Is saddle hunting phasing out?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Pudster
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Re: Is saddle hunting phasing out?

Unread postby Pudster » Thu May 13, 2021 9:29 am

I think the 1st wave of popularity is over for the saddle as of now I think mainly the "hard core" hunters have been using saddles. I feel a good number of them are probably switching back to regular stands. I dont have any statistics, I am just basing this off of a few people I know that have tried them and dont really ever use them any more. I do think the 2nd wave of popularity for the saddle is about to come, as I think now the everyday hunters are hearing more about saddles and will be buying them.

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu May 13, 2021 5:26 pm

Don’t know don’t care lol. I use stands and not fixing what isn’t broken. I don’t follow trends because others do I use what I like and from what I’ve seen of saddles they aren’t for me but have nothing against them….whatever you like use it.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Fri May 14, 2021 7:00 am

Saddle now for me after my first year . Although I’ll never get rid of my Assault stand, I have spots I will leave it for a few days to a week and just pull my sticks . I’m in public hill country . My Saddle setup including ropes is just A little Lighter and more compact when moving through thick . Easier on my bad shoulders hanging the platform . I will say I love a good ground setup too , when it’s the right choice . Going eye to eye with a big buck is pretty damn 8-) .
Hookslinger

Unread postby Hookslinger » Fri May 14, 2021 8:47 am

I jumped into mobile hunting last season with beast sticks, predator platform, and a saddle as my tools of choice. It does what I need it to and I have no complaints really. It takes some getting use to, but I feel confident and safe in it. I love being able to use the tree as a buffer. I do like the simplicity of it and lack of bulk. I might like a good hang on too, but there is no reason for me to purchase one at this point. Attaching my tether rope takes seconds as opposed to getting up there and having to mount a stand around the front of the tree, and that seems like a big plus to me. But if I had started years ago with mobile hang ons then I'm sure I'd be accustomed to it like many are here. I don't see saddles fading out anytime soon personally. As long as your system is efficient and effective your good to go, and seems like with all the good gear on the market its a great time to be a mobile hunter.
austin1990

Unread postby austin1990 » Sun May 16, 2021 6:34 am

This fall will be my 4th year saddle hunting, I finally sold my lone wolf hang ins in February after keeping them for the last 3 years unused. To me, nothing beats a saddle, I can hunt any tree I need to.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sun May 16, 2021 11:00 am

Upatreeinwv wrote:Is saddle hunting gaining or losing popularity?

Seems like it increased in popularity over the last 3-4 years. It is another tool in the hunting toolbox for getting in position to hunt and shoot deer. What works well for some doesn’t work as well for others. Find what works for you!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Jimmy wallhanger

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Mon May 17, 2021 4:51 am

Saddles are a great tool for alot of people. My issue is with aloy of saddle hunters claiming its a "game changer" when it's flat out not.

I saddle hunted for two seasons and liked the packability of my set up but I HATED the movement I made and the thought of a weak side shot was horrific.

Now that's just my experience.

I'm looking forward to getting my beast stand but my knees have pretty bad arthritis now and think that I may have to go back to my line wolf sit and climb as climbing with sticks puts pressure on my knees and I'm worried one may give out while climbing.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:34 pm

When is the beast stand verses saddle set up with Dave Tom’s video coming out? Or did I miss it, been working a lot of late.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 17, 2021 10:24 pm

mipubbucks24 wrote:When is the beast stand verses saddle set up with Dave Tom’s video coming out? Or did I miss it, been working a lot of late.

He canceled...
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue May 18, 2021 12:01 am

dan wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:When is the beast stand verses saddle set up with Dave Tom’s video coming out? Or did I miss it, been working a lot of late.

He canceled...

Bummer, is it being rescheduled or just done? If no one wants to step up and have a friendly challenge, says something I guess, and I run a saddle.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue May 18, 2021 1:22 am

There will always be saddle hunters, stand hunters, ground hunters. I think the hype is slowing down especially with the new light weight stands like Dan's. I also think alot more people are ground hunting then before because of watch the THP and seeing how successful they are. I know I have hunted on the ground last year due to an injury and I actually liked it alot, had some close encounters.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 18, 2021 9:46 am

Anybody looking for saddle gear Tethrd is having a huge sale right now. :o

https://tethrdnation.com/shop/
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Tue May 18, 2021 10:07 am

Dewey wrote:Anybody looking for saddle gear Tethrd is having a huge sale right now. :o

https://tethrdnation.com/shop/

Thanks Dewey. Can't hardly find a used old saddle for the price of the mantis now.ordered one up!
Jimmy wallhanger

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Tue May 18, 2021 11:00 am

dan wrote:

He canceled...

That sucks I was looking forward to it.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue May 18, 2021 11:31 am

greenhorndave wrote:Agree with Tim.

Trends always peak at one time or another. There will always be a miracle doohickey but none of it is necessary, just do what works for you.

Yup the industry is always throwing things out there. Never seizes to amaze. There definitely is no "end all cure all" or golden ticket in hunting, I wouldnt want one anyway.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”