jackpot rut spot

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: jackpot rut spot

Unread postby dan » Wed May 18, 2011 12:31 pm

I think the tree he picked has plenty of cover, maybe even more than the one you picked if your picture was taken in the same season... I have shot a lot of my bucks on trees with very little cover... The "SPOT" is more important than the cover. I would get above the bucks natural sight picture and stand with my back flat against the tree when he is aproaching till its time to take the shot.
I personally don't hunt for trees, I hunt for deer... When you find the right spot then you figure out how to deal with the spot where you need to kill the buck. \
just my 2 cents..

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed May 18, 2011 2:24 pm

dan wrote:I think the tree he picked has plenty of cover, maybe even more than the one you picked if your picture was taken in the same season... I have shot a lot of my bucks on trees with very little cover... The "SPOT" is more important than the cover. I would get above the bucks natural sight picture and stand with my back flat against the tree when he is aproaching till its time to take the shot.
I personally don't hunt for trees, I hunt for deer... When you find the right spot then you figure out how to deal with the spot where you need to kill the buck. \
just my 2 cents..

Nothing wrong with his tree, it's the spot the tree is in that's wrong. Look he did all the right stuff, on pressured public land he found the pressure retreat and sign consistent with a good buck. That tree is in the middle of no where and a mature buck on public land desn't get killed out of that tree even during the rut. Besides he said the bed is a quarter mile away. He's too far away anyway. Find a crappier tree with the right peripheral cover so that the shot comes before detection.

just my 2 cents.

Anyway I don't think he's done developing the spot anyways, I was just busting his chops, hoping someone would bite. :D
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu May 19, 2011 3:17 am

sorry I missed this guys-

Buckfever wrote:I was just busting his chops, hoping someone would bite.

Geeeeeze, Buckfever- are you bored or something? :mrgreen:

Hopefully I can count on you to keep reminding me how important it is to be near the buck's bed- I'll take that reminder anytime.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu May 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:sorry I missed this guys-

Buckfever wrote:I was just busting his chops, hoping someone would bite.

Geeeeeze, Buckfever- are you bored or something? :mrgreen:

Hopefully I can count on you to keep reminding me how important it is to be near the buck's bed- I'll take that reminder anytime.

Not at all, well maybe, but mostly just wanting to stimulate discussion. About 6 and a half years ago I made the transition to public land and it was a rude awakening. Up until that point I would pick a tree based on the cover that the tree provided and very quickly on public land I discovered that was a near worthless strategy. Maybe not completely worthless for killing deer but for bucks, I was just getting picked off so easily. This one buck I called the bone white ten, picked me off from 50 yards away within moments of scanning. So I got down on the ground and started looking at the sets from the vantage of the bucks and it be these wonderful trees but from the vantage of the bucks scanning, they were picking me off easy. On that particular set, I was flat out backlight, even though I was in an Osage tree with multiple trunks all around me and the tree had lots of cover.

So I was standing in that spot where the bone white ten picked me off and I'm scanning as he was and thinking where can I make the set so he doesn't see me. So there was an area with wonderful foreground cover, so I kept that in my sight and and walked to it, behind that I found a Honey locust. Believe me last tree I want to set up on. But I walked all the trails even though the tree had mininal cover the foreground and background cover was quite good.

A couple days later it was rainiing, thunderstorms and I came back I made that set and 2 weeks later I blew the draw on that same buck at 10 yards. It proved to be a very successful set. But it completely changed how I select trees today. In the off season you got to get on the buck trails and see how they're going to see it coming into the lanes.

That triple trunked Maple on private land, get up high no problem, on pressured public land, I don't like it. Plus if you're up 25 feet in that thing, in the wide open like that, so much for keeping that spot a secret. Get closer to the bed in the thick stuff walk the trails out of the bedding and look for sets that you can't get picked off from the vantage of the buck. Might not be as nice a tree, but that's okay.

Wierd thing about these highly pressured deer as sharp as they are in the timber, not that they're not careful in their core bedding, but they are a little more vulnerable there, so if you can get tight undetected and have a set that from their vantage you don't get picked off, after they're up and they scan, they do settle down and move around a bit.

I really like your overall scouting, I really don't like that tree.

