Any idea how to cross a deep fast moving river?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Dewey

Re: Any idea how to cross a deep fast moving river?

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:06 pm

Be careful crossing a fast moving river. I crossed one this past season often that was fairly shallow and the power of the current is nothing to mess with.

Pudster
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Pudster » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:31 pm

dan wrote:Get a good running start before you jump... Whatever you do, be safe, but I wonder about those portages and obstacles? you couldnt cross at any of those points? I remember a deer hunt in the early 90's in Montana where I was there for a week and the only shooter I saw was across a raging fast deep river. The rancher owned the land over there, but the neighbor wouldn't let me cross his land. I saw that buck a few days in a row. It was barely a shooter, about 125/130 class 10 point, but nothing else close was seen. Rancher said throw your bow acoss and get a running start and jump with a big inner tube he had... I was younger and dumber, but not quite that dumb... If there is a safe way to do it, do it... If not, cut your losses and look elsewhere. Its only a deer, its not worth your life.

Thanks, Private property thats not crossable is the only other way other than the long obstacle ridden float into it. I think my best bet might be to play around in there a little this summer when the water is warm, and try to search for any possible shallow spot to wade across, if i cant find that I might try one of those blow up rafts some one mentioned earlier. If i flip it in the summer it wont be a big deal. I feel like it might be worth sticking a bit more time into it before I give up completely. I want to see first hand how deep it is and how swift the current is. I have only seen this spot in the winter, and any info about the fall conditions of the river was given to me by another hunter I had just met.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:22 pm

Pudster wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:A friend and I have an inflatable kayak we are planning to use next season for the exact same scenario.

Sounds like we scouted the same spot, we will see you there!

Ha!! Would you blow it up at your vehicle then carry it through the brush to the river? I would worry about puncturing it on the way out there.

Blow it up once we got to the river bank. Takes about 20 minutes to get it blown up. It weighs about 30 pounds and we’d probably only carry one paddle, one PFD only one of us would be in it at a time.
“Stay strapped or get clapped!” Theodore Roosevelt
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:18 pm

I think you can inflate those rafts in seconds with a Co2 cartridge, not?
It would sure be worth it instead of huffing and puffing for twenty minutes after arriving at the river bank.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:55 am

You can build a small john boat out of plywood for pretty cheap.

Whatever you use will require some lugging. Someone said a packable raft - someone said float tube - someone said canoe... All good ideas. If you can't stash it, you need super portable.

I like the idea of some way to use the swing rope so you don't need the craziness of paddling against the current. You can get a throw-able size grappling anchor and use paracord. If you want to carry extra rope, just tie a piece to a tree on the way across and use it to swing the boat back over later. If with a buddy, def bring extra rope so he can pull the boat back to get across.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:07 am

Zip line and a saddle. Pull yourself back across with a rope. A little off the wall, but would beat hauling a