Pray for me bitten by Deer Tick

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
User avatar
Brandon
500 Club
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:24 am
Location: MD & VA
Status: Offline

Re: Pray for me bitten by Deer Tick

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:16 am

Bucky wrote:
dan wrote:
Brandon wrote:how do you know it was female tick?

Why do you say '1 in 3 my tick has lymes'?

Also... I get ticks all the time, pull em off and keep hunting. If you get a bullseye, go get antiboitics. Nothing to fret over... you just can let it go untreated. Just watch the bite....

Not all infecting bites get the bullseye... If I remember right only 1 out of 3 get it.
When I talked to a specialist he told me that he prescribes the antibiotic to anybody that is confirmed bit regardless of the 24 hour rule because the antibiotic being cheap, easy, and relitivly safe.


I agree, if I have a confirmed bite... I want the antibiotics. I have seen some sick sick people with late stage lymes disease = SUCKS!



wow... the things you here from notherners! lol... If i went to the doc and/or took antibotics for every tick bite ive ever had.... antibotics wouldnt work anymore Id be so immune to em! Ive literally been bit by hundreds of deer ticks as well as most hunters or outdoorsmen in my state. Ticks of all shapes and sizes around here, and there are signs you need treatment... you will be sick. Late stage lymes is pretty hard to get unless its misdiagnosed or plain not treated. Im going turkey hunting next Monday and plan to have a few ticks and prob chiggers to knowing my luck... never seen anyone panic liek you guys, is lymes very prevalant in your state?? No one even pays it attention around here, although Ive know dogs that have gotten sick... but maybe 1 or 2 people in my whole life? Save it in a baggie?? heck, my babysitter used to pull em off us kids every single day and burn em with a match! I guess you can never be 'to careful', but you wouldnt last long spring turkey hunting around here long, much less a real southern state.

Good luck on the clean diagnosis.

Also, Dan... he said "1 in 3 chance my tick is a carrier"... that was what I was referring to... how in the world is 1 out of 3 ticks infected in your state???


You can't kill em on the couch
User avatar
headgear
500 Club
Posts: 11476
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:21 am
Location: Northern Minnesota
Status: Offline

Re: Pray for me bitten by Deer Tick

Unread postby headgear » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:51 am

Brandon if you are in a tick zone the chances are pretty high that you can get it. Where I hunt in Northern MN I worry very little, but where I hunt in Central MN you have to really watch out. I know dozens of people who have gotten lymes in the past 5 years.

Image
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 39200
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Pray for me bitten by Deer Tick

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:59 am

Also, Dan... he said "1 in 3 chance my tick is a carrier"... that was what I was referring to... how in the world is 1 out of 3 ticks infected in your state???

I have no idea how many are inffected, but that number sounds about right for Wisconsin... I know several people whom had Lymes disease including me, and Andrae... I believe Andrae has some permanant issues because of his bite.
From what the experts told me when I had it, if you wait till you have symtoms you waited to long.
User avatar
Brandon
500 Club
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:24 am
Location: MD & VA
Status: Offline

Re: Pray for me bitten by Deer Tick

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:06 am

headgear wrote:Brandon if you are in a tick zone the chances are pretty high that you can get it. Where I hunt in Northern MN I worry very little, but where I hunt in Central MN you have to really watch out. I know dozens of people who have gotten lymes in the past 5 years.

Image


wow... thanks for the chart.... looks like im smack dab in the middle of the dark blue! its 8 years old, but 'food for thought' as they say... i wonder if 2010-11 would be similar?

anyhow, what you need is "permithrin" spray to treat your clothes, it doesnt wash off and it works! I tihnk companies even sell clothes pre treated all ready these days... never hear anything about lymes or ticv bites around here, just curious is all. good luck and keep the ticks off! :)
You can't kill em on the couch
User avatar
headgear
500 Club
Posts: 11476
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:21 am
Location: Northern Minnesota
Status: Offline

Re: Pray for me bitten by Deer Tick

Unread postby headgear » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:20 am

Also from what our doc said about half the bites don't even show the traditional bullseye so any time you start feeling lymes like symptoms get in asap even if you can't find a bite.
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 39200
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Pray for me bitten by Deer Tick

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:24 am

The biggest problem around here is convincing the doctors of what you have... Mine kept telling me " 1 in 10,000 odds " Yea... If your a couch potato... I had to do my own research and go over his head. He said the bullseye was probably a bruise but when confronted with the bite mark in the middle he said likely a spider bite... Then I had to reserch the bite pattern to show the differerance between a spider bite and a tick :roll:
User avatar
Swampthing
500 Club
Posts: 3335
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:13 pm
Location: Western Minnesota
Status: Offline

Re: Pray for me bitten by Deer Tick

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:41 am

Brandon wrote:how do you know it was female tick?

Why do you say '1 in 3 my tick has lymes'?

Also... I get ticks all the time, pull em off and keep hunting. If you get a bullseye, go get antiboitics. Nothing to fret over... you just can let it go untreated. Just watch the bite....


