Montana license fee increase............does it ever end!!!

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 33386
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Online

Montana license fee increase............does it ever end!!!

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:24 am

Montana Nonresident Big Game And Deer Combination License Prices Increase
Posted by admin on February 26th, 2011
Nonresidents will pay more for Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks’ nonresident big game and deer combination licenses in 2011.

Last November, when voters approved an initiative that moved 7,800 outfitter-sponsored big game and deer combination licenses to the general nonresident license category, they also increased the associated license fees.
The fee increases include:

•a nonresident big game combination license fee of $912, up from $643;
•a nonresident deer combination license fee of $542, up from $343; and
•a nonresident elk combination license fee of $812, up from $593.
Nonresident hunters who wish to apply for these licenses will find application deadlines, printable application forms and other information on the FWP website at fwp.mt.gov on the Hunting page under licenses.

The revenue generated by the increased license fees is earmarked for wildlife habitat conservation and public hunting access programs. The fee increases only apply to nonresident combination licenses. Other nonresident licenses are not affected.


User avatar
Dor
500 Club
Posts: 2187
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:15 am
Facebook: Chris Dornack
Location: SE MN
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Montana license fee increase............does it ever end

Unread postby Dor » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:52 am

The good news is that you should draw a lot lot easier. Does suck about the cost increase though :twisted: .
Image

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Bucky
Posts: 5576
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:35 am
Status: Offline

Re: Montana license fee increase............does it ever end

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:12 am

Ouchie :!: A buddy of mine is going this year, we'll see how it goes for him 1st at a tag cost of 6-9 bills
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
huntinnurse
500 Club
Posts: 1570
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:37 pm
Location: God's Country
Status: Offline

Re: Montana license fee increase............does it ever end

Unread postby huntinnurse » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:24 am

I honestly think that alot of states are really trying to dissuade NR from coming to hunt, and, therefore taking of their natural resources. Seems like the taxes on the license and the money the hunters spend in those out of state hunts must not offset the cost of the animal. (based on restitution figures some states can get for illegal or poached animals) I am not saying they are promoting poaching, just restitution puts a $$$ figure on the head of the animal and the $$ a hunter spends in that state is less than that restitution figure. I am probably way off but, what other factors do the various states use to decide to increase their tag prices by hundreds of $$$$ in a years time?
With the ecomnomy the way it is, do they really think the same # of people that came the year or 2 before will spend that much more in increased tag cost and return to that state? Either they are knowingly shooting themselves in the foot, don't want NR residents coming or are really wanting hunting to become more for the rich only and not the working class hunter.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
User avatar
Black Squirrel
500 Club
Posts: 4978
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:50 am
Location: NE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Montana license fee increase............does it ever end

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:46 am

Dewey wrote:Montana Nonresident Big Game And Deer Combination License Prices Increase
Posted by admin on February 26th, 2011
Nonresidents will pay more for Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks’ nonresident big game and deer combination licenses in 2011.

Last November, when voters approved an initiative that moved 7,800 outfitter-sponsored big game and deer combination licenses to the general nonresident license category, they also increased the associated license fees.
The fee increases include:

•a nonresident big game combination license fee of $912, up from $643;
•a nonresident deer combination license fee of $542, up from $343; and
•a nonresident elk combination license fee of $812, up from $593.
Nonresident hunters who wish to apply for these licenses will find application deadlines, printable application forms and other information on the FWP website at fwp.mt.gov on the Hunting page under licenses.

The revenue generated by the increased license fees is earmarked for wildlife habitat conservation and public hunting access programs. The fee increases only apply to nonresident combination licenses. Other nonresident licenses are not affected.

OUCH! Those are some nasty increases
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 33386
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Online

Re: Montana license fee increase............does it ever end

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:00 am

huntinnurse wrote: Either they are knowingly shooting themselves in the foot, don't want NR residents coming or are really wanting hunting to become more for the rich only and not the working class hunter.

