First out-of-state hunt. Where?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 9955
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

First out-of-state hunt. Where?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:46 pm

Contemplating going out of state to hunt whitetails.

Live in WI.

Where would you go and why? Keep in mind no preference points are in my quiver...


——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
User avatar
seazofcheeze
500 Club
Posts: 3405
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Status: Offline

Re: First out-of-state hunt. Where?

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:12 pm

greenhorndave wrote:Contemplating going out of state to hunt whitetails.

Live in WI.

Where would you go and why? Keep in mind no preference points are in my quiver...


Whats important to you? Numbers? Big buck potential? Tons of public? Farmland, Hills, Wildwest? If you can answer some of those questions, I could give my 2 cents.

Without answering any of those, if you aren't scared of hills, I'd look at Kentucky based on your location.
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 9955
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: First out-of-state hunt. Where?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:37 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:Contemplating going out of state to hunt whitetails.

Live in WI.

Where would you go and why? Keep in mind no preference points are in my quiver...


Whats important to you? Numbers? Big buck potential? Tons of public? Farmland, Hills, Wildwest? If you can answer some of those questions, I could give my 2 cents.

Without answering any of those, if you aren't scared of hills, I'd look at Kentucky based on your location.

Good questions. Low-ish pressure, Numbers and good bucks, don’t necessarily have to be absolute giants. Public ground, doesn’t matter in terms of terrain. Not afraid of hills, although my hill experience is next to none.

I can get most of that in WI, but no surprise that the high-density buck areas I go have limited public that gets drilled by pressure.
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
User avatar
seazofcheeze
500 Club
Posts: 3405
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Status: Offline

Re: First out-of-state hunt. Where?

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:04 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:Contemplating going out of state to hunt whitetails.

Live in WI.

Where would you go and why? Keep in mind no preference points are in my quiver...


Whats important to you? Numbers? Big buck potential? Tons of public? Farmland, Hills, Wildwest? If you can answer some of those questions, I could give my 2 cents.

Without answering any of those, if you aren't scared of hills, I'd look at Kentucky based on your location.

Good questions. Low-ish pressure, Numbers and good bucks, don’t necessarily have to be absolute giants. Public ground, doesn’t matter in terms of terrain. Not afraid of hills, although my hill experience is next to none.

I can get most of that in WI, but no surprise that the high-density buck areas I go have limited public that gets drilled by pressure.


Sounds like you are looking for an outfitter! :lol: In all seriousness, you'll probably get two of those three in certain states, but I doubt you'll get all three. I'd research some herd data, public land acreage, and trophy stats. Factor in your budget and how willing you are to drive, and I think you'll end up with the right answer for you.
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 9955
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: First out-of-state hunt. Where?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:14 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:Contemplating going out of state to hunt whitetails.

Live in WI.

Where would you go and why? Keep in mind no preference points are in my quiver...


Whats important to you? Numbers? Big buck potential? Tons of public? Farmland, Hills, Wildwest? If you can answer some of those questions, I could give my 2 cents.

Without answering any of those, if you aren't scared of hills, I'd look at Kentucky based on your location.

Good questions. Low-ish pressure, Numbers and good bucks, don’t necessarily have to be absolute giants. Public ground, doesn’t matter in terms of terrain. Not afraid of hills, although my hill experience is next to none.

I can get most of that in WI, but no surprise that the high-density buck areas I go have limited public that gets drilled by pressure.


Sounds like you are looking for an outfitter! :lol: In all seriousness, you'll probably get two of those three in certain states, but I doubt you'll get all three. I'd research some herd data, public land acreage, and trophy stats. Factor in your budget and how willing you are to drive, and I think you'll end up with the right answer for you.

lol... good to know. Any meet some of those criteria in your travels?
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
User avatar
BRoth82
500 Club
Posts: 732
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:00 am
Location: Southern MN
Status: Offline

Re: First out-of-state hunt. Where?

Unread postby BRoth82 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:49 am

Are you bow hunting or gun hunting? I've been gun hunting Nebraska for the last 3 years, they have a limited number or tags and it's all first come first serve.
User avatar
Edcyclopedia
Posts: 11988
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:54 pm
Location: S. NH
Status: Offline

Re: First out-of-state hunt. Where?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:54 am

Dakotas
KY
Indiana
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 9955
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: First out-of-state hunt. Where?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:45 am

BRoth82 wrote:Are you bow hunting or gun hunting? I've been gun hunting Nebraska for the last 3 years, they have a limited number or tags and it's all first come first serve.

Bow.
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 9955
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: First out-of-state hunt. Where?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:45 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Dakotas
KY
Indiana

:handgestures-thumbup:
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
Scott S
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:51 am
Location: Central New Hampshire
Status: Offline

Re: First out-of-state hunt. Where?