Females have a larger area of red on them and only 1 in 3 females carry .
Image
User avatar
Swampthing
500 Club
Posts: 3335
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:13 pm
Location: Western Minnesota
Status: Offline

Re: Pray for me bitten by Deer Tick

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:06 pm

Continually amazes me how seemingly innocent post always gets morphed into some tough-man competition.This post started out as more of a joke than anything.Hence the phrase "Pray for me" hopefully it was,nt taken literally Brandon.If you did than I apologize.And in the future I,ll be more careful with my words.Until then please spare the rest of us weak men on this site
the discomfort of having to read your words.Unless of course they offer up some valueable advice.Mabey someday in the future when I decide to become a real toughman .I,ll find my way up where to Maine or wherever you hail from.And maybe you could graciously teach me the ways of manlihood.Show me how to stand tall ,when bitten by hundreds off deerticks, and brave the unforgiving spring turkey hunts.
User avatar
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club
Posts: 3011
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:13 am
Status: Offline

Re: Pray for me bitten by Deer Tick

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:20 pm

Swampthing wrote:Continually amazes me how seemingly innocent post always gets morphed into some tough-man competition.This post started out as more of a joke than anything.Hence the phrase "Pray for me" hopefully it was,nt taken literally Brandon.If you did than I apologize.And in the future I,ll be more careful with my words.Until then please spare the rest of us weak men on this site
the discomfort of having to read your words.Unless of course they offer up some valueable advice.Mabey someday in the future when I decide to become a real toughman .I,ll find my way up where to Maine or wherever you hail from.And maybe you could graciously teach me the ways of manlihood.Show me how to stand tall ,when bitten by hundreds off deerticks, and brave the unforgiving spring turkey hunts.



PRICELESS!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
User avatar
Brandon
500 Club
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:24 am
Location: MD & VA
Status: Offline

Re: Pray for me bitten by Deer Tick

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:12 am

Swampthing wrote:Continually amazes me how seemingly innocent post always gets morphed into some tough-man competition.This post started out as more of a joke than anything.Hence the phrase "Pray for me" hopefully it was,nt taken literally Brandon.If you did than I apologize.And in the future I,ll be more careful with my words.Until then please spare the rest of us weak men on this site
the discomfort of having to read your words.Unless of course they offer up some valueable advice.Mabey someday in the future when I decide to become a real toughman .I,ll find my way up where to Maine or wherever you hail from.And maybe you could graciously teach me the ways of manlihood.Show me how to stand tall ,when bitten by hundreds off deerticks, and brave the unforgiving spring turkey hunts.


wow dude... really?? a whole enire paragraph continually insulting me?? i was trying to learn...and JOKING about the differences. You have thin skin and dont attack me in a post ever again. I NEVER did that to you and if you have something to say... Ill give you myt phone number, or you cn PM me. I wouldnt bash someone on a public forum... and if you felt I did Im truley sorry as that was not my intent. Save the name calling and tough man talk for AT or another site... I dont argue here and this is my last post. Dont say "If you did than I apologize.And in the future I,ll be more careful with my words.", then immedialtley insult the rest of the post? and why answer my questions... then come back hours later to bash me in another additional concurrent post? take your own advise bud... and backwoods... what gives?? "priceless"... please... :roll:
-Brandon
You can't kill em on the couch
User avatar
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club
Posts: 3011
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:13 am
Status: Offline

Re: Pray for me bitten by Deer Tick

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:39 am

I just thought it was funny dude small "squabbles" rarely occur here this is just a prime example of how internet "discussion" can be taken out of context. I thought this man seriously wanted prayers for his deer tick bite, and I thought some of the discussion on here was quite pointless. This is a quality example of how just about everything on this post was totally twisted and how easy it is to twist everything. I got a chuckle out of it. I'd apologize but there is nothing to be sorry about this was all a simple misunderstanding boys!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
User avatar
PredatorTC
500 Club
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:50 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Pray for me bitten by Deer Tick

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:08 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote: I thought this man seriously wanted prayers for his deer tick bite


x2
User avatar
BJE80
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:18 am
Status: Offline

Re: Pray for me bitten by Deer Tick

Unread postby BJE80 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:36 am

Do you guys do anything for wood tick bites? I've had serveral attached to me this spring. One for about 16 hours as I missed it.


Some things I've read say wood ticks don't carry and some say they can carry but it's rare.
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 39200
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Pray for me bitten by Deer Tick

Unread postby dan » Sat May 12, 2012 4:10 am

BJE80 wrote:Do you guys do anything for wood tick bites? I've had serveral attached to me this spring. One for about 16 hours as I missed it.


Some things I've read say wood ticks don't carry and some say they can carry but it's rare.

I get about 50 or so wood tick bites a year... No problems yet. The only positive bite from a deer tick ended up giving me lymes disease. I pull a few off of me each year though... I think they need to be attached for a certain number of hours before they do the damage.
User avatar
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator
Posts: 8197
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:22 pm
Location: Western L.P. of MI
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Pray for me bitten by Deer Tick

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat May 12, 2012 5:51 am

Brandon wrote:wow dude... really?? a whole enire paragraph continually insulting me?? i was trying to learn...and JOKING about the differences. You have thin skin and dont attack me in a post ever again. I NEVER did that to you and if you have something to say... Ill give you myt phone number, or you cn PM me. I wouldnt bash someone on a public forum... and if you felt I did Im truley sorry as that was not my intent. Save the name calling and tough man talk for AT or another site... I dont argue here and this is my last post. Dont say "If you did than I apologize.And in the future I,ll be more careful with my words.", then immedialtley insult the rest of the post? and why answer my questions... then come back hours later to bash me in another additional concurrent post? take your own advise bud... and backwoods... what gives?? "priceless"... please... :roll:
-Brandon

Brandon, I took Swampthing's pray for me statement as serious and not as a joke, but there is nothing wrong with that and I see no reason for your condescending responce to it.

However, DO NOT "EVER" make a threatening statement to another member on here again. It is against forum rules and just plain uncalled for.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral


  • Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests