How many miles have you walked this spring?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Re: How many miles have you walked this spring?

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:23 am

I have a list of 12 different areas I wanted to scout this year, so far I've done 9 of them. I have been doing the tracking with onx but don't know how many miles I have total. It's been about 5 to 15 miles a weekend the past few weeks, I would take a guess at somewhere around 40 miles so far. After I hit the other few spots I want to focus on I'll start up on some shed hunting and then really start racking up the miles.
So far I've located five places where I believe the caliber of buck I'm looking for exists. Found some good looking new stuff and learned a lot about some spots I had previously hunted.

Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:57 pm

I'm at around 20ish. We had lots of snow in February, so I wasn't able to get out a whole lot. Been making up for lost time in March though.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nomadicbeastwi

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:39 am

My answer is never enough. No matter how many miles I walk, it's never enough. But as Dewey mentioned, it's not the distance but what is learned and found. Quality before Quantity.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:42 am

Not many. I have been out 2 days scouting this winter. I’m off for the next 3 so I will put some miles in this weekend. The last 5 or so years I bet I walked close to 100 miles a winter. The pandemic has changed my job they have a hiring freeze and many people have quit or retired so no longer able to get out like I used to working to many hours. I like the chaos
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:54 am

I put on 5.5 or so today, and wouldn’t you know. I cross a semi frozen swamp to an island I have been eyeballing for years only to swamp both boots in the last 10 feet :lol: Oh well, it was worth it. Loaded with white oaks and deer sign
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:12 am

RiverBottoms wrote:I put on 5.5 or so today, and wouldn’t you know. I cross a semi frozen swamp to an island I have been eyeballing for years only to swamp both boots in the last 10 feet :lol: Oh well, it was worth it. Loaded with white oaks and deer sign

Those last few feet before dry ground are ALWAYS the most treacherous. ;)
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:17 am

Dewey wrote:
RiverBottoms wrote:I put on 5.5 or so today, and wouldn’t you know. I cross a semi frozen swamp to an island I have been eyeballing for years only to swamp both boots in the last 10 feet :lol: Oh well, it was worth it. Loaded with white oaks and deer sign

Those last few feet before dry ground are ALWAYS the most treacherous. ;)

:lol: truth!!
Forkhorn

Unread postby Forkhorn » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:39 am

I’ve got 77 miles on shed hunting this year, only a couple miles scouting. Probably should be the other way around but I just can’t contain myself. I love sheds!!!!
Chad Gus 715

Unread postby Chad Gus 715 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:06 pm

At least 50, I've only tracked 3 of my trips and they totaled 18 miles. I have made 10 or so trips so far, i will get in 5 or 6 more trips before turkey season starts. If you count my turkey hunting miles i will be 200.
equal opportunity hunter
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:15 pm

I’m not positive as I don’t track miles. I would have to say somewhere around 30. I have found some really good sign though. This time of year gets to be really tough running a business in construction. Everything is getting crazy busy once again.
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:56 am

Unfortunately, probably only 10 miles or so this year. We have a brand new baby at home and the time has been limited. The woods is already starting to get green down here with the mild temps this March. I'm taking some left over vacation days to scout next week and then I'll move onto fishing season.
knapptime

Unread postby knapptime » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:50 am

Managed to get about 8-9 miles in last Saturday checking out a new spot. The access road was completely iced over still, so I had to park at the bottom of the hill and add about 3 miles to the hike as a result. I'll probably try to get out at least once more in April once things have thawed a bit, but I plan on catching up on scouting during turkey season.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:48 pm

I don't keep track of the miles, but I do have a list of areas I want to look check out.
Bowtech Revolt X bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:24 am

Big fat zero! But dropped about 40 trees at home and opening up some new bedding areas and creating a mess of thick cover. Got 3 foodplots roughed in as well and going to dig a small water hole as well. Been beast scouting for ten years now, figured it was time to upgrade my land a little. It also just so happens I got 3 shooters kind of in the area that survived rifle season, although 1 is a long shot the other two should be hanging around a little.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:30 am

Alot :lol:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”