Saddle vs Stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Edcyclopedia

Re: Saddle vs Stand

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat May 29, 2021 1:34 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I guarantee you saddle hunting can be far cheaper and far less weight. You can't compare one extreme to another. I will put a fleece saddle, a rope tether and a small platform or a strap-on ring of steps up against anyone's stand as far as COST, comfort shootability and weight.

Saddle hunting can be as cheap, or expensive as you make it.

Fleece wedgie ;)

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Trail

Unread postby Trail » Sat May 29, 2021 1:50 am

I just ordered a Tethrd Phantom with their deal that's going on. Hopefully it will be a nice addition to my hunting set ups. I've been eyeing getting into saddle hunting for over a year now so I'm excited to see how it turns out.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nomadicbeastwi

Unread postby Tim H » Sat May 29, 2021 3:55 am

brkissl82 wrote:
Tim H wrote:I have both saddle and a stand. Last season I hunted 100% from the stand. I just never grabbed the saddle where I thought it was needed for what I was doing. But a lot of guys like them and they work best for how they hunt.

In regard to weight, I don't see a huge difference in saddle hunting versus stand. At least in my experience. When packing in my items for saddle and a stand setup, I really can't say that one felt heavier than the other. In my saddle setup I would have to bring a pack to carry everything anyway. The pack, platform, tether, saddle, something to hang my bow and gear did add up and felt equal to the stand.

I would somewhat agree on the weight thing. I did shave a few pounds going to a saddle.......but the fact that i can fit it in a backpack and go makes the load feel soooo much lighter. Just my 2 cents. My cousin tried my saddle and hated it.

It really depends on the pack and what you are taking with it. I use the Sitka Tool bucket which is a great pack. It's comfortable carrying but in my opinion the weight doesn't feel much lighter than my stand setup. Of course there are many different packs and options out there that a guy can be a minimalist and lose some weight with a saddle. Most guys I see don't do this. Most guys who are saddle hunters that I see look like they are going camping or backcountry.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Sat May 29, 2021 7:05 am

Iv been using a saddle the past couple of years and have really enjoyed it, there are some days I miss a tree stand though. There are pros and cons to both. Pros for the saddle are that it’s compact and easy to walk long distances and scout with. I think where the stand wins is with leaning trees though, With a stand you can hunt the side that works best for where you expect deer to come. With a saddle your kind of limited to the top or bottom of the lean, if you are on top of the lean you can’t maneuver around the tree very well. The one thing that keeps me using the saddle the most though is that in the past 3 years I haven’t been picked off in the tree one single time, whereas with a stand no matter how high I was if a deer got within 15-20yrds they always looked up at me
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Sat May 29, 2021 7:23 am

ODH wrote:
JMAR85 wrote:I want to update my setup this year and I’ve really been going back and forth between a saddle or a stand. I haven’t pulled the trigger on either because I change my mind every few weeks. I like the idea of the saddle but when you add in the platform am I really saving that much weight over Dan’s stand for example? Also, I’m just not sure I could be comfortable in a saddle. I’m a “sitter” and I have to be comfortable or I have a hard time sitting still. Has anybody else gone through this decision process?

For starters, ask yourself this - other than marketing hype what makes you think you need a platform?

No need to invest a ton of money in something you aren't sure you like. I assume you have an old stand currently? Or can borrow one? Buy a used saddle and try hunting out of it while using your old stand as a starter platform (don't use the seat). See whether you can get comfortable, facing the tree, with the stand on the side opposite of how you would hunt using a stand. Later add a rope step or two and get some movement going. You'll know pretty quick which is your future.

The first year I saddle hunted I stood on my top stick... after a few hunts I about quit using the saddle because my feet and legs hurt at the end of the hunt. I now use a platform and it is 100x better
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 29, 2021 7:54 am

Jeff25 wrote:
ODH wrote:
JMAR85 wrote:I want to update my setup this year and I’ve really been going back and forth between a saddle or a stand. I haven’t pulled the trigger on either because I change my mind every few weeks. I like the idea of the saddle but when you add in the platform am I really saving that much weight over Dan’s stand for example? Also, I’m just not sure I could be comfortable in a saddle. I’m a “sitter” and I have to be comfortable or I have a hard time sitting still. Has anybody else gone through this decision process?

For starters, ask yourself this - other than marketing hype what makes you think you need a platform?

No need to invest a ton of money in something you aren't sure you like. I assume you have an old stand currently? Or can borrow one? Buy a used saddle and try hunting out of it while using your old stand as a starter platform (don't use the seat). See whether you can get comfortable, facing the tree, with the stand on the side opposite of how you would hunt using a stand. Later add a rope step or two and get some movement going. You'll know pretty quick which is your future.

The first year I saddle hunted I stood on my top stick... after a few hunts I about quit using the saddle because my feet and legs hurt at the end of the hunt. I now use a platform and it is 100x better

That sealed the deal for me too. 15 years ago I tried the original Trophyline saddle with a ring of strap on steps. Never really like that method. A small lightweight platform is the ticket. I still set up with my top step in line with my platform just to give me that extra little bit of rotation surface if needed. A small platform is great for standing on up against the tree if you don’t want to hang all day. Easy enough to lean back again and position for a shot. I can also shoot just fine at my strong side while standing on the platform no different than a treestand.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Sat May 29, 2021 10:17 am

Dewey wrote:
Jeff25 wrote:
ODH wrote:

That sealed the deal for me too. 15 years ago I tried the original Trophyline saddle with a ring of strap on steps. Never really like that method. A small lightweight platform is the ticket. I still set up with my top step in line with my platform just to give me that extra little bit of rotation surface if needed. A small platform is great for standing on up against the tree if you don’t want to hang all day. Easy enough to lean back again and position for a shot. I can also shoot just fine at my strong side while standing on the platform no different than a treestand.

15 years ago the TL and ROS was my go-to also. Only difference is I found/find it still works for me. Having that extra step or two to be in position to shoot comfortably is key in my mind. It's rarely mentioned but tree diameter plays a huge part in whether and how many steps one might need. Also agree with your prior comments that dialing in your saddle to make it comfortable for you is equally important. Back to the original post - given that saddle hunting is so individual, and now has so many variations available, for someone just starting out it makes most sense to buy equipment one piece at a time and build the kit that fits you rather than rushing out to buy someone else's pre-canned notion.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sun May 30, 2021 12:10 pm

brancher147 wrote:I use a saddle with platform attached to the top stick so no need to hang a platform. If I need more room I use a screw in or strap on step on one or both sides of platform. I am a “sitter” and am perfectly comfortable more so than a stand. The saddle setup with sticks and aider(s) is lighter and I can much more easily hunt in more trees than a stand. Specifically I can hunt smaller trees and hide behind the tree which is the setup I usually need and can’t get from a stand. Also setup and takedown is much easier and faster for me with a saddle. Not that someone can’t do all that with a stand but I’ve tried it and a saddle is far superior for me personally.

This is also where I’m at . One season in ,so still tweaking my set up but it’s more comfortable for me .
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sun May 30, 2021 11:37 pm

I use both, but mainly hunt out of the saddle except for when it is really cold. My saddle system is way lighter than my lone wolf assault, and I use a small frame pack so that it keeps everything tight and easy to access.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”