How many inches in a year?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: How many inches in a year?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:47 am

Thanks for the pics Dan. I think those jumps are more typical when adequate nutrition is available. Those are some sweet brow tines too Dan! I hope I can get a buck with brow tines like that some day.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:53 am

I love this topic!! Just cool to see how different bucks grow from year to year in different areas and different states. Bucks really seem to grow the most in inches from the 3 year old to 4 year old age class from what I can tell and the mass seems to really start to add up when they reach that 4 year old class. At least that is what I see in my area.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:49 am

Here are a left and right side from a buck 3 1/2 and 4 1/2. He gained a lot more mass and couple 2 -3 inches per point.
I,m heading out next weekend to hopefully find his 5 1/2 year old head gear.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:46 pm

Swampthing wrote:Here are a left and right side from a buck 3 1/2 and 4 1/2. He gained a lot more mass and couple 2 -3 inches per point.
I,m heading out next weekend to hopefully find his 5 1/2 year old head gear.

Sweet buck! Should be a MEGA SLOB this coming year :)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:56 am

The last 5 years or so I've been fortunate enough to watch certain bucks grow from one year to the next. I was surprised by some. To me I think the biggest factor Into growing Inches In genes. The second factor Is nutrients and what's available for them during the spring and summer months. The 3rd Is how severe was the winter and Spring.

In 2008 I could've shot a 3.5 year old 8 point. He would've scored right at 125 Inches or so. The next year In 2009 as a 4.5 year old he put on many Inches. He also turned Into a 10 point with a kicker. He would've scored right around 150 Inches. I stuck him the 1st time I saw him but didn't recover him. I saw him 4 times after this. In the spring of 2009 beans were the crop on our land. The next year (2010) he was still a 10 point. I came very close to shooting him again, had him at 12 yards but no shot. Saw him 3 more times after that. The Muzzleloader season got him. He ended up rough scoring 165 Inches with a busted off G1. Would've went a tad over 170 Inches otherwise. His mass actually shrunk by the looks of It. In the spring of 2010 corn was the primary crop. Beans I think are the cats meow compared to corn. It seems every year we have beans around we tend to see nicer jumps In racks from the previous year with the same bucks. I had some 2007 pics of him as a 2.5 but can't find them. :evil: He was an 8 point, he would've scored right around 105 Inches or so. He wasn't wide then but had nice tine length and his famous crooked left G1. In 2007 we had corn In. His biggest jump was from a 3.5 to a 4.5.

Here are his pics.

3.5 year old

4.5 year old

5.5 year old
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:50 am

Nice compilation of pics Schultzy.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:08 am

This is a cool thread seeing bucks increase antler size. Andrae's flyer buck was in the 170's the year before he killed it and had a massive growth in size and grossed around 210 in'!!!

Dan what was the story behind that buck you showed in the previous page that grossed in the 160's...?
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:22 am

WOW! Thanks Dan, Schultzy, Swampthing, and Spysar! That is so cool to have that kind of history with a particular deer and then end up putting him on the ground! I am hoping to do the same......THIS SEAON! I am going shed hunting today.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:35 am

Dan what was the story behind that buck you showed in the previous page that grossed in the 160's...?

I watched that buck grow up in a small area. He rarley left a square mile area. All of his sheds were found in the same bedding area year after year within a 100 yard circle. I consider that buck my mentor. Although I have never written a story about that specific buck, the hunt for him really taught me how to pursue bug bucks and cemented the fact of hunting buck bedding areas or within very close proximity. I was watching him from the mid to late 1980's, a time when a 140/150 inch buck was a big buck maybe considered as uncommon as a booner now.
I hunted the buck from the 2 years old till I killed him getting more and more aggressive as he grew older. There were lots of missed opertunitys, and even a bad shot on him when he was 3 Y/O.
The year I got him my stratagy had changed and I had scouted hard the spring before learning all of his bedding areas.
I shot him with a 12 gauge shotgun with bird sights at about 30 yards. I spent gun season week sneaking into all of his known bedding areas until I finally jumped him out of a dogwood patch by striking an old junk car near his bed with a rock while I sat on a hill ready for his escape. He ran out full tilt and I hit him with the last shell in the gun.
Interesting twist on this story... The buck caused a lot of commotion because of its size and a guy brought someone over to see the big buck we all thought at the time would make B&C, The guys name was "Andrae D'Aquisto"
and he had just started casting a new type of treestand and gave me one that day to try out... A friendship grew from that day on.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:46 am

dan wrote:

I watched that buck grow up in a small area. He rarley left a square mile area. All of his sheds were found in the same bedding area year after year within a 100 yard circle. I consider that buck my mentor. Although I have never written a story about that specific buck, the hunt for him really taught me how to pursue bug bucks and cemented the fact of hunting buck bedding areas or within very close proximity. I was watching him from the mid to late 1980's, a time when a 140/150 inch buck was a big buck maybe considered as uncommon as a booner now.
I hunted the buck from the 2 years old till I killed him getting more and more aggressive as he grew older. There were lots of missed opertunitys, and even a bad shot on him when he was 3 Y/O.
The year I got him my stratagy had changed and I had scouted hard the spring before learning all of his bedding areas.
I shot him with a 12 gauge shotgun with bird sights at about 30 yards. I spent gun season week sneaking into all of his known bedding areas until I finally jumped him out of a dogwood patch by striking an old junk car near his bed with a rock while I sat on a hill ready for his escape. He ran out full tilt and I hit him with the last shell in the gun.
Interesting twist on this story... The buck caused a lot of commotion because of its size and a guy brought someone over to see the big buck we all thought at the time would make B&C, The guys name was "Andrae D'Aquisto"
and he had just started casting a new type of treestand and gave me one that day to try out... A friendship grew from that day on.

That is a cool story! How the "Big Buck Serial Killer" was born and a friendship cemented! Isn't it cool how something like deer hunting can create great friendships.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:24 am

Cool story Dan.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:02 am

That,s an awesome story Dan .
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:38 am

Indianahunter wrote:WOW! Thanks Dan, Schultzy, Swampthing, and Spysar! That is so cool to have that kind of history with a particular deer and then end up putting him on the ground! I am hoping to do the same......THIS SEAON! I am going shed hunting today.
Sadly, It wasn't I who had the last say with him. The neighboring land owner 1/2 mile away shot him during the ML season this last year. That's where I took the pics of him and measured him. I also found where I hit him In 2009. I hit him on the edge of the shoulder blade and It didn't penetrate him enough. :(
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:44 pm

heres a buck i was chasing and got the sheds to...at 3 1/2 i scored his sheds at 149 inches
now at 4 1/2 the neighbor killed him and the buck gross scored 182 inches..for that deer, he grow many inches in one year

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”