Sometimes too there isn't the hunt we want off the bed, these public land bucks are pretty amazing, but there might be a rut hunt off the bed in the breeding scrape area. I know there's aggressive tactics out there but on public land, what you've discovered here is golden, as long as you don't tip your hand.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri May 20, 2011 2:51 am

Buckfever wrote:
Up until that point I would pick a tree based on the cover that the tree provided and very quickly on public land I discovered that was a near worthless strategy. Maybe not completely worthless for killing deer but for bucks, I was just getting picked off so easily. This one buck I called the bone white ten, picked me off from 50 yards away within moments of scanning. So I got down on the ground and started looking at the sets from the vantage of the bucks and it be these wonderful trees but from the vantage of the bucks scanning, they were picking me off easy. On that particular set, I was flat out backlight, even though I was in an Osage tree with multiple trunks all around me and the tree had lots of cover.

Very important comment made here...A person needs to know what the deer can see from the deer's vantage point.Being skylined is alot of peoples mistakes when they get busted by the deer. They look at the cover of the tree but don't look beyond the tree to see if there is cover to hide their outline.
Buckfever wrote:
So I was standing in that spot where the bone white ten picked me off and I'm scanning as he was and thinking where can I make the set so he doesn't see me. So there was an area with wonderful foreground cover, so I kept that in my sight and and walked to it, behind that I found a Honey locust. Believe me last tree I want to set up on. But I walked all the trails even though the tree had mininal cover the foreground and background cover was quite good.

A couple days later it was rainiing, thunderstorms and I came back I made that set and 2 weeks later I blew the draw on that same buck at 10 yards. It proved to be a very successful set. But it completely changed how I select trees today. In the off season you got to get on the buck trails and see how they're going to see it coming into the lanes.

Another good point of making the set in the rain or right before a big rain to wash the scent away if you are making a set that will stay.
Buckfever wrote: Wierd thing about these highly pressured deer as sharp as they are in the timber, not that they're not careful in their core bedding, but they are a little more vulnerable there, so if you can get tight undetected and have a set that from their vantage you don't get picked off, after they're up and they scan, they do settle down and move around a bit.

I really like your overall scouting, I really don't like that tree.

Sometimes too there isn't the hunt we want off the bed, these public land bucks are pretty amazing, but there might be a rut hunt off the bed in the breeding scrape area. I know there's aggressive tactics out there but on public land, what you've discovered here is golden, as long as you don't tip your hand.

The scanning happens all the time. I think it's more of a matter of how the deer are hunted. If their used to treestand hunting they will scan up as much as they do down. If they are used to more ground danger they scan less up and focus more on the ground from what I've noticed.
Some good points made that may help some people put it all together if their not thinking about the big picture.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri May 20, 2011 4:56 am

Buckfever has brought up some excellent points-

Doc, I think I may be able to advance the point you are trying to make by adding some video... take it a little farther along than a stick man in a tree, anyway. I have shot heavy pressure public land bucks when they stood up in their bed, and when they have walked 18 feet forward from their bed, etc. With a bow, I have to let them come out a bit. It is important to walk their entrance and exit routes, and visually examine from the buck's viewpoint where you will be stationed (remember the right wind, take notes). Seeing what the buck will see when he enters or exits can make all the difference. These clips are from my set-ups on a couple of heavy pressure bucks- I located myself very close to the beds and hoped to take advantage of the first reasonable opportunity to slip an arrow through to the buck before dark. You will notice that my set-ups are not just to the side of the buck's exit, but slightly backward as well. I hunted this perennial buck bedding area one time without success, but hope to return to it for a hunt or two this fall.

Dan and all other Hunting Beast members, please do not lynch me! :lol:

I made these videos for entertaining my hunting buddies and I before the Hunting Beast came into existence:

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NY3GaztjsM[/bbvideo]

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU-Xzjg09MU[/bbvideo]
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri May 20, 2011 6:50 am

You call that thick? That's the kind of easy walking I look for now that I'm becoming an old fart. :lol: Nice, entertaining, narration by the way. :lol: What did you shoot out of there?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Fri May 20, 2011 11:52 am

That was pretty funny, i think the second example of thee set up in the pines that is not visible till it's too late is a very good illustration. Getting to that set undetected would probably be the issue there.

