Wolf Hunting and Social Media

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
User avatar
Tim H
500 Club
Posts: 2489
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:37 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nomadicbeastwi
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Wolf Hunting and Social Media

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:06 am

I know that many on this site don't engage in other social media and I commend you for that! This post is for others who are on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.

In the last few days of witnessing the reactions of the wolf hunting on social media, one thing I can conclude is that many need some practice in tact.

I've witnessed a lot of ignorance on the side that is not hunting and conservation. I think that is expected. But as a hunter, I believe in conservation and as part of conservation I think it's our job to portray a respectful behavior so we don't create more enemies on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Surely we will not sway the anti's from their crusades of saving the wolves, however there are many that haven't made up their decisions on whether wolf hunting is good for our state or not. Posting things like SSS or encouraging to break rules doesn't help matters. What does help is educating and being respectful. We cannot control how the other side thinks and behaves. We as hunters only can control what we do and how we behave. As a suggestion, and this is something I learned in my trapper education course, when someone doesn't understand why the wolves or any animal for that matter are being killed, try to educate in a respectful manner or simply just look the other way and move on with our business. Don't give the other side ammunition to stop managing the wolves.


User avatar
Lockdown
Moderator
Posts: 8443
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: MN
Status: Offline

Re: Wolf Hunting and Social Media

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:13 am

Great post, Tim.

I think the anti’s should be approached the same way I approach my wife in an argument. Stay calm, and keep driving home the facts :lol:

STAY ON SUBJECT

AND ONCE THEY REALIZE THEY’RE LOSING AND GO ROGUE (you can bank on this), STAY CALM, AND REALIZE YOU’VE WON THE ARGUMENT. Then just fade away from the conversation. It drives them nuts.

;)
User avatar
Tim H
500 Club
Posts: 2489
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:37 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nomadicbeastwi
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Wolf Hunting and Social Media

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:17 am

Lockdown wrote:Great post, Tim.

I think the anti’s should be approached the same way I approach my wife in an argument. Stay calm, and keep driving home the facts :lol:

STAY ON SUBJECT

AND ONCE THEY REALIZE THEY’RE LOSING AND GO ROGUE (you can bank on this), STAY CALM, AND REALIZE YOU’VE WON THE ARGUMENT. Then just fade away from the conversation. It drives them nuts.

;)


Great marriage advice in theory, but I can't say that it would really work in reality. I was taught to say YES DEAR by a man much older and smarter than myself. Most of the time, he's been right even though I don't take his advice a lot of the time. :lol:
User avatar
Lockdown
Moderator
Posts: 8443
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: MN
Status: Offline

Re: Wolf Hunting and Social Media

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:55 am

Tim H wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Great post, Tim.

I think the anti’s should be approached the same way I approach my wife in an argument. Stay calm, and keep driving home the facts :lol:

STAY ON SUBJECT

AND ONCE THEY REALIZE THEY’RE LOSING AND GO ROGUE (you can bank on this), STAY CALM, AND REALIZE YOU’VE WON THE ARGUMENT. Then just fade away from the conversation. It drives them nuts.

;)


Great marriage advice in theory, but I can't say that it would really work in reality. I was taught to say YES DEAR by a man much older and smarter than myself. Most of the time, he's been right even though I don't take his advice a lot of the time. :lol:


:lol:

If you’re trying to get a rise out of them... It works. Trust me ;)

I use yes dear as well. These days I pick and choose my battles lol.


All joking aside your original post is spot on. We can’t give the anti’s fuel. I can remember a post on this forum from years ago. Dude told people to shoot coyotes in the guts on purpose. Those are the types of comments that make us look like monsters. :snooty:
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 9429
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Online

Re: Wolf Hunting and Social Media

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:18 am

This is the right advice.

I have nothing but disdain for the tactics of the antis.

But the more casual observers do not need to know it. They need to be taught the place of conservation and getting in a whizzing match with an activist isn’t going to help anyone.

Keep your powder dry no matter what the activist left does to agitate you.
——-
Let’s go Brandon!
User avatar
Wolfie417
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:29 am
Facebook: brett wolf
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Wolf Hunting and Social Media

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:09 am

Couldn't agree more. The SSS guys are a big reason why predator hunting is so controversial right now.
User avatar
strutnrut716
500 Club
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:38 am
Location: Wisconsin Badger State
Status: Offline

Re: Wolf Hunting and Social Media

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:26 am

I agree....Great Post Tim !

On a side note, I am amazed at how quickly the harvest happened ! I grabbed a preference point and as you, I also have my trappers education. Guess I would really be interested in learning how successful the harvesters were these past few days. What worked and what didn't. (The best would probably be to work through instant messaging. I would definitely be looking for contacts and mentors ! )
User avatar
Tim H
500 Club
Posts: 2489
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:37 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nomadicbeastwi
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Wolf Hunting and Social Media

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:34 am

strutnrut716 wrote:I agree....Great Post Tim !

