Dealing with Wind Hunting Bottoms in Hill Country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Brian1986

Dealing with Wind Hunting Bottoms in Hill Country

Unread postby Brian1986 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:52 am

Hey guys from your experience what would you all consider to be a wide enough bottom in hill country to get a consistent enough wind to hunt it? I'm picturing an area with several secondary finger ridges coming together into a bottom. What would that bottom width need to be in gentle rolling hills of say 100' of elevation compared to say hills with 400' of elevation? What other characteristics of the bottom terrain would your look for? For instance would a fairly straight bottom be favored over one with curves? Would a bottom that one side opens up to say a wide open field be favored over one deeper within the ridge system. Would tree/brush density factor in? Would the wind have to be going the same direction as the bottom or would certain conditions allow you to hunt wind blowing at an angle or perpendicular to the bottom? Is there a certain wind velocity you prefer? I'm interested to see how you guys would attack bottoms.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Dealing with Wind Hunting Bottoms in Hill Country

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:48 pm

the only time I have really had consistant success in a bottom is when the wind and thermals are going in the same direction. like in the evening dropping thermal and wind blowing straight down the draw
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:02 am

dan wrote:the only time I have really had consistant success in a bottom is when the wind and thermals are going in the same direction. like in the evening dropping thermal and wind blowing straight down the draw

This is a great statement. I would say I absolutely have the best hunts w both working the same direction

I tend to be a little too aggressive somtimes and iv hunted the bottoms alot the past few seasons. Its definitely a fine line game. I scout and check the wind when the wind blows and when it stops. Generally there will be a current going w the creek/bottoms either direction. The tighter the quarters w the ridges, the tougher the game.

Heres my notes from one of my favorite spots;

SE WIND = N to S BOTTOM PULL
NE WIND = S to N BOTTOM PULL

So if the thermal/wind current pulls from N to S on a SE wind - a NE wind gives me the opposite.
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:11 pm

What they said.

However, I recently found something that works for me. No matter the wind direction and so long as it dies down at the end of the day, you can hunt bottoms. You just need to wait for the thermal drop. It makes for short hunts when the wind is blowing toward where you see the deer coming from but once the wind dies and thermals drop, you can slip in for a quick hunt.

I've had less success trying this tactic in the early morning. I've been trying to set up near the top end of hollows so the thermal drop pulls my scent down the hollow. Trying to catch deer working the top edge of hollows. The results have been mixed. I'm seeing doe on way to bed without being busted but no mature bucks. I also have the problem of getting out of there without busting deer. I can get a couple hours of hunting in the morning before I have to bail. The wind and rising thermals get goofy blowing my scent all over the place.
Shoot Straight

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”