Aerial identification

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
naternate
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:12 pm
Status: Offline

Aerial identification

Unread postby naternate » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:59 pm

Have been doing some e-scouting for a trip to Kansas this fall. Looking at aerial maps has been somewhat frustrating because I do not have experience in this type of terrain/vegetation. In the area I live I can easily pick out different vegetation types, crop types, terrain, trails in marshes, etc but looking at the Kansas areas there are some things I have difficulty figuring out because I have never actually seen them in person. Have searched a lot of threads on here and other places but it takes a ton of time to sift through threads trying to find what you are looking for. It got me thinking that a thread with aerial examples (screen grabs, pics, whatever you call it) of different things from different areas might be a cool idea and a good resource for hunters on here. Is there already something on here of this type on here I haven't seen? Would people be interested in something like this? If it seems like people are interested, I would start a thread where we could post examples. Have been tossing ideas around in my head how to make it easily searchable on the forum.


User avatar
seazofcheeze
500 Club
Posts: 3387
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Status: Offline

Re: Aerial identification

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:48 pm

naternate wrote:Have been doing some e-scouting for a trip to Kansas this fall. Looking at aerial maps has been somewhat frustrating because I do not have experience in this type of terrain/vegetation. In the area I live I can easily pick out different vegetation types, crop types, terrain, trails in marshes, etc but looking at the Kansas areas there are some things I have difficulty figuring out because I have never actually seen them in person. Have searched a lot of threads on here and other places but it takes a ton of time to sift through threads trying to find what you are looking for. It got me thinking that a thread with aerial examples (screen grabs, pics, whatever you call it) of different things from different areas might be a cool idea and a good resource for hunters on here. Is there already something on here of this type on here I haven't seen? Would people be interested in something like this? If it seems like people are interested, I would start a thread where we could post examples. Have been tossing ideas around in my head how to make it easily searchable on the forum.


I've hunted KS a few years, what specifically is giving you issues on the aerials?
naternate
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:12 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Aerial identification

Unread postby naternate » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:38 pm

Having difficulty determining what is cattle pasture vs CRP fields. Obviously some you can see the cattle in. Some I see what look like trails through/around them. I don't know if they are cattle trails vs deer. Can you see deer trails in CRP like you can in marsh grass/cattails? I would assume a lot of trails converging on a small water source in open areas would be cattle?
naternate
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:12 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Aerial identification

Unread postby naternate » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:47 pm

Also, do you know what the curved lines in the pic below are from? it is an open field I assume is CRP but unsure what those lines are
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
naternate
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:12 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Aerial identification

Unread postby naternate » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:03 pm

This pic is one relating to the pasture vs CRP. A lot of trails to that one corner. Obviously some are 2 tracks made by a vehicle. Are the other straight ones by themselves cattle? I would assume they are not deer because I see no reason for them to travel like that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
naternate
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:12 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Aerial identification

Unread postby naternate » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:08 pm

another pasture vs CRP one. Thanks for any help on these
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
BRoth82
500 Club
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:00 am
Location: Southern MN
Status: Offline

Re: Aerial identification

Unread postby BRoth82 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:18 am

I'll take a stab at the second one, I've been hunting NE for a couple years so fat from an expert.

The dark green area if an ag field, with the round bails stacked along the fence line my guess would be a wheat, hay or alfalfa field. The trails converging in that one spot is likely where the gate is. The other areas would be prairie grass, could be ankle high or shoulder high. A lot of it depends on how many cattle are out there grazing it.

I've found that deer will travel the cattle trails as well, especially in the hilly areas, the cattle seem to find the easiest way down and up out of those draws.
User avatar
buttonbuck
500 Club
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:41 pm
Location: SC
Status: Offline

Re: Aerial identification

Unread postby buttonbuck » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:48 am

naternate wrote:Also, do you know what the curved lines in the pic below are from? it is an open field I assume is CRP but unsure what those lines are

These are large abrupt elevation changes.
naternate
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:12 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Aerial identification

Unread postby naternate » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:28 pm

buttonbuck wrote:
naternate wrote:Also, do you know what the curved lines in the pic below are from? it is an open field I assume is CRP but unsure what those lines are

These are large abrupt elevation changes.