Unread postby Scott S » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:12 am

I could be wrong on this, as I have no personal experience, but I thought Nebraska did OTC non-resident bow tags. Also, I think their bow season starts Sept 1.
Biktarvy for prep
User avatar
BRoth82
500 Club
Posts: 732
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:00 am
Location: Southern MN
Status: Offline

Re: First out-of-state hunt. Where?

Unread postby BRoth82 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:16 am

Scott S wrote:I could be wrong on this, as I have no personal experience, but I thought Nebraska did OTC non-resident bow tags. Also, I think their bow season starts Sept 1.

Nebraska is OTC for all their tags, they go on sale I think the end of July. Then it's a first to buy them gets them, no lottery or points, just fastest on the keys.

Also Bow is unlimited and you can hunt the entire state, that goes for Muzzleloader as well.

GreenhornDave You can PM me if you have more questions.
User avatar
thwack16
500 Club
Posts: 1843
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:07 pm
Location: MS
Status: Offline

Re: First out-of-state hunt. Where?

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:31 am

Going off this; Low-ish pressure, Numbers and good bucks, I think I'd look NE, SD, or ND. IN & KY probably meet those parameters as well.

I make no qualms about it, I go out of state looking for a P&Y. The best chance to do that in my opinion is a state that limits hunter numbers and backs gun seasons to after the rut and severely reduces the length of them. It's pretty much KS & IA in my opinion, and of course you can't hunt those every year.
User avatar
seazofcheeze
500 Club
Posts: 3405
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Status: Offline

Re: First out-of-state hunt. Where?

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:07 am

greenhorndave wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:Contemplating going out of state to hunt whitetails.

Live in WI.

Where would you go and why? Keep in mind no preference points are in my quiver...


Whats important to you? Numbers? Big buck potential? Tons of public? Farmland, Hills, Wildwest? If you can answer some of those questions, I could give my 2 cents.

Without answering any of those, if you aren't scared of hills, I'd look at Kentucky based on your location.

Good questions. Low-ish pressure, Numbers and good bucks, don’t necessarily have to be absolute giants. Public ground, doesn’t matter in terms of terrain. Not afraid of hills, although my hill experience is next to none.

I can get most of that in WI, but no surprise that the high-density buck areas I go have limited public that gets drilled by pressure.


Sounds like you are looking for an outfitter! :lol: In all seriousness, you'll probably get two of those three in certain states, but I doubt you'll get all three. I'd research some herd data, public land acreage, and trophy stats. Factor in your budget and how willing you are to drive, and I think you'll end up with the right answer for you.

lol... good to know. Any meet some of those criteria in your travels?


Statistically, you already live in the best state for killing a trophy whitetail, so anything out of state is probably going to be some sort of downgrade. My experience hunting other states vs. Michigan is almost always lower numbers. Michigan has good deer numbers, just terrible age structure. If you want to see a lot of deer, Michigan is actually a pretty good option, OTC and tags are relatively cheap, just don't expect to see much over 100". Apart from that, I'll stick by my original suggestion of KY.
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 9955
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: First out-of-state hunt. Where?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:21 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:Contemplating going out of state to hunt whitetails.

Live in WI.

Where would you go and why? Keep in mind no preference points are in my quiver...


Whats important to you? Numbers? Big buck potential? Tons of public? Farmland, Hills, Wildwest? If you can answer some of those questions, I could give my 2 cents.

Without answering any of those, if you aren't scared of hills, I'd look at Kentucky based on your location.

Good questions. Low-ish pressure, Numbers and good bucks, don’t necessarily have to be absolute giants. Public ground, doesn’t matter in terms of terrain. Not afraid of hills, although my hill experience is next to none.

I can get most of that in WI, but no surprise that the high-density buck areas I go have limited public that gets drilled by pressure.


Sounds like you are looking for an outfitter! :lol: In all seriousness, you'll probably get two of those three in certain states, but I doubt you'll get all three. I'd research some herd data, public land acreage, and trophy stats. Factor in your budget and how willing you are to drive, and I think you'll end up with the right answer for you.

lol... good to know. Any meet some of those criteria in your travels?


Statistically, you already live in the best state for killing a trophy whitetail, so anything out of state is probably going to be some sort of downgrade. My experience hunting other states vs. Michigan is almost always lower numbers. Michigan has good deer numbers, just terrible age structure. If you want to see a lot of deer, Michigan is actually a pretty good option, OTC and tags are relatively cheap, just don't expect to see much over 100". Apart from that, I'll stick by my original suggestion of KY.

Appreciate it!

There are many different areas in WI that I have not yet hunted but want to, so staying in state would effectively be remote hunts but in my home state. It’s big enough and diverse enough to treat it that way. I’m leaning that way, but just want to consider other options too. Who knows if I’d tag out early? ;)
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
User avatar
Thesouthpaw
500 Club
Posts: 668
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:44 pm
Status: Offline

Re: First out-of-state hunt. Where?

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:32 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Dakotas
KY
Indiana

I second this.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahawk116, brewster_239, ckprax, jakebern, wrusch and 14 guests