't know where its located, that was when this site was pretty new.

I think I remember that too. Did,nt Andre set some trail cams in a few buck beds in the early season to figure out a certain bed ?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”