Buck rut travel

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
sagDE

Buck rut travel

Unread postby sagDE » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:11 pm

I have been scouting an area a lot recently, and I want to say thank you to everyone who has been so helpful answering my many questions. I am new to beast tactics and am trying to learn. This afternoon I think that I had my first breakthrough in understanding how bucks are using this property but am hoping that someone with more experience of rut movement could verify. So, I have found numerous doe bedding areas in the woods with trails that connect the doe bedding to crop fields and pasture type areas and to other doe bedding areas within the public tract. I have not found any buck sign at all with the exception being that I found a very large (tall) rub from last season and numerous historical rubs all at the intersection of multiple doe trails. There is one trail that is heavily used that cuts across the property from private to public that also cuts across many doe trails as it crosses the tract. The rub is on that trail. Last November, during rut, I wounded the best buck that I have seen in the woods on that same trail... didn't realize that until tonight. I hit him right in the shoulder, the arrow broke off right behind the collar. Nerves and "buck fever!" Anyway, I found a real nice bed on top of a large mound of dirt adjacent to a large doe bedding area the other day. There is a single bed on the mound of dirt which leads me to believe that it is a buck bed, even though there is no other sign. The trail with the rub leads to this bedding area as well. It's the largest bedding area I have found on the property. Is it possible that a cruising buck would bed there to observe the does in that area and not leave any sign? Or would a doe bed solo like that? The lack of buck sign leads me to believe that this area is used mostly during rut but I'm not sure. In one of the crop fields not too far from these bedding areas there is an island of trees and swamp that encompasses maybe 2 acres of land that has literally hundreds of rubs in it. So bucks area around during the rut, just not sure why there isn't more sign in the woods.

I know that this is a long post and I appreciate any insight that can be provided.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Buck rut travel

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:48 pm

Well prob not what u wanna hear but I will toss out my honest 2cents worth in regards to rut travel. Imo doe bedding simply does not exist during the rut. Watch the doe groups and they break up into singles once chasing begins. They are cut like cattle. In fact I believe they purposely look for hiding spots they don’t believe a buck will go in daylight. They don’t like being harassed.

Now these spots they go to are predictable by time in the woods. In fact normally the same places year after year. But for catching a buck in daylight there my experience is u got the first 30 minutes of daylight. After that I want something that majorly restricts travel. If I’m hunting North/south movement I want something that really knifes in East/west
Eat the donut not the hole!
sagDE

Unread postby sagDE » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:00 pm

Hmm, That actually is ok with me! The buck that I wounded was running between the bedding areas when I shot him. I am really just trying to figure out the purpose of the rubs, both old and new at the junction of trails in the woods but nowhere else. Why would a buck that doesn't live there rub there?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:13 pm

Bucks rub for all kinds of reasons. I suggest placing some cams on rubs. I feel confident saying 90% of em won’t ever be visited again in daylight. Im not against rubs some pay off. I learned to follow rubs and it usually relates to terrain. These days I simply just hunt the terrain during the rut, I’m one of those idiots who believes when a buck moves during the rut he uses terrain to do so. Call me crazy but I also believe all bucks move during the rut. So in my simple mind it’s just being there when he does.
Eat the donut not the hole!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”