Are they terraced or just steep slope that levels off and then drops off again?
User avatar
buttonbuck
500 Club
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:41 pm
Location: SC
Status: Offline

Re: Aerial identification

Unread postby buttonbuck » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:12 pm

naternate wrote:
buttonbuck wrote:
naternate wrote:Also, do you know what the curved lines in the pic below are from? it is an open field I assume is CRP but unsure what those lines are

These are large abrupt elevation changes.


Are they terraced or just steep slope that levels off and then drops off again?


Very steep but possibly climbable.
User avatar
Wannabelikedan
500 Club
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:28 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Status: Offline

Re: Aerial identification

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:22 pm

buttonbuck wrote:
naternate wrote:
buttonbuck wrote:
naternate wrote:Also, do you know what the curved lines in the pic below are from? it is an open field I assume is CRP but unsure what those lines are

These are large abrupt elevation changes.


Are they terraced or just steep slope that levels off and then drops off again?


Very steep but possibly climbable.


They’re for erosion control. Literally about 3’ on average. Pull a topo and they’re pretty consistent with those lines.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
User avatar
Wolfshead
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:41 pm
Location: CNY
Status: Offline

Re: Aerial identification

Unread postby Wolfshead » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:08 pm

naternate wrote:Have been doing some e-scouting for a trip to Kansas this fall. Looking at aerial maps has been somewhat frustrating because I do not have experience in this type of terrain/vegetation. In the area I live I can easily pick out different vegetation types, crop types, terrain, trails in marshes, etc but looking at the Kansas areas there are some things I have difficulty figuring out because I have never actually seen them in person. Have searched a lot of threads on here and other places but it takes a ton of time to sift through threads trying to find what you are looking for. It got me thinking that a thread with aerial examples (screen grabs, pics, whatever you call it) of different things from different areas might be a cool idea and a good resource for hunters on here. Is there already something on here of this type on here I haven't seen? Would people be interested in something like this? If it seems like people are interested, I would start a thread where we could post examples. Have been tossing ideas around in my head how to make it easily searchable on the forum.


I believe that, a post where people can share aerial examples would be GREAT, and an awesome tool for hunters.
Maybe to go a step further to also possibly show where you think bedding may be and why you think so, what are trails that are significant, and other certain points of interest AND why.
Often times there are pics posted and, the OP will explain that “this is we’re I plan to put boots on the ground....” but without explaining why they are scouting there.
I don’t always understand the whys and that would help me a lot.
naternate
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:12 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Aerial identification

Unread postby naternate » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:50 am

Wannabelikedan wrote:
buttonbuck wrote:
naternate wrote:
buttonbuck wrote:
naternate wrote:Also, do you know what the curved lines in the pic below are from? it is an open field I assume is CRP but unsure what those lines are

These are large abrupt elevation changes.


Are they terraced or just steep slope that levels off and then drops off again?


Very steep but possibly climbable.


They’re for erosion control. Literally about 3’ on average. Pull a topo and they’re pretty consistent with those lines.


Interesting! We have nothing like that here. Do you know how deer relate to areas like that?
naternate
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:12 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Aerial identification

Unread postby naternate » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:51 am

Wolfshead wrote:
naternate wrote:Have been doing some e-scouting for a trip to Kansas this fall. Looking at aerial maps has been somewhat frustrating because I do not have experience in this type of terrain/vegetation. In the area I live I can easily pick out different vegetation types, crop types, terrain, trails in marshes, etc but looking at the Kansas areas there are some things I have difficulty figuring out because I have never actually seen them in person. Have searched a lot of threads on here and other places but it takes a ton of time to sift through threads trying to find what you are looking for. It got me thinking that a thread with aerial examples (screen grabs, pics, whatever you call it) of different things from different areas might be a cool idea and a good resource for hunters on here. Is there already something on here of this type on here I haven't seen? Would people be interested in something like this? If it seems like people are interested, I would start a thread where we could post examples. Have been tossing ideas around in my head how to make it easily searchable on the forum.


I believe that, a post where people can share aerial examples would be GREAT, and an awesome tool for hunters.
Maybe to go a step further to also possibly show where you think bedding may be and why you think so, what are trails that are significant, and other certain points of interest AND why.
Often times there are pics posted and, the OP will explain that “this is we’re I plan to put boots on the ground....” but without explaining why they are scouting there.
I don’t always understand the whys and that would help me a lot.


When I get a little more time I think I will start a thread.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jdw and 1 guest