Any Suburban Bowhunters on here?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
GRFox
500 Club

Re: Any Suburban Bowhunters on here?

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:55 am

[quote="headgear"]GRFox
I think Dan hit the nail on the head, those preferred bedding spots are out there, you will just have to keep searching. The big problem with suburban hunting like you pointed out is the access, the best bedding areas could be on land you can't hunt and that might be why you are having a problem finding the buck hot zones. In fact the best bedding probably is on land that no one can access which is why it is a great bedding area for old wise bucks

You are correct my friend. Lucky for me I have access to a couple spots that people would absolutely kill to hunt. We see the big old boys every year and I have permission on two prices that are right around 1000 acres...those are places where I can pattern a buck beast style....but I just obtained permission so I will need to put in alot of time. People would be amazed at the quality of our bucks....there are Boone class deer killed every year in my county...which is impressive for new York.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:14 am

I have hunted in subdivisions/close proximity to houses. I took my biggest buck out of a sub that was a single dirt road that wondered about 3/8 of a mile and all the homes had 5 acre lots. TONS of 10ft high brush with some rolling elevation. I found the deer had a tolerance for people, but only if they did routine things. I watched deer observe people in their mowed yards and the minute somebody stepped in the brush, they were gone. These deer always seemed on alert, as human danger was always within 75yds of them. Add to that all the dogs getting loose or left to run around and the deer were very edgy. I had deer cut my entrance trail and they were out of there like they were shot out of a cannon. However as you can imagine, its places like this that a buck can live a few years. Seems any place guns arent allowed you stand a decent chance at seeing something older then 1.5yrs old. My buck had corn in it, closest ag field was a long ways away. He could have got it from somebodys back yard, who knows. The hardest part for me is 2 does I shot both ran off the property I was hunting. Luckily they didnt end up in a yard, but one did cross a yard. I retrieved both with no ill affects, but also didnt go knocking on doors letting neighbors know I was hoping to find a deer I shot. I have since stopped hunting areas like that, not worth the negative exposure it could bring to archery and or hunting in general.
Ken
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Thu May 05, 2011 8:22 pm

My uncle had a customer that ate at his restaurant and would tell him stories about these two big bucks that would use his 5 ac property to bed in a subdivision near some crops. One early October morning while in a steel and reinforced concrete design lecture, my uncle texted me this story and told me that his customer buddy Ben said I could try to hunt the buck that afternoon because neither of them hunt. Time was just slowly tickin' away during the rest of the 50 min lecture but afterwards, I called Ben immediately just to make sure my uncle wasn't joking around. Ben turned out to be a pretty cool and sarcastic guy on the phone. I biked as fast as I could to my apartment from campus, grabbed my bow and my old trusty aluminum API tree stand along with some screw-ins and drove off onto the interstate a mere 18 miles. Before long, I was in Ben's driveway in the 'burbs and he was telling me that my only chance of taking him was either stalking him from the swamp and up to his bed, or to hang a tree stand near where he had seen him a few nights leaving his bedding area. I never stalk deer so I told him I would rather hang a stand and hope for the best. Finally, he showed me the buck and we were just watching him with binoculars right outta his upstairs living room window. :shock: I couldn't believe my eyes, he was just laying next to a blow down and was actually dozing off here and there. The terrain is basically a gradual ridge that fell to a swamp bottom. Long story short, I circled the property, hung the stand, exchanged a few texts with Ben before he went out to dinner with the family and made sure the buck was still there. This was way before I had seen or heard of the hill country DVD so I didn't know a thing about thermals or why the buck was bedding here on "certain" days as Ben described. Well, as I was thinking about how much I should be at campus working on a lab report instead, I spotted him up on the ridge in some thick brush and tall grass headed my way for a 25 yard shot. As I drew back while he was walking towards me, I saw that one of the blades on the two-blade Rage broadhead I was gonna shoot through him had come loose from the o-ring!!! I panicked and let down hoping to pop it into place with the o-ring quickly before he was in the opening I wanted to shoot him in, but he suddenly stopped as he caught some of my wind from the thermals rising to him. We had a short stare down and he bounded back to where he came from. It's a day that will never leave my memory as long as I don't contract Alzheimer's. Also, the last time a Rage was screwed onto any of my arrows. :roll:

Years later, I got the goosebumps as I finally understood how that buck even knew of my presence after watching a cheap DVD from Gander MTN.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri May 06, 2011 2:52 am

Good story Jack, I don't have anything similar but after I watched both vids there were several light bulbs that went off in my head from past encounters with bucks.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri May 06, 2011 2:55 am

8-) Story Jack. Pretty neat when the light bulb comes on!
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Wed May 11, 2011 8:27 am

Here is the deer from the earlier post on this thread. Not too shabby for NC deer.