I do agree with deerslayer though that's not what we call thick. Which brings up another very important point. When we're hutning the thick stuff tight to the bedding, the right set is the right set and often there are no natural seems for shooting lanes. So we have to be willing to do the work and need to do it post season, so that it grows in and you're not tipping your hand to the other hunters but also, it has to be manicured to not tip your hand to the mature buck. It's got to be big enough to execute the shot, but no more. If it's too big or fresh they won't steep into it.

This past season I had one guy put his head into the hole. He stood there for three minutes but wouldn't step into it. I already had him scored, but he very comfortably just stepped back and meandered back the way he came.

But the question I have to ask singing bridge is why'd you put up the pic of the three trunked maple. You weren't ever going to hunt out of that one anyway.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat May 21, 2011 2:13 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:You call that thick? That's the kind of easy walking I look for now that I'm becoming an old fart. :lol: Nice, entertaining, narration by the way. :lol: What did you shoot out of there?

I only hunted that area one time, unsuccessfully- I plan on rotating through there again if the timing and conditions are right.

Buckfever wrote:But the question I have to ask singing bridge is why'd you put up the pic of the three trunked maple. You weren't ever going to hunt out of that one anyway.

I wouldn't say I would never hunt out of it- I consider it a secondary location when compared to my bedding areas, but circumstances may present themselves where it becomes an option. I don't think I will let you near it with a chain saw though. :mrgreen:
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat May 21, 2011 7:57 am

Singing Bridge wrote:...I wouldn't say I would never hunt out of it...

My guess is that if you can get the proper weather conditions, the best time to hunt it would be October 25-28th (if your hunting scrapes). OR if you are lucky enough to have a community scrape that is being used in August or September (a rare and wonderful gem to find!) you may be able to hunt it around the opener.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun May 20, 2012 12:44 am

Bridge,
Did you have any luck in this spot last fall?
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue May 22, 2012 2:24 am

dan wrote:Bridge,
Did you have any luck in this spot last fall?

Dan, I never had the opportunity to hunt it. I did manage to get in there again this spring and locate two buck bedding areas that utilize the travel corridors mentioned. I picked a tree for the bedding area that appears to hold older age class bucks than the other one. These bedding areas and the travel corridors mentioned at the front of the post went unhunted again last fall, they are very well hidden. The deer population is really high in this area, and just outside of the hidden bedding and travel, the hunting pressure is off the charts. There are a half dozen stands (illegal) in trees right now just outside the edge of this area.

My approach to hunt the tree in the photo is very good in relation to bedding and travel by the bucks, it will definitely warrant some consideration. When the day of the week / wind / season is right, I have a strong chance of getting an opportunity at a three year old in this tree. A three year old buck is exceptional in this area...
jlh42581
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jlh42581

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:42 am

I would kill for a deer density problem.

When I went to Ohio this spring to scout it made me realize just how bad home is. Its rather disheartening. Even the area I found further west inside PA is just light years ahead in deer population compared to home. The game commission wanted a lower population, they got it here and went to far.

I saw my first deer of spring in an area I can hunt while hunting turkeys Saturday. First deer, with all my scouting and turkey hunting I have done, its almost sickening to hear you guys talk about finding beds because there is no deer here to find their bed anymore. Ive seen equally the same amount of bears already.

I wont give up, some day maybe I can join you guys in the midwest. Bought my first Iowa point this year.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sun May 27, 2012 11:05 pm

jlh42581 wrote:I would kill for a deer density problem.

When I went to Ohio this spring to scout it made me realize just how bad home is. Its rather disheartening. Even the area I found further west inside PA is just light years ahead in deer population compared to home. The game commission wanted a lower population, they got it here and went to far.

I saw my first deer of spring in an area I can hunt while hunting turkeys Saturday. First deer, with all my scouting and turkey hunting I have done, its almost sickening to hear you guys talk about finding beds because there is no deer here to find their bed anymore. Ive seen equally the same amount of bears already.

I wont give up, some day maybe I can join you guys in the midwest. Bought my first Iowa point this year.

That stinks, hope Ohio works out for you
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon May 28, 2012 12:52 am

That stinks, hope Ohio works out for you

Agreed, your situation at home doesn't sound good at all. Hopefully your state game agency smartens up enough to allow a reasonable recovery of the population.

The area in this post has a high deer population, comprised of does and yearlings. A two year old buck is great to see, the hunting pressure decimates the buck crop every year. A three year old is something to get really excited about.

Having a high deer population isn't always a good thing- but having the herd decimated like in your home area is really a shame.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”