On a side note, I am amazed at how quickly the harvest happened ! I grabbed a preference point and as you, I also have my trappers education. Guess I would really be interested in learning how successful the harvesters were these past few days. What worked and what didn't. (The best would probably be to work through instant messaging. I would definitely be looking for contacts and mentors ! )


While I haven't seen the data, I'm guessing the dog hunters went to town and hunted the wolves down. I have seen a lot of posts showing trucks, dogs, radios, and snow machines. I also saw this morning that they have exceeded the quota. According to the DNR website, 135 wolves had been killed. They wanted 119.
User avatar
strutnrut716
500 Club
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:38 am
Location: Wisconsin Badger State
Status: Offline

Re: Wolf Hunting and Social Media

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:39 am

Tim H wrote:
strutnrut716 wrote:I agree....Great Post Tim !

On a side note, I am amazed at how quickly the harvest happened ! I grabbed a preference point and as you, I also have my trappers education. Guess I would really be interested in learning how successful the harvesters were these past few days. What worked and what didn't. (The best would probably be to work through instant messaging. I would definitely be looking for contacts and mentors ! )


While I haven't seen the data, I'm guessing the dog hunters went to town and hunted the wolves down. I have seen a lot of posts showing trucks, dogs, radios, and snow machines. I also saw this morning that they have exceeded the quota. According to the DNR website, 135 wolves had been killed. They wanted 119.


Ok. Thanks. That's what I figured. Sure seems like the locals knew where to start. Guess I will have to start talking to my neighbors up there. If you get any contact info, send em my way. Thanks !
P&YBuck1
500 Club
Posts: 915
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:37 pm
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Wolf Hunting and Social Media

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:52 am

I too agree with what you say Tim, that we need to stay calm and use tact in explaining our positions.

I am not on social media for the same reasons many are not. I am curious to know how many calm and tactful responses get pulled since if they can pull off political posts, etc. why would they just stop there... They (Social media) control the narrative unfortunately, so will keep posts that work in their favor. Sad part is it is hard for a person such as myself to have resources to use another media that is not controlled as these are. Best thing I can do is educate in a calm and tactful way my opinion to those I meet in my daily life, but feel like I am losing the battle with these big groups that can just pummel the air waves with their narrative...

My 2 cents worth of opinion :)
VilasCo
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:11 am
Status: Online

Re: Wolf Hunting and Social Media

Unread postby VilasCo » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:58 am

This is a good post, Tim. I too am enrolled in Trappers Ed and found the Wisconsin Cooperative Trapper Education Program does a great job giving us tools for discussions with anti-hunters and anti-trappers. I think "antis" would gain a lot of insight from reading the trapper education material and would maybe understand that most hunters and trappers are ethical. The yahoos of the hunting world on social media are not doing us any favors in the fight against Wolf Patrol and other extreme organizations. We would all be foolish to think they can't have an impact on our outdoor pursuits. The extreme environmentalists have deep pockets and are gaining traction with their non-sense.
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 32980
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Wolf Hunting and Social Media

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:04 pm

Wolfie417 wrote:Couldn't agree more. The SSS guys are a big reason why predator hunting is so controversial right now.

Exactly. I cringe every single time I hear that term.

I don’t like wolves killing deer and ruining hunting but still respect them and think they do actually have a place as long as they’re properly managed.
User avatar
purebowhunting
500 Club
Posts: 1286
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:37 am
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Wolf Hunting and Social Media

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:12 pm

strutnrut716 wrote:
Tim H wrote:
strutnrut716 wrote:I agree....Great Post Tim !

On a side note, I am amazed at how quickly the harvest happened ! I grabbed a preference point and as you, I also have my trappers education. Guess I would really be interested in learning how successful the harvesters were these past few days. What worked and what didn't. (The best would probably be to work through instant messaging. I would definitely be looking for contacts and mentors ! )


While I haven't seen the data, I'm guessing the dog hunters went to town and hunted the wolves down. I have seen a lot of posts showing trucks, dogs, radios, and snow machines. I also saw this morning that they have exceeded the quota. According to the DNR website, 135 wolves had been killed. They wanted 119.


Ok. Thanks. That's what I figured. Sure seems like the locals knew where to start. Guess I will have to start talking to my neighbors up there. If you get any contact info, send em my way. Thanks !


Numbers currently are at 216 wolves. If the data of how the wolves were taken is provided, I'm sure hounds would he the most successful, this is due to the timing of the hunt and how long it lasted. In the fall if another hunt is allowed and it starts early November trapping would be very successful for the first month or so until we get snow and hounds get their time again.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests