Spooking deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Fuzzy
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:21 am
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Spooking deer

Unread postby Fuzzy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:01 am

After recently watching Marsh Bucks and reading the post with Andrae's interview in it, I've notice that Andrae doesn't seem to worry much about spooking deer in season or out. He talks repeatedly about scouting land between sits or the day before he hunts the land. It has always been my intention to leave as little scent as possible and leaving an area undisturbed during the season. Am I just being overly cautious or is there something I am missing? Just looking for some imput to find out how much deer are affected by our presence in the woods when we are not in the stand.


DropTyne
500 Club
Posts: 924
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:26 pm
Location: Cheese
Status: Offline

Re: Spooking deer

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:39 pm

I would say you can't hunt a mature buck if you don't know where he is. Thus the mobile idea of hunting with a stand on your back if you find hot sign, set up. It's not really about spooking deer, it's how he does it that makes him different. I also think it's situational, in some cases to move or nudge a big buck could be to your advantage. Sometimes to have a buck know you are present in some way shape or form will alter his habits, but it is done on purpose to make his habits fit your hunt. In some cases through other methods of scouting (i.e. long distance with binos, trail cam pics) you may be able to pinpoint where you need to be without disturbing the area at all.

I think that the most powerful thing to take away from his agressive way of hunting is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. So cliche, but so true. Be flexible, try new things, experiment.......

If you sit the same stand, everyday, because you saw a big buck there once 3 years ago under the light of a spotlight, you are totally missing the boat. His method of hunting is what is going on "NOW" not what has happened yesterday, three weeks ago, or three years ago. Aggressive? Yes. More Successful? Yes. I would say a large portion of the people on this site hunt this way or somewhat this way.

I kind of look at it from this standpoint. You will spook some deer in the process, but atleast your chasing, atleast your making decisive calculated moves toward taking that buck. If you spook one, move onto another. That simple.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 39069
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Spooking deer

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:01 pm

Andrae can be quite aggressive when he needs to be. But I have also seen the passive side. He seems to sit back till everything is right and then move in for the kill... From his point of view, I think he needs the puzzle pieces and moves right in and finds them. Sometimes it works to his advantage, sometimes it tips the buck off.
Personally I would rather not be as aggressive as andrae in season. But hey, you can't argue with his success.
User avatar
PLB
500 Club
Posts: 6975
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:49 pm
Location: NE Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Spooking deer

Unread postby PLB » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:04 pm

DropTyne wrote:I would say you can't hunt a mature buck if you don't know where he is. Thus the mobile idea of hunting with a stand on your back if you find hot sign, set up. It's not really about spooking deer, it's how he does it that makes him different. I also think it's situational, in some cases to move or nudge a big buck could be to your advantage. Sometimes to have a buck know you are present in some way shape or form will alter his habits, but it is done on purpose to make his habits fit your hunt. In some cases through other methods of scouting (i.e. long distance with binos, trail cam pics) you may be able to pinpoint where you need to be without disturbing the area at all.

I think that the most powerful thing to take away from his agressive way of hunting is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. So cliche, but so true. Be flexible, try new things, experiment.......

If you sit the same stand, everyday, because you saw a big buck there once 3 years ago under the light of a spotlight, you are totally missing the boat. His method of hunting is what is going on "NOW" not what has happened yesterday, three weeks ago, or three years ago. Aggressive? Yes. More Successful? Yes. I would say a large portion of the people on this site hunt this way or somewhat this way.

I kind of look at it from this standpoint. You will spook some deer in the process, but atleast your chasing, atleast your making decisive calculated moves toward taking that buck. If you spook one, move onto another. That simple.

Well said Droptyne!! 8-)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
User avatar
PLB
500 Club
Posts: 6975
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:49 pm
Location: NE Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Spooking deer

Unread postby PLB » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:07 pm

dan wrote:Andrae can be quite aggressive when he needs to be. But I have also seen the passive side. He seems to sit back till everything is right and then move in for the kill... From his point of view, I think he needs the puzzle pieces and moves right in and finds them. Sometimes it works to his advantage, sometimes it tips the buck off.
Personally I would rather not be as aggressive as andrae in season. But hey, you can't argue with his success.

When you hunt the types of spots Andrae hunts, you can afford to push the envelope a little. Bump one buck and there will be another of that caliber or one will move in and take its place! Bump a buck on land that gets hunted by everyone, and you won't see him again that season.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Fuzzy
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:21 am
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Spooking deer

Unread postby Fuzzy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:44 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed how he seemed unconcerned about spooking deer and if anyone else hunted in this same fashion. Appreciate the input.
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 39069
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Spooking deer

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:49 am

Fuzzy wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed how he seemed unconcerned about spooking deer and if anyone else hunted in this same fashion. Appreciate the input.

When he started hunting a farm that I had hunted for many years I was kind of surprised by the way he would aggressivly walk really close to the bedding areas and kick deer around and then set up and get action.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests