Buck Bed Scrape

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Re: Buck Bed Scrape

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:32 am

dan wrote:I have taken a few bucks including one of my largest on primary scrapes ( or BBS ) within the staging area. Interestingly they seem to use these scrapes year round. I think I read above someone refferancing hitting them during the pre-rut. However, who knows where these bucks will show up come rut, especially f your looking for a specific buck. The big buck I metioned was a large 11 pointer scoring in the 160's with a 24 inch inside spread. I glassed him from a distance and watched him work the scrape within his staging area before he was even out of velvet. I shot him opening weekend of bow season as he viseted the scrape at around 1:00 in the afternoon...

I agree with Dan.....these primary scrapes can be some of the best to hunt for mature bucks. And when located are usually very close to a mature bucks core area. IMO as a buck reaches maturity, his world shrinks and becomes a creature of habit. He also doesn't leave much sign of his presence, few rubs or scrapes, other than just in his core area. He also doesn't participate in rutting activity like a younger buck, with a bunch of rubs and scrapelines.

I believe that many times the mature does in a area will seek him out when they come into estrus. And these primary scrapes is his calling card,if you will.
I can think of many times tracking a large buck track for hours and days, to locate a core area, so I could set up a hunt on him later. But the northern woods we hunt you could do that, in a heavy pressure area, it usually puts a tag on a nice buck for another hunter.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:10 am

dan wrote:I have taken a few bucks including one of my largest on primary scrapes ( or BBS ) within the staging area. Interestingly they seem to use these scrapes year round. I think I read above someone refferancing hitting them during the pre-rut. However, who knows where these bucks will show up come rut, especially f your looking for a specific buck. The big buck I metioned was a large 11 pointer scoring in the 160's with a 24 inch inside spread. I glassed him from a distance and watched him work the scrape within his staging area before he was even out of velvet. I shot him opening weekend of bow season as he viseted the scrape at around 1:00 in the afternoon...

If a buck that size walked out of its bed while I was hunting MidMich heavy pressure public, there'd be a new scrape at the bottom of my tree after I fell out, hit the ground and had a seizure. :shock: I knew that Dan had taken a buck or three from a buck bed scrape (bbs) and wanted to learn more about it from him and see what observations / success others have had. The buck beds I have prepped for this upcoming season are running about one in three that actually has a bbs within the staging area. These bucks will be 3.5 or older for me to target them this fall.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:19 am

Tadmdad wrote:He also doesn't leave much sign of his presence, few rubs or scrapes, other than just in his core area.

I have two mature bucks (4.5 or older) that I'll hunt this fall, both alive and well, that have ONE buck rub within the radius of their staging area from their bed- that's it. Both of these bucks have made hookings or scratches with their their rack on a couple of other trees... easy to overlook. One of these two bucks has a bbs inside his staging area.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:10 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:

If a buck that size walked out of its bed while I was hunting MidMich heavy pressure public, there'd be a new scrape at the bottom of my tree after I fell out, hit the ground and had a seizure. :shock: I knew that Dan had taken a buck or three from a buck bed scrape (bbs) and wanted to learn more about it from him and see what observations / success others have had. The buck beds I have prepped for this upcoming season are running about one in three that actually has a bbs within the staging area. These bucks will be 3.5 or older for me to target them this fall.

As I read through this post, can think of several bucks our group has killed on, or very near primary scrapes located within bedding area or (bbs). Would consider these located in the bucks staging area, bucks were bedded very close by. Most other bucks will avoid marking in this scrape.

But this type of scrape is different than what we refer to as a "community scrape" where multiple bucks will use the same scrape. Community scrapes would be in crossings or funnels where many deer move through a area. And every deer moving through the area will scent check or mark in the scrape.

Ed shot this buck, 2:30 in the afternoon, 11/8/2007. Buck was called into primary scrape using a doe bleat. Backtracked this buck after he was killed
and was bedded on a finger ridetop within 150 yds of his primary scrape.
10pt 160's

Bob shot this buck, 1:00 in the afternoon, 11/13/2007. Buck was grunted and rattled into his primary scrape within his core area. Buck was bedded less than 100 yrs from scrape, in a thick swamp and came crashing into his setup.
15 scorable pts 160's

Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:21 pm

Couple more.

Mike shot this buck, 11:30 in the morning, 11/12/2008. Buck was killed after a doe marked this buck's primary scrape, moved into bucks bedding area on hillside with alot of blowdowns, several minutes later buck was chasing the doe.
Buck bedded about 200 yards away from primary scrape. 10pt 130's

I killed this buck, 5:30 in the afternoon,11/11/2008, just before dark. Was coming out of his bedding area and freshening his primary scrape. Bedded about 150 yds from this scrape. 10pt 140's

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:54 pm

As I read through this post, can think of several bucks our group has killed on, or very near primary scrapes located within bedding area or (bbs). Would consider these located in the bucks staging area, bucks were bedded very close by. Most other bucks will avoid marking in this scrape.

But this type of scrape is different than what we refer to as a "community scrape" where multiple bucks will use the same scrape. Community scrapes would be in crossings or funnels where many deer move through a area. And every deer moving through the area will scent check or mark in the scrape.

This is interesting... Because I have seen the complete opisate and I wonder if its timing related.
Most of the bucks we have taken over scrapes within the staging area were actually taken very early in the season ( September or early October ) But I have seen multiple bucks use the scrape. On one set up me and a friend shot almost identical 9 pointers back to back two days in a row on a staging area scrape, and a few weeks later we killed another buck off that one... I am wondering if your seeing only one buck is related to you hunting later towards rut when bucks atre more territorial.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:51 am

Got things Rockin' now, don't I? :mrgreen:
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:04 am

dan wrote:

This is interesting... Because I have seen the complete opisate and I wonder if its timing related.
Most of the bucks we have taken over scrapes within the staging area were actually taken very early in the season ( September or early October ) But I have seen multiple bucks use the scrape. On one set up me and a friend shot almost identical 9 pointers back to back two days in a row on a staging area scrape, and a few weeks later we killed another buck off that one... I am wondering if your seeing only one buck is related to you hunting later towards rut when bucks atre more territorial.

