Coyote attack?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:52 pm
Facebook: NONE
Location: Sheboygan County
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Coyote attack?

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:39 am

Really good point Dan. I typically carry a pistol when I am in northern WI where I know there are wolf and bear density. Just for that once in a lifetime scenario.

I never carry a pistol into public I guess just because I only have small towns around me and have never felt threatened in my lifetime. Of course that’s not to say that something couldn’t happen to me in public just as easily as it could in the woods. I guess I trust human instinct over predator instinct but with that being said a human can be a predator just as easily. Just have not experienced it first hand. Then again I haven’t been threatened in the woods first hand. Not something I’ve had to think about too deeply.
VilasCo
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:11 am
Status: Offline

Re: Coyote attack?

Unread postby VilasCo » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:56 am

What a neat encounter. I think that dog would have taken a swipe at him given the chance. It is common to see wildlife footage of predators circle and size up potential prey as if they are calculating risk vs reward. Dan, how does this interaction compare to the one with your fox friend you met baiting bears? I like Jared's reflection of the incident and that he was glad to have had the time with the coyote instead of killing it. As to the carry question, I have my carry permit but I don't carry in public and don't carry in the woods, I don't even own a pistol. I always talk myself out of making the investment.
User avatar
buttonbuck
500 Club
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:41 pm
Location: SC
Status: Offline

Re: Coyote attack?

Unread postby buttonbuck » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:18 pm

Gotta stay strapped man. 24/7
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 39135
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Coyote attack?

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:32 pm

VilasCo wrote:What a neat encounter. I think that dog would have taken a swipe at him given the chance. It is common to see wildlife footage of predators circle and size up potential prey as if they are calculating risk vs reward. Dan, how does this interaction compare to the one with your fox friend you met baiting bears? I like Jared's reflection of the incident and that he was glad to have had the time with the coyote instead of killing it. As to the carry question, I have my carry permit but I don't carry in public and don't carry in the woods, I don't even own a pistol. I always talk myself out of making the investment.

The fox was shy and had to be coxed to dome get the food. In Jarretts case, that coyote seemed to me, to be making little charges to get reaction, to see if the prey would run,.
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 33306
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Coyote attack?

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:42 pm

The answer is it couldn’t smell him and it was a thick area. I somehow got caught in the middle of a pack of yotes once in the dark in a calm wind. I think they had no clue what I was visually since it was so thick and they couldn’t smell me. Once they figured out I was human they hightailed it out of there pretty quickly. Kinda the same experience as on the video with a few bluff charges. Got pretty tense when they surrounded me trying to figure out what I was.

Had the same thing happen with wolves after dark when walking out from a late season bowhunt in the northwoods. Same deal except they might have really wanted to eat me but stayed calm and told myself they were just curious. :lol:
Ryan549
500 Club
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 10:12 am
Location: NY
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Coyote attack?

Unread postby Ryan549 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:57 pm

That was a pretty cool encounter and I’m glad it worked out the way that it did.
Ryan
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:52 pm
Facebook: NONE
Location: Sheboygan County
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Coyote attack?

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:20 pm

Dewey wrote:The answer is it couldn’t smell him and it was a thick area. I somehow got caught in the middle of a pack of yotes once in the dark in a calm wind. I think they had no clue what I was visually since it was so thick and they couldn’t smell me. Once they figured out I was human they hightailed it out of there pretty quickly. Kinda the same experience as on the video with a few bluff charges. Got pretty tense when they surrounded me trying to figure out what I was.

Had the same thing happen with wolves after dark when walking out from a late season bowhunt in the northwoods. Same deal except they might have really wanted to eat me but stayed calm and told myself they were just curious. :lol:


That is the one thing that hasn’t stopped me from hitting the northern woods, but is always in the back of my mind. This is why I always carry when I’m in the area. Thank goodness you didn’t have a dog with you bear hunting at the time. Scary stuff.
User avatar
Putt400
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:56 pm
Location: North Dakota
Status: Offline

Re: Coyote attack?

Unread postby Putt400 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:25 pm

Dewey wrote:The answer is it couldn’t smell him and it was a thick area. I somehow got caught in the middle of a pack of yotes once in the dark in a calm wind. I think they had no clue what I was visually since it was so thick and they couldn’t smell me. Once they figured out I was human they hightailed it out of there pretty quickly. Kinda the same experience as on the video with a few bluff charges. Got pretty tense when they surrounded me trying to figure out what I was.

Had the same thing happen with wolves after dark when walking out from a late season bowhunt in the northwoods. Same deal except they might have really wanted to eat me but stayed calm and told myself they were just curious. :lol:

This would have had the hair stick up on the back of my neck. Being raised in northern Minnesota always had me checking my back trail when hearing the howl of wolves near me when bow hunting. I never did carry any backup during those times.
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
Ryan549
500 Club
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 10:12 am
Location: NY
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Coyote attack?

Unread postby Ryan549 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:31 pm

Excuse my ignorance on the topic of wolves, but how common are they to see while hunting in Wisconsin and places that they inhabit?
Ryan
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 33306
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Coyote attack?

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:33 pm

Ryan549 wrote:Excuse my ignorance on the topic of wolves, but how common are they to see while hunting in Wisconsin and places that they inhabit?

Rare to see them but you will hear them howling at night often.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:52 pm
Facebook: NONE
Location: Sheboygan County
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Coyote attack?

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:38 pm

Ryan549 wrote:Excuse my ignorance on the topic of wolves, but how common are they to see while hunting in Wisconsin and places that they inhabit?


I can imagine they see you more often than you even notice they are present. That’s the scary part.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:10 am
Status: Offline

Re: Coyote attack?

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:42 pm

Ryan549 wrote:Excuse my ignorance on the topic of wolves, but how common are they to see while hunting in Wisconsin and places that they inhabit?

You don't see them very often
Ol Split ( ) Toes
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:10 am
Status: Offline

Re: Coyote attack?

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:44 pm

To me it almost looked like someone raised it from a pup and let it go when it got to big. Almost like someone's lost pet dog in the woods that follows you home or to your truck.
User avatar
thwack16
500 Club
Posts: 1838
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:07 pm
Location: MS
Status: Offline

Re: Coyote attack?

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:46 pm

Very interesting video. I think it’s basically what Dewey said. Yote couldn’t figure him out and was trying to get a whiff.

I actually don’t even own a pistol. If I did, I’d carry on the streets way more than I ever did in the woods. The only time I remotely get sketched out hunting is around cottonmouths. The only other scenario is approaching the truck in a public parking area at night in rural settings near highways.

I had an interesting encounter with a yote back in the early season. Ran into check a cam and crested a small hill to see this yote pruning himself. He was setup to watch the gravel road, and ag field, and even my grandads house. Had to holler at him to get him to move on.

B07F3EBD-7C0A-4A47-9D60-F850047281BD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests