EARLY SEASON BEDDING???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Jrdeerhuntr

EARLY SEASON BEDDING???

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:31 am

Over the last week I have scouted a piece that has a couple different peninsulas that stick out in the same marsh. On each peninsula I found what appeared to be a buck bed halfway down to the tip on the edge where the aspens and marsh meet. In each case there is a couple foot drop into marsh. Both bedding areas only had 1-2 beds and a multiple rubbed trees next to the bed. In both cases the deer could see typical hunter access. I also found bedding areas within couple hundred yards that also had rubs in them, but there many more beds. I drew a crude map where the big lone bed is in the top middle and north is up.

My thoughts on these finds is the beds maybe used early in the season and then once pressure sets in the bucks move into the marsh bedding further out on peninsula? I think it is interesting finding the same kind of bed on two different peninsulas half mile apart. When I found the first one I did not think much of it, but finding the second one makes me more curious.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: EARLY SEASON BEDDING???

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:13 pm

Many times and many posts... search "peninsula" and "point" and that should get you some good reading. A lot depends on hunting pressure and there may be buck beds just off of that peninsula as well.

Bridge
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:30 pm

It is completely dependent on the scenario, but I typically find the best bedding just off the peninsulas. That’s IF that bedding exists. Singing Bridge is right, it will depend on pressure. Deer are lazy if we let them be. They’re also paranoid ;)

Were the rub sizes the same in both bedding areas? Any indication that the popple bedding could be satellite bedding? If the popple bedding doesn’t have any big buck sign but the remote stuff does, that might be a good indicator.

Your instincts are in the right place though. The popple bedding could be early season and they move back as pressure dictates. With bedding only being a couple hundred yards apart it will be hard to know which bedding they’re in (depending on how the land/sign lays out) by going off hot sign alone. It might take you a couple seasons to figure it out.

Is observing an option?
Jrdeerhuntr

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:59 am

Lockdown wrote:It is completely dependent on the scenario, but I typically find the best bedding just off the peninsulas. That’s IF that bedding exists. Singing Bridge is right, it will depend on pressure. Deer are lazy if we let them be. They’re also paranoid ;)

Were the rub sizes the same in both bedding areas? Any indication that the popple bedding could be satellite bedding? If the popple bedding doesn’t have any big buck sign but the remote stuff does, that might be a good indicator.

Your instincts are in the right place though. The popple bedding could be early season and they move back as pressure dictates. With bedding only being a couple hundred yards apart it will be hard to know which bedding they’re in (depending on how the land/sign lays out) by going off hot sign alone. It might take you a couple seasons to figure it out.

Is observing an option?

Actually the popple bedding had bigger rubs, only because the tress are bigger I would think. After reading a few of your scouting posts, I think the popple bedding could be night bedding as well as it is close to the oaks. The tag Alder bigger bedding area on the south east side sets up to be more consistent bedding. I should be able to observe both bedding areas if I am careful enough about my entrance and exit. The nice part it is something close to home where I should be able to run after work during the week.

Last year I hunted chunk just south of this one and the bucks seem to disappear after the season started. I noticed this area didn't get as much pressure so I hoping this is where they went to hideout.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”