That is interesting...and I really don't know the answer.
It may be that we are hunting closer to the rut, and the bucks become more territorial, they certainly become more aggressive towards the rut and become less toleriant of younger bucks. I can think of a couple of times that being setup on a mature buck bedding area, that I saw young bucks come into the bedding area and get very nervous and get the heck out of there. I can only assume that they were aware of the mature bucks presence.

But maybe it's a function of different locations that we hunt. In the northern woods we hunt, there is miles of country and low deer densities. So maybe there isn't as much competition for prime bedding areas that there would be in ag/marsh territory with higher deer densities and more competition, not sure.

In the area we hunt, there is one particular spot that 2 ridges come together
with a creek down in the bottom, that drains a large bedding area. There has been a active scrape there for probably 8-10 years that we have hunted that area, the guys have killed a couple of decent bucks there over the years. And pretty much every deer, buck or doe will check or mark that scrape. This is what we refer to as a community scrape, used by multiple deer to leave their scent.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:07 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Got things Rockin' now, don't I? :mrgreen:

SB....wasn't that your intent. :mrgreen:

Helps pass the off season...before turkey hunting.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:24 am

But maybe it's a function of different locations that we hunt. In the northern woods we hunt, there is miles of country and low deer densities. So maybe there isn't as much competition for prime bedding areas that there would be in ag/marsh territory with higher deer densities and more competition, not sure.

I was kind of thinking the same thing... When I was seeing most of the multiple bucks using the same staging areas it was usually in high deer population areas... Come to think about it, that monster heavy buck I shot was working a scrape in his staging area and I shot him right in the scrape about 5 minutes after passing on a 140 ten point in the same scrape. But again, that was before rut.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:18 am

dan wrote:

I was kind of thinking the same thing... When I was seeing most of the multiple bucks using the same staging areas it was usually in high deer population areas... Come to think about it, that monster heavy buck I shot was working a scrape in his staging area and I shot him right in the scrape about 5 minutes after passing on a 140 ten point in the same scrape. But again, that was before rut.

Yes...I have to agree, in the pre-rut bucks seem to be more tolerant of one another. But as the rut approaches they become more aggressive and less tolerant of one another.

Maybe in areas with higher deer densities, the bucks territory is smaller and they share common areas. I have a couple of buddies that hunt nothing but ag land, and they talk about multiple bucks chasing a estrous doe. And competition is very high during the seeking/chasing phase of the rut. Thats something we very rarely see in the northern woods.
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:12 am

That is one of my favorite articles Dan and a SLOB of a buck...you said that you shoot him at 1:00 and are you always in the tree this early because what if it is just bad timing and you enter when the buck was using the scape?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:13 am

Stuart wrote:That is one of my favorite articles Dan and a SLOB of a buck...you said that you shoot him at 1:00 and are you always in the tree this early because what if it is just bad timing and you enter when the buck was using the scape?

Bad timing sucks Stuart... :lol: Sneaking in and paying attention to what is going on around you helps.
It was raining lightly that day and I was expecting that buck to work the scrape when it quit raining. He did not let me down.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:02 pm

dan wrote:

It could be just area related.

That could be a result of the bachelor group that hasn't broken up yet and they were all bedding in the same relative area still on their summer pattern. When you hit those days in pre rut this is a very deadly tactic hunting the bbs. The timing has to be right. The bachelor groups need to be broke up and the does need to be getting close to coming in estrous(as in the bucks know it's close but it's not yet time). When your hunting the dominant buck in the area, as said, he's very territorial and he will be the only one using this scrape and he isn't going anywhere, he will stay on that property/area until he breeds all the does in the area and then he will travel.These dominant bucks won't do all that chasing and running the does because they know their not ready yet and they conserve their energy.I think that's what Tadmdad was hitting those magical dates where the tensions are rising and those bucks are ready to rumble and fight anything that's threatening their area and their breeding rights they already established.

I hunt hill and farm country and in both situations I have seen upto 8 bucks chasing one doe and in the 8 buck situation I saw a 160" buck fighting off all 7 during the rut. He would go to run one off and another would get on the doe and he would run another off and another would take his place etc. I never did get a shot at the buck but I kinda felt sorry for him as he was pretty wore out and for all I know he could've died from exhaustion.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:23 am

[Quote JRM6868]

When your hunting the dominant buck in the area, as said, he's very territorial and he will be the only one using this scrape and he isn't going anywhere, he will stay on that property/area until he breeds all the does in the area and then he will travel.These dominant bucks won't do all that chasing and running the does because they know their not ready yet and they conserve their energy.I think that's what Tadmdad was hitting those magical dates where the tensions are rising and those bucks are ready to rumble and fight anything that's threatening their area and their breeding rights they already established.

JRM6868, you make some good points.

I can speak to more northern woods situations because thats where we hunt.
We hunt closer to the rut, rather than early season.

This maybe off topic of bbs.....But as the rut approaches, just as the first does come into estrous, a dominant buck becomes territorial and very aggressive. We try to use that aggressiveness to our advantage, using aggressive calling and rattling in many setups. Under the right time and conditions if you can slip in on a dominant bucks bedding area and get close
they just can't resist there instincts, they just need to investigate. And I can say from first hand experience there is nothing more exciting than having a agressive buck come charging in to you setup. Only thing that comes close is elk hunting during bugle season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”