aerial view

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
kenn1320
500 Club

aerial view

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat May 07, 2011 3:53 am

I havent scouted this area on foot yet, and am new to marsh land hunting. I can tell there is water running north/south, but are the small lines deer runs? This "island" is 85yds x 65yds. If there is a nice buck using this island, will he travel to main land and stage, or is this island big enough that he will stay on it till dark?

Island is towards top of this picture, south of that lake. Not ideal with all the housing, but ya work with what you got.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
headgear
500 Club

Re: aerial view

Unread postby headgear » Sat May 07, 2011 7:00 am

I hunt an island very similar to this, in my experience the buck will not touch the main high ground during shooting light outside the rut so you are going to have to get out there mingle with him on that island. Those other lines you see are deer trails so sometimes you can use them to help pinpoint an ambush spot, however I wouldn't 100% trust them without scouting because the deer have more than likely been using them for 100's of years so just because they look well used doesn't mean that they are. I have also found that the bucks sometimes bed on the islands and sometimes bed on the smaller cover around the island so be sure to check everywhere. I might even say I find more bedding off the islands then on them, then they stage on the island or just off the island.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat May 07, 2011 7:44 am

headgear wrote:I hunt an island very similar to this, in my experience the buck will not touch the main high ground during shooting light outside the rut so you are going to have to get out there mingle with him on that island. Those other lines you see are deer trails so sometimes you can use them to help pinpoint an ambush spot, however I wouldn't 100% trust them without scouting because the deer have more than likely been using them for 100's of years so just because they look well used doesn't mean that they are. I have also found that the bucks sometimes bed on the islands and sometimes bed on the smaller cover around the island so be sure to check everywhere. I might even say I find more bedding off the islands then on them, then they stage on the island or just off the island.

Great information,thanks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun May 08, 2011 8:04 am

Headgear pretty much nailed my thoughts... I do think though, that those trails do not stay open unless they are getting used. Might get used more or less at certain times of the season and based on food.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun May 08, 2011 8:18 am

Here are the areas marked in red where I would expect to find buck bedding:

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun May 08, 2011 8:24 am

Although I marked the most likely spots, I would personally walk the entire edge of that island and check every thick brushy spot that extends out into the cattails... I hunt a lot of islands just like this one and find that the mature bucks stage on the island and rarely leave the island in daylight... It is important to know where they preffer to bed so you can catch them with the right wind and catch them right near where they come up onto the island to stage. If the island is undisturbed you might find them rising from there beds very early in the afternoon especially the does and smaller deer so its important to get there early enough to not scare the satalite deer... On a few occasions I have gotten to an island at 2 pm-ish only to find the target animal out feeding in the center of the island...
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:17 am

Wow guys, not what I expected. Thanks for marking this up Dan. I had expected to find beds on the island seeing as how it is remote from any woods that would get human traffic. So even though this island "may" never see human traffic, the deer still feel safer bedding in the marsh and only accessing this island to stage/browse. Interesting for sure..........
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon May 09, 2011 8:23 am

Might seem weird, but thats how they usually do it...
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue May 17, 2011 12:28 pm

Suppose you hunted this spot during a really wet year, knowing that some of those high spots just off the island hold beds...would you expect the deer to be bedded on the island itself, or still in the regular beds? i've found quite a few beds that were like 8 inches above water and wondered if they were submerged when i wanted to hunt them....how do you deal with this? i've thought of even taking a tape measure and measuring how far above the water a bed is and then keeping on eye on the water tables(if that info is available)?
When better is possible, good is never good enough
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue May 17, 2011 12:54 pm

I can't remember ever having to deal with flooded beds in the fall while hunting... Only in spring scouting.
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Tue May 17, 2011 4:10 pm

dan wrote:Here are the areas marked in red where I would expect to find buck bedding:

But, if you really were scouting this personally with no past history, you would walk the whole outer edge of this island where it's really brushy right? Not just where you have it marked red.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue May 17, 2011 8:23 pm

But, if you really were scouting this personally with no past history, you would walk the whole outer edge of this island where it's really brushy right? Not just where you have it marked red.

Correct... But I would pay considerable attention to the areas marked.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”