Poll: Bait use during hunting season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

Do you use “Bait” at least once per season to either locate or kill a target Buck?

Yes
21%
No
79%

Total votes: 100
Elite
500 Club

Re: Poll: Bait use during hunting season

Unread postby Elite » Wed May 19, 2021 5:42 am

szwampdonkey wrote:Never would even think about baiting. To me it would completely take the fun out of it.

As many have eluded to already hunting a mature Buck, or any deer really, isn't about the kill its about the hunt, the cat and mouse game, the figuring em out and then watching it all come together. That process takes me to so many different places, types of terrain, different properties and different ways of hunting from packing a treestand in, maybe using a saddle, to just sitting on the ground even. To me that process is HUNTING whereas baiting to me is more focused on just the killing. The killing is the end of the journey to the point im sorta disappointed when the kill occurs as it means that process is over, at least for that year.

I'm not against a guy baiting if legal where they are but imo they are missing out if they choose go that route.

100% agree!

OspreyZB

Unread postby OspreyZB » Mon May 24, 2021 7:47 am

I use bait for inventory purposes, where legal. Works especially good late season, when food is more scarce. I'll go out with a few cameras and 10 or 15 lbs of corn, usually to a cut corn or bean field. Walk the field edges looking for big tracks, poop, trails and browse lines leading to and from the field, then set up a cam and dump a few pounds of corn in front of it. I'll set 3-6 of these up in an area and leave them overnight, then pull them the next morning. If I get pics of a shooter, I'll start hunting him. If not I'll re-set the trap line of cams in a new area. Works best if your already familiar with the bedding in the area. The corn is basically just to get the deer to stop in front of the camera for a few good pictures. I know this is something Dan has talked about doing in the past too.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Mon May 24, 2021 1:39 pm

OspreyZB wrote:I use bait for inventory purposes, where legal. Works especially good late season, when food is more scarce. I'll go out with a few cameras and 10 or 15 lbs of corn, usually to a cut corn or bean field. Walk the field edges looking for big tracks, poop, trails and browse lines leading to and from the field, then set up a cam and dump a few pounds of corn in front of it. I'll set 3-6 of these up in an area and leave them overnight, then pull them the next morning. If I get pics of a shooter, I'll start hunting him. If not I'll re-set the trap line of cams in a new area. Works best if your already familiar with the bedding in the area. The corn is basically just to get the deer to stop in front of the camera for a few good pictures. I know this is something Dan has talked about doing in the past too.

That’s pretty much what Bill Weinke does.
blackwidow

Unread postby blackwidow » Tue May 25, 2021 2:08 am

I've never baited, and don't intend to ever use it. Not my cup of tea at all. It's kind of surprising to see the amount of people say "more power to you if it's legal", like the legality of it changes anything about the process actually happening. I feel about baiting like I do pen raised deer, both can go away and it would be better for our deer herds. We talk about how much we love these animals, but do things like pour bait out to cheapen the experience and help the spread of disease.
OspreyZB

Unread postby OspreyZB » Tue May 25, 2021 3:06 am

I think there's also a misconception that killing mature bucks over bait is easy. Maybe it is easy if your hunting a private farm where the deer don't associate the bait with danger. Where I hunt (NJ public land) almost everyone baits. Very, very few of them actually kill mature bucks with any kind of regularity, and the guys that do, actually put a lot of thought into the setup, access, wind, weather etc. The bucks that have grown old in these areas have undoubtedly had bad, likely near death experiences with bait piles in the past and have learned to make a living by avoiding them during daylight hours. "Hunting" over bait isn't my cup of tea. It doesn't feel like hunting at all to me. But I'm just pointing out the fact that getting a mature buck to commit to a bait pile is not as easy as a lot of people think. If it was, everyone in baiting states like NJ or Michigan would have a wall that looks like Dan's.

