Extreme Hunting Pressure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

How heavy is the hunting pressure in your favorite area(s)?

Very High
18%
High
42%
Average
18%
Below Average
18%
Very Low
4%

Total votes: 45
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Re: Extreme Hunting Pressure

Unread postby Casper » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:53 am

My best property has I believe 8 guys with permission and its only 140 acres.... Im almost better off hunting public.

The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:50 am

Well the question was my favorite place to hunt and that is KS. I only bow hunt it and others hunt the same property so the pressure is likely average. The locals talk about how they gun hunt and Id say that pressure is extreme due to lack of cover in the area. They drive along the creeks with their trucks and fire .22 cal bullets into it until they bust deer out, then hi pwr rifles and the chase is on. They call this "shooting out the creek".
Now if I had answered where I typically hunt, thats in the thumb area of Mi. The DNR reports 95% of all bucks are shot each year. Lots of deer drives/road hunting/trespassing in that area. That area is mainly small wood lots with big open fields. Id say that pressure is extreme.
Ken
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:09 am

I hunt the full spectrum of hunting pressure from very low to very high. I hunt 99% public most years, 100% during 2010. Some areas I refuse to hunt during gun season due to the degree of danger. A top end buck in the high pressure areas would be a 150". The good news is that there are bucks of this caliber out there even though far and few between. Also there are many more ( in comparison ) in the 110-130" to keep me bow hunting these high pressure areas. It really comes down to knowing what to do in the off season and how much preseason time/work that a hunter wants to or can put into researching the deer he/she is hunting and then to apply this knowledge while hunting well. Keep hunting keep learning. There are killable trophy bucks in these high pressure public areas and I'll be out there after them until I can't anymore.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:11 pm

my pvt land is tresspassed regularly and has little bedding cover so the pressure is high. The state land I hunt is high to very high pressure. I have enjoyed going outta state where the pressure is moderate and deer behave more normally ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”