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:53 am

TTT
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:35 pm

I've been hunting suburbia for the last 6 years and have killed 5 record class deer. By far my favorite type of hunting. The deer get age in my area since I only have 5 acres and the hunters around me get that QDM is beneficial to our success. Its amazing when everyone sees the big picture.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:38 pm

rutnbuck wrote:I've been hunting suburbia for the last 6 years and have killed 5 record class deer. By far my favorite type of hunting. The deer get age in my area since I only have 5 acres and the hunters around me get that QDM is beneficial to our success. Its amazing when everyone sees the big picture.

MAN LAW!!! You can't make a post like this without sharing some pics with us come on now!!!! :D :lol:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:41 pm

rutnbuck wrote:I've been hunting suburbia for the last 6 years and have killed 5 record class deer. By far my favorite type of hunting. The deer get age in my area since I only have 5 acres and the hunters around me get that QDM is beneficial to our success. Its amazing when everyone sees the big picture.

pics please 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:43 pm

I will share when I'm not mobile.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:44 pm

rutnbuck wrote:I will share when I'm not mobile.

:dance: :dance: :dance: sweet cant wait
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:39 pm

I grew up hunting suburban style - I would bet pretty much everyone on this site would call what I hunt suburban. I have killed a lot of deer within 5 miles of D.C. I have killed most of my deer within 10 miles of D.C. There are better deer farther from the city because the deer densities are lower and they have better nutrition and some agriculture. D.C. was built on top of a swamp, it sits in a huge tidal basin. There is a lot of fertile ground right in and around the city - and I'm pretty sure there is some fertile ground right in and around NYC, which was also built on top of a giant wetland.

Suburban deer are tough to hunt - and every deer definitely has a different personality. What Dan always talks about with the "beast" style of hunting - what this website was founded on - hunting a deer's bed - is popular/unpopular for a reason. I have seen it proved many times over - but I have also seen it disproved many times over. Every deer has a different personality. Some deer are home bodies, and some deer are wanderers. Even deer that live in isolated urban environments can wander - I have seen it plenty of times. I have seen deer that show almost no pattern whatsoever and don't seem to hardly repeat anything more than once. But, I have also found years of sheds from deer within feet of each other - and plenty within a couple hundred feet of each other. Just today, I found a two year old antler from a big mature deer that I have the matched set to from last year - just 20 or so yards away. More often than not, I would say most deer can be patterned and show some vulnerability. I would also say a lot of deer favorite certain areas.

Like you said in your original post, it can be tough to find this vulnerability which makes a deer killable in an urban environment. If there is too much human intrusion in an area, mature bucks simply will not frequent the area. I am definitely familiar with the concept that you mentioned earlier where deer bed down in some type of cover, and then feed in/around houses in the yards at night. I have found a lot of antlers in yards - and some big ones at that. Deer will utilize their resources wherever they go. If they have a comfort level and feeling of security somewhere they will set up shop. They are extremely adaptable.

Hunting pressure is a whole other issue in these urban spots. I have ran into a ton of guys in the woods, had a lot of stuff stolen, and everything and anything goes. Those sheds I mentioned earlier being real close together, there is a stand with a well worn trail going to it about 30 yards away - that wasn't there last year. That's the way it goes. It's bound to happen in high population areas - there are just so many hunters and so little spots. Guys that don't want to put in the work to be legit just do whatever.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:45 pm

GRFox what county are you in? I grew up in Rockland. I am assuming you are in Rockland or Westchester? I still hunt a few Suburban spots occasionally, but lost access to my most productive ones. My best spot was 5 acres with no bedding, but was a spot were they had to travel thru. I think Dan's advice was spot on, but would like to add... Coyotes are probably putting more pressure on the bucks in your area than anything else, at least that is what I am seeing in these counties.
Keep at 'em!
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
ah110

Unread postby ah110 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:05 pm

Heres a couple bucks 45 mins north of NYC. Just started figuring things out over that past two years.

Dan and his videos has helped me tremendously. Even though instead of bedding on points, theyre bedding in highway medians and behind swingsets!

Heres a view from a stand i hit and lost what would of been my best buck. this is about 5 mins from bill & hilary clintons house. you can just see the million dollar houses in the back. I actually took the picture 20 mins before he came down the hill from the house.

'11 3.5yr old

'11 3.5yr old

'10

'10 2.5yr old

'10 3.5yr old

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”