I also feed the deer at my aunt's house all winter long, from December through March or April. In regards to it "spreading disease" apparently we don't have CWD here yet, but I do broadcast the corn over a large area, probably about 40 yards by 10 yards. I bet if you could ask the deer they'd take their chances with CWD to have an unlimited supply of corn all winter instead of their usual menu of twigs and tree bark... Just sayin.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue May 25, 2021 3:46 am

OspreyZB wrote:I think there's also a misconception that killing mature bucks over bait is easy. Maybe it is easy if your hunting a private farm where the deer don't associate the bait with danger. Where I hunt (NJ public land) almost everyone baits. Very, very few of them actually kill mature bucks with any kind of regularity, and the guys that do, actually put a lot of thought into the setup, access, wind, weather etc. The bucks that have grown old in these areas have undoubtedly had bad, likely near death experiences with bait piles in the past and have learned to make a living by avoiding them during daylight hours. "Hunting" over bait isn't my cup of tea. It doesn't feel like hunting at all to me. But I'm just pointing out the fact that getting a mature buck to commit to a bait pile is not as easy as a lot of people think. If it was, everyone in baiting states like NJ or Michigan would have a wall that looks like Dan's.

I also feed the deer at my aunt's house all winter long, from December through March or April. In regards to it "spreading disease" apparently we don't have CWD here yet, but I do broadcast the corn over a large area, probably about 40 yards by 10 yards. I bet if you could ask the deer they'd take their chances with CWD to have an unlimited supply of corn all winter instead of their usual menu of twigs and tree bark... Just sayin.

Corn is actually bad for them in the winter as their gut is designed to more readily digest their natural winter browse. Corn is really the last thing that should be put out for deer in the winter.
OspreyZB

Unread postby OspreyZB » Tue May 25, 2021 4:25 am

szwampdonkey wrote:
OspreyZB wrote:I think there's also a misconception that killing mature bucks over bait is easy. Maybe it is easy if your hunting a private farm where the deer don't associate the bait with danger. Where I hunt (NJ public land) almost everyone baits. Very, very few of them actually kill mature bucks with any kind of regularity, and the guys that do, actually put a lot of thought into the setup, access, wind, weather etc. The bucks that have grown old in these areas have undoubtedly had bad, likely near death experiences with bait piles in the past and have learned to make a living by avoiding them during daylight hours. "Hunting" over bait isn't my cup of tea. It doesn't feel like hunting at all to me. But I'm just pointing out the fact that getting a mature buck to commit to a bait pile is not as easy as a lot of people think. If it was, everyone in baiting states like NJ or Michigan would have a wall that looks like Dan's.

Corn is actually bad for them in the winter as their gut is designed to more readily digest their natural winter browse. Corn is really the last thing that should be put out for deer in the winter.

That may be true if the deer are only used to eating browse and you suddenly introduce a corn pile. Where I do this, there are corn fields everywhere that the deer would be feeding in that time of year anyway if I wasn't baiting. The difference is they'd be getting shot at in those cut corn fields, I just feed them. Those deer stay fat and healthy all winter unlike the deer (usually late born fawns) I find starved to death every spring with dry sticks and leaves hanging out of their mouths in nearby areas with only browse and high deer densities. The browse lines get too high for them to reach and they die a slow, miserable death.
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Tue May 25, 2021 5:57 am

OspreyZB wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:

That may be true if the deer are only used to eating browse and you suddenly introduce a corn pile. Where I do this, there are corn fields everywhere that the deer would be feeding in that time of year anyway if I wasn't baiting. The difference is they'd be getting shot at in those cut corn fields, I just feed them. Those deer stay fat and healthy all winter unlike the deer (usually late born fawns) I find starved to death every spring with dry sticks and leaves hanging out of their mouths in nearby areas with only browse and high deer densities. The browse lines get too high for them to reach and they die a slow, miserable death.

