Where would you setup?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Where would you setup?

Unread postby Casper » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:20 pm

There has been some talk in the past on how high to hunt. I did some scouting today and saw this tree. It is the only option within a hundred yards. I started to think how high and which direction would I setup in this tree. Its a great spot. Opinions?

The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Re: Where would you setup?

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:52 pm

Early season while the leaves are still on the tree?

Could you possibly hunt in a ground blind near the tree?
Casper
500 Club

Unread postby Casper » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:11 pm

Early season and rut. No ground options. I know what I want to do but looking to get opinions.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:22 am

I like to hunt high but.....If there ain't no cover to get in, I wouldn't do it. You'd stick out like a sore thumb. Depending on how close the deer are coming to that tree, you might look at getting low around those first limbs or even on the ground around the trunk.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:41 am

Southern Man wrote:I like to hunt high but.....If there ain't no cover to get in, I wouldn't do it. You'd stick out like a sore thumb. Depending on how close the deer are coming to that tree, you might look at getting low around those first limbs or even on the ground around the trunk.

I agree. I posted a couple spots. The higher you get the less cover you have and you'll be skylined. I like the lower spots better,the ones on the back trunk and use the front trunk for cover and wouldn't even go to the highest in red because your kill zone decreases with the height.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:52 am

From the picture, there seems to be no reason to set up high at all. It looks like you only have to get up high enough to shoot over the grass or cattails, and that's it. The higher you go the more likely you are to get busted climbing up. How close to the bed are you? I would only go as high as needed which in this case seems to be around 10 feet, maybe even less.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:08 am

I would get as high as possible early season but after the leaves are gone maybe 6 to 10 feet at the most.
Casper
500 Club

Unread postby Casper » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:15 am

Black Squirrel wrote:From the picture, there seems to be no reason to set up high at all. It looks like you only have to get up high enough to shoot over the grass or cattails, and that's it. The higher you go the more likely you are to get busted climbing up. How close to the bed are you? I would only go as high as needed which in this case seems to be around 10 feet, maybe even less.

There are two buck beds close by. One is 60 yards and the other is about 100 yards. With a couple doe bedding areas mixed in. There will be a field at my back (great access) with cattails infront of me, red brush, and also a honey suckle knob (where there is a big buck bed).

I like everyones input so far. Good discussion.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:28 am

I always like to go high if possible. Early season you may be fine, but after that it would be risky at almost any hight. Best bet then would be just high enough to get a shot.

However, if it was me I may consider buying some plastic limbs with brown leaves and attach them around you while in your stand so you can set up some nice cover around you. Go very heavy behind you so they won't notice the change when you are in the stand and also attach branches along the trunk between the ground and tree stand so that when the leaves are gone you won't have a big unnatural looking "nest" up in the tree. I would do this before leaf out if possible.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:35 am

JRM...... I like the drawing :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:38 am

Looks like a great tree for a Treesaddle otherwise with a Lone Wolf I would set up fairly low on the backside of the tree and use it for cover if possible.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:43 am

I would only go high enough to be able to shoot over the cat tails. That may be only 5 feet. just my .02
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:46 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:I always to go high if possible. Early season you may be fine, but after that it would be risky at almost any hight. Best bet then would be just high enough to get a shot.

However, if it was me I may consider buying some plastic limbs with brown leaves and attach them around you while in your stand so you can set up some nice cover around you. Go very heavy behind you so they won't notice the change when you are in the stand and also attach branches along the trunk between the ground and tree stand so that when the leaves are gone you won't have a big unnatural looking "nest" up in the tree. I would do this before leaf out if possible.

I've done that with cedar branches. Works pretty good too. There is a place here called Hobby Lobby that sells seasonal decorations of plastic leaves, vines etc. I've used those as well. I don't know if I'd do that on public land tho, someone would figure out what you're doing unless you're in a fairly remote spot. Good idea tho.
Casper
500 Club

Unread postby Casper » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:50 am

Also...private land
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:55 am

Take a half dozen hay bales out there and position them into a pseudo blind around the base of the tree where the grass is plenty long. Then dig out a small pit in your blind so you can get down lower yet still shoot. Do it soon and the grass will grow up nice around the hay. Maybe throw a piece of plywood on top and throw dead grass on top of that.

That bean pole would be TOUGH to bowhunt with a stand, even tougher if it got windy.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”