Logging Trail Along Swamp Edge

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
cbsdecker
Facebook: Connor Micheal Decker

Logging Trail Along Swamp Edge

Unread postby cbsdecker » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:09 am

Newbie scouting/stand placement question here:
This will be my third year hunting and I am still working on learning some of the fundamentals of scouting and tree stand placement. My family owns 30 acres of land which runs N/S along a cattail swamp. In my scouting, I have found an old tractor or logging trail about 150 yards long which is about 30 yards away from the swamp edge. The old trail has become a heavy deer travel corridor, along the trail is a collection of what I believe to be old rubs. At the end of the trail, there is a clearing that opens up to the swamp edge and a sapling with a scrape which was active last year according to my trail camera data.
Would you set up over the scrape or the cluster of rubs in the travel corridor?
Am I correct that these are even old rubs?
What time of year would you hunt this area? I am assuming rut/pre-rut as Bucks might run the old trail to scent check the swamp for Does. Hence the rubs.

Thanks In Advance!!!

The red line: Old Tractor Trail
Yellow: Old rubs
Blue: Scrape tree

Old Rubs

[imghttps://i.postimg.cc/ZqXzFVx5/IMG-4823.jpg][/img]

Scrape Tree at the end of the trail

Ghost Hunter

Re: Logging Trail Along Swamp Edge

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:29 pm

Logging trail run along edge of swamp where scrapes are located? Or does it lead up to edge of swamp? If it leads up to edge swamp. I would back off swamp a little so you could get a shot of them running edge of swamp. Do not know how deep swamp might be? Maybe some good sign going out in swamp that would be more promising?
I live to release an arrow and watch woods grow into chaos and then grow quite as a mouse in just seconds.
cbsdecker
Facebook: Connor Micheal Decker

Unread postby cbsdecker » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:40 pm

The scrape is located where the logging trail opens up into a small clearing in the swamp.
DanGMI

Unread postby DanGMI » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:50 am

I would say the scrape. I shot a buck this last season hunting scrapes along a logging trail bordering swamp. Especially good if known bedding is in the swamp and you sit down wind. They like those logging trails.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”