I also agree about the corn being a bad winter time supplement. If I’m not mistaking they say corn has no nutritional value to a deer and especially not enough to sustain a whole winters worth of fat rebuilding. I find it hard to believe that there would even be a herd of deer living where there is nothing to eat come winter time, unless of coarse they were finding just enough corn to keep them interested but still not enough to survive on (like someone’s back yard). Kinda like feeding the migratory birds past when they should have left already and then stop feeding them all the sudden and they can no long survive.
OspreyZB

Unread postby OspreyZB » Tue May 25, 2021 7:23 am

Djp32 wrote:
OspreyZB wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:

I also agree about the corn being a bad winter time supplement. If I’m not mistaking they say corn has no nutritional value to a deer and especially not enough to sustain a whole winters worth of fat rebuilding. I find it hard to believe that there would even be a herd of deer living where there is nothing to eat come winter time, unless of coarse they were finding just enough corn to keep them interested but still not enough to survive on (like someone’s back yard). Kinda like feeding the migratory birds past when they should have left already and then stop feeding them all the sudden and they can no long survive.

I'm no deer biologist, I just figured they could use the carbs that time of year. I also feed them some alfalfa pellets and apples from time to time. They seem to be doing great. They have plenty of browse to eat in that area too, and usually some red oak acorns. But they flock to the corn in the winter. I'm open to suggestions as to what I should be feeding them instead, or in addition to the corn. I just enjoy watching them feed in the evenings after work.

The areas where I find bad winter kills from starvation are in areas with deer densities way over carrying capacity as a result of development/encroachment on habitat. These deer may try to relocate when food gets scarce, but they will probably just end up in another area that's already been over-browsed, or wander into heavily roared areas in search of food, where they will likely get hit by a car.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:19 am

Most guys have no idea how to use corn to increase their odds of getting a buck or even does.

They go and pour a pile out, expect the deer to come to them. :lol:
Folks also equate poaching with baiting cause we all know that bucks will not go to bait during daylight hours...
A lot of ignorance about baiting properly for a kill.

I've only browsed this thread and seen poaching, super-easy, and bad for deer mentioned. If a guy can go get a mature buck over corn, he can most likely get one without corn.

Like a mobile stand, it is a tool, not a cure-all. Put it in the wrong spot and you'll get just as much as sitting home on the couch.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:26 am

Trail cams over corn for about 2 weeks to get inventory in August, that's about it.

Technically hunting over acorns, cut corn, beans, and alfalfa is "baiting" in the simplest sense, so there I go
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:30 am

Private... Yes
Public... No

Don’t care I’ll shoot a deer by any legal means available. Don’t care what others think or do as well.
I will say, IF I’m hunting over bait I’m most likely targeting does to thin herd numbers. Most mature bucks won’t hit feeders in daylight from my brief baiting experience thus far.
Trust the Process
Ol Split ( ) Toes

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:31 am

Rich M wrote:Most guys have no idea how to use corn to increase their odds of getting a buck or even does.

They go and pour a pile out, expect the deer to come to them. :lol:
Folks also equate poaching with baiting cause we all know that bucks will not go to bait during daylight hours...
A lot of ignorance about baiting properly for a kill.

I've only browsed this thread and seen poaching, super-easy, and bad for deer mentioned. If a guy can go get a mature buck over corn, he can most likely get one without corn.

Like a mobile stand, it is a tool, not a cure-all. Put it in the wrong spot and you'll get just as much as sitting home on the couch.

This is spot on a lot of ignorance is right.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:56 am

Well let me see…. I put out hundreds of pounds of salt every spring, I have strategically planted well over 20 fruit trees all with getting the upper hand in mind. Have also been known to dump a sack of corn while hunting doe deer. Main reason is cause I hunt doe for meat not sport. I want a high odds shot and time to choose which doe I want. I also don’t want to be stomping through woods I plan on hunting later while trying to recover the animal.

But for buck hunting I believe a hunter would be better served sticking to woodsmanship in any kind of pressured real world situation.

I know some are for baiting and some are against it. Personally I don’t care and it’s not something that gets under my skin. I mean which is more challenging…. Sitting over a corn pile with a bow or guarding a lush food plot with a sniper rifle? How bout sitting over the only water source for miles like they do in Africa? For me it’s pretty simple, if what u r doing is fun, legal, and gives u a sense that u accomplished something then ride it till the wheels fall off.
Eat the donut not the hole!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”