Does Seeking Bucks to Breed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Does Seeking Bucks to Breed

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:35 am

I have learned a few things from tracking during the rut. Older does do not move very far during the breeding process. They tend to get into thick cover and stay there. They usually opt to run around and around in a small - thick area. I would guess they understand that moving is dangerous so they stay put. Fawn does on the otherhand will run and run (for miles in some cases). They act like they are scared and just keep running. Older does seem to understand whats happening and are more in control.
Bucks handle the rut different as well. Young bucks will pester the heck out of does where older bucks seem to give them space until they are ready to breed. Older bucks tend to hang close but allow the does to bed down. I think experience teaches them that if they don't chase the doe won't run.
Another thing I have learned is just how good bucks are at finding hot does. It is rare - even in areas of low densities - to have only one buck with a doe. Of course during peak rut this may not be the case because of buck - doe ratios. I know people are going to disagree with this but tracks don't lie. The process is said to take about 2 days and in those 2 days those bucks have a knack for finding receptive does. In the case of the buck I killed last year, there were at least 3 bucks after a hot doe. Two of those bucks eventually gave up and stopped folllowing the doe. I wouldn't be suprised if bucks can smell a hot doe from further than a half mile.
Though I have not witnessed older does going to the bucks and older bucks not out actively seeking, I have noticed big differences in the way the older and younger deer act during the rut. I also would'nt be shocked to find out that older does gravitate to buck areas when the time is right. If an older doe is ready and not being tended I would bet she would seek out a mate.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:19 am

Magic what you are saying sound very accurate to me, we often see and shoot our biggest rutting bucks right in the thick stuff with the older does. I also see younger bucks doing all the chansing and the older bucks seem to just follow the does and give them their space. They almost seem to have a place picked out to breed and they are traveling there together to get the job done, they move slow and cautious.

You are probably right on the multiple buck thing, I have seen track evidence of that during the rut too. I just don't see multiple bucks after one doe in hunting situations like many other do. It probably happens most often at night on public land, even more so when you rifle season lands on the rut.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:16 pm

headgear wrote:It's probably very area specific Stan. I hunt public bigwoods with low deer numbers and even more important low buck numbers so the rut is probably far different then what you see.

This will probably sound crazy but up here it is extremely rare to see multiple bucks chasing a doe, I have only seen it 2-3 times in 20+ years of hunting. Most of the time you will have a doe or two come by with a fork horn in tow, you'd think eventually another buck would follow up but I have spent many hours waiting for that to happen and most of the time I end up disappointed.

I agree, just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen in other geographical areas. The best chance for me to see multiple bucks chasing does is when the fist of the does in an area comes into heat.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:12 pm

headgear wrote:It's probably very area specific Stan. I hunt public bigwoods with low deer numbers and even more important low buck numbers so the rut is probably far different then what you see.

This will probably sound crazy but up here it is extremely rare to see multiple bucks chasing a doe, I have only seen it 2-3 times in 20+ years of hunting. Most of the time you will have a doe or two come by with a fork horn in tow, you'd think eventually another buck would follow up but I have spent many hours waiting for that to happen and most of the time I end up disappointed.

Most of the good buck tracks I find were made after dark so waiting for a big one to come along during hunting hours usually won't work. Have you ever went back the next day to see if anything came along that night? (asuming you have snow) Timing is important as well. If it's the peak of the rut most of the bucks will already be tending other does.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:13 am

magicman54494 wrote:. Have you ever went back the next day to see if anything came along that night? (asuming you have snow) Timing is important as well. If it's the peak of the rut most of the bucks will already be tending other does.

I've gone back to check a few times but we just haven't had a lot of snow the past several ruts so it was difficult to see if anything came through over night. Years ago I would have had a few opportunities with snow but I wasn't smart enough to go back and check for things like that.
Apex

Unread postby Apex » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks for the bump. I feel this topic is related to a topic I proposed a few weeks back. Would still like more opinions taken in consideration with this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19709

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:24 am

i dont know if a doe seeks a certain buck but i believe they seek bucks when they are ready to be bred. i have had does come prancing by with their tails wagging back and forth as if they are letting every buck in the area know they are ready and then bucks will wind em and follow that trail like a dog with nose to the ground. i once had a huge doe come right under me on a jog with taill wagging she would stop look around go a little further stop look around and kept on her marry way. about 20 minutes later a monster nontypical came over the cut corn field above me runnin dead the other way when he cuaght her thermal he slammed on the brakes put his head down smelled the ground then head up in the air smelling then he looked left looked right, he repeated this sequence twice(he was about 100 yards aaway at least) he then turns and runs exactly where she just went, i couldnt believe it . that was my second year hunting and i knew then i was hunting very smart animals!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”