Apple Trees From Seed

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Apple Trees From Seed

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:56 pm

Started out on my quest to grow some apple trees from seed. Ideally they will end up in pots by the end of summer, over winter in the house and put on more growth and by spring I will have some knowledge in grafting and can graft some good fruiting buds to them. HOWEVER, I am too wishful sometime so right now we will see what happens. I gathered my seeds and stored them in the fridge as I was supposed too. I kept them moist and while checking them after a week or two or not noticed most of my seeds were sprouting. Went to school greenhouse but there was no vancany so I took one of their planting flats, some used potting soil and headed for home. Attached are the pics of the beginning of the project. The tray is in a big south facing porch window that should heat up and gather sunlight nicely throughout the day. Anyone else have success with a project like this ever?

Sprouting Seeds

"Stolen" Tray from school

All planted and in the window

I had 18 planting spaces in my tray but 20 seeds with sprouts and 4 seeds that had yet to sprout. I squeezed the extras into the cells with sprouting seeds that seems dry and possibly near death. We will see what results. I may go after some dogwood cuttings this weekend and plant them in the ground on easter as well as the 100 trees I have on order to arrive this weekend. Tis the season happy planting everyone.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: Apple Trees From Seed

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:09 pm

Keep us informed on how this project turns out. very interesting
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:25 am

yes please keep us updated!
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:08 am

what types of applestrees, are they different for pollinization eventually?
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:41 am

They all came from the same types of apples I don't even remember what they are anymore. When they get big enough to be worth anything I will probably use them to experiment with grafting more than anything. I was at the local nursery shopping bareroot trees and shrubs today and may end up buying a few of their more mature bareroot apple trees to speed of the fruit production process. Not sure though yet right now this is just kind of an experiment for fun...
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:17 pm

Wrinkleneck wrote:Keep us informed on how this project turns out. very interesting

X2 :D
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:52 pm

Here are the seedlings 16 days after I planted them. They are coming along nicely considering the lack of sunlight lately.

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:45 am

;)
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:46 am

how neat. will enjoy watching these grow via cyber space!!

I still need to take pics of this apple tree out back for Deerslayer. Have no idea what it is, but my pigs love it.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:45 am

CarolsCritterCare wrote:...Have no idea what it is, but my pigs love it.

How big do the apples get on it?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:38 am

When in the woods, I see small oaks growing from acorns. I have never found young apple tree's growing randomly from the apples that grow on the tree's. Are young apple tree's so good tasting the deer/rabbits wont allow them to grow? You mentioned grafting. Is that taking a branch from a known apple producing tree and merging it with a hardy root stock?
Ken
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:35 pm

kenn1320 wrote:When in the woods, I see small oaks growing from acorns. I have never found young apple tree's growing randomly from the apples that grow on the tree's. Are young apple tree's so good tasting the deer/rabbits wont allow them to grow? You mentioned grafting. Is that taking a branch from a known apple producing tree and merging it with a hardy root stock?
Ken

Thats exactly what grafting is. It also usually produces fruit sooner and more consistently than trees grown from seed. I am not sure about the apple seedlings. I think part of it is because the apple seeds have to go through a period of cold temperature before the seeds are ready to sprout which is why I stored mine in the fridge. I am wondering if the apple trees in northern climates where we are that may start from seed don't grow enough to withstand a frost let alone a whole northern winter.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon May 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Its been awhile since I've updated. I've been preoccupied lately due to work and moving home from college but the apple trees are doing well. Due to some poor moving conditions and an accidental drought brought on by me I lost 3-4 trees. The rest are doing great and are too big for the trays it's time for pots for the individual trees now. Here they are a few inches tall.

Fuzzy

Unread postby Fuzzy » Fri May 27, 2011 4:48 am

Looks like a good start. I did the same thing a few years ago starting them in the patio window for about year. One thing I learned is that by growing them indoors my trees grew tall fast but did not have much for strength. What I mean by that is when I put them outside the following summer they bent over in the wind. Eventually they all straightened up but I think it stressed them a little. If I did it again I would get them out in the elements more often to sort toughen them up. Be sure to protect them from rabbits and deer. I lost all twelve of mine the first year by not taking the steps to protect them. Good luck and keep us posted.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri May 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Good tips fuzz! A little common sense woulda helped me a few days ago during those heavy rains in SE WI. I have been leaving my apple trees outside hoping that they will become a little more hardy than plants grown strictly in an indoor environment. I forgot to bring them in during heavy downpours though and they got their butts kicked. Hoping they will bounce back!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”