Exactly!!
It seems like the whole country is attacking the working class any way they can. It is sad to see hunting becoming more and more of a rich man sport every year and I fear for the future. I don't see it ever getting any better. The more budget cuts government agencies make the more they are going to raise fees to make up for them in other areas.
User avatar
Schultzy
500 Club
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:46 pm
Location: Minnesota
Status: Offline

Re: Montana license fee increase............does it ever end

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:36 am

Yep, this sucks!! I've hunted Montana 6 different times elk hunting. At one time they were one of the cheaper ones. I very much love going out there but after hearing of the license Increase a few months ago I'm not sure their ever going to see another penny from me. We'll see I guess. Hunting will soon be a rich mans sport. Very sad that Is!!
User avatar
Dor
500 Club
Posts: 2187
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:15 am
Facebook: Chris Dornack
Location: SE MN
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Montana license fee increase............does it ever end

Unread postby Dor » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:21 am

Unfortunately if you wanna go Elk hunting its is one of the only places left where you still have a good chance to get a tag somewhat regular and can expect a decent hunt. I already didnt draw WY. I'm also in for UT and NM (2 hunts there) but those are some fairly long odds. MT might be the go to place. Considering an IA whitetail hunt all said in done about the same price I'd take the MT elk tag given the choice. Thats just me.

Definitely not a poor mans game anymore and the odds are extremely stacked against you if you want to go to a proven unit. Starting from scratch it is way under 1% or impossible in many areas.
Image

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Uncle Lou
Moderator
Posts: 9307
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Holly, MI
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Montana license fee increase............does it ever end

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:05 pm

I blame wolf reintroduction and the misuse of the Endangered Species act for further protecting the overpopulated killers. Fewer big game animals means fewer tags for sale, hence the price increase. This is the goal of the antis
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 39199
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Montana license fee increase............does it ever end

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:32 am

REDICULAS!
This is not suppy and demand. This is outright WRONG!
They are pricing out the regular hunters and making this a rich mans sport.
If your kids hunted with you there whole life and then ended up moving out of state do you think your state should have the right to charge them over $900 each to hunt on your family farm?
User avatar
Hodag Hunter
500 Club
Posts: 3837
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:14 pm
Location: Northern WI
Status: Offline

Re: Montana license fee increase............does it ever end

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:56 am

Isn't Montana in the wolf problem area like Wyoming and Idaho?

Maybe the MDNR is trying to save tages because of the elk population declining? Just a guess. :?

Edit: Oops, Just saw Lou's post.....on the same track has him.
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 39199
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Montana license fee increase............does it ever end

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:00 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Isn't Montana in the wolf problem area like Wyoming and Idaho?

Maybe the MDNR is trying to save tages because of the elk population declining? Just a guess. :?

Edit: Oops, Just saw Lou's post.....on the same track has him.

Easy enough to limit the tags to a lower number rather than out price common people.
User avatar
Hodag Hunter
500 Club
Posts: 3837
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:14 pm
Location: Northern WI
Status: Offline

Re: Montana license fee increase............does it ever end

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:08 am

dan wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:Isn't Montana in the wolf problem area like Wyoming and Idaho?

Maybe the MDNR is trying to save tages because of the elk population declining? Just a guess. :?

Edit: Oops, Just saw Lou's post.....on the same track has him.

Easy enough to limit the tags to a lower number rather than out price common people.


Dan, I agree but, that would be the "correct" or ethical thing to do. Not that all DNR's are out to get the little guy, but hunting has turned into a business. The more demand, or less product, the price will increase. Sucks for sure, but until guys stop buying them at high prices or boycot, can't see the price increases stoping.
Uncle Lou
Moderator
Posts: 9307
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Holly, MI
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Montana license fee increase............does it ever end

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:20 pm

I am just saying since there are fewer tags to sell (due to the appetite of the many wolves), and I don't think the MT DNR wants to take in less money, they just charge more. If they raise enough money this way their Dept doesn't suffer. Now, clearly the hunters do.

I wish they would delist and put a season on the wolves. Then the wolves can contribute to their management instead of drain the MT DNR and the taxpayer. Big game numbers would rebound as well and hopefully MT would charge less for a tag and sell more tags.

It is not supply and demand, it is an experiment by a govt department to see if they can raise the same amount of money a different way.
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
User avatar
Dor
500 Club
Posts: 2187
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:15 am
Facebook: Chris Dornack
Location: SE MN
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Montana license fee increase............does it ever end

Unread postby Dor » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:13 pm

It really is a sad situation. Prices keep going up and draw odds (at least for the good areas) keep getting harder. I will be into 2011 draws at least 500$ just applying, not to mention the 1000's you have to throw out there before you get your refunds when you dont draw. Sucks big time. Glad I don't have a car payment. :mrgreen:
Image

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com


  • Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mike_mc, tcjohnsonjacks and 1 guest