Got any ideas??

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
PLB
500 Club

Got any ideas??

Unread postby PLB » Tue May 10, 2011 4:48 am

Got a call from my taxidermist last week. He forgot to tell me that when he was fleshing out the head on my bear he found birdshot in the head! :o This just adds to the legacy of this incredible public land animal! I'm thinking maybe someone plunked him off their birdfeeder or he may have startled a bird hunter? Ain't no poacher gonna use birdshot!! Probably pissed him off though! :lol: Any other ideas?? Anyone else ever see or hear anything similar to this?? Just thought it was neat and wanted to share it with all the BEASTS!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Got any ideas??

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue May 10, 2011 5:15 am

The bird feeder idea you mentioned I think happens more than a guys thinks
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue May 10, 2011 5:27 am

I could see either option as the primary reason your bear got peppered. I know I bumped into a bear while bird hunting as a kid, never fired a shot but the safety was off and I was pretty close.

Anyone else remember that "The Great Outdoors" bald headed bear? he got a shotgun haircut.
Last edited by headgear on Tue May 10, 2011 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue May 10, 2011 5:28 am

More then likely In someones yard or field I bet. I agree with Hodag, I think this happens more then people think although I've never seen anything on any of the bears our group have gotten. But then again, we aren't looking for It either.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu May 26, 2011 10:13 am

Public Land Beast wrote:Just thought it was neat and wanted to share it with all the BEASTS!

That is very interesting, PLB- I agree that he probably got peppered over a bird feeder / grill / garbage can or the like. 8-)
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:24 am

shot in the head and nowhere else? Somebody trying to "scare" or educate a bear would likely shoot it in the azz. No telling though, somebody could have saw the eyes glowing with a flash light on their garbage and shot it for a coon or something? Just strange it only had shot in the head.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu May 26, 2011 11:47 am

headgear wrote:I could see either option as the primary reason your bear got peppered. I know I bumped into a bear while bird hunting as a kid, never fired a shot but the safety was off and I was pretty close.

Anyone else remember that "The Great Outdoors" bald headed bear? he got a shotgun haircut.

:lol: :lol: Classic movie... remember laughing until it hurt 1st time I saw that sceen

My guess is bird feeder bear and someone was not happy about it
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat May 24, 2014 6:38 am

I hope he wasnt shot like that for sport. That would have been sad

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat May 24, 2014 8:07 am

We find birdshot every year in some of the bears. Nuisance bears, land owners wanting to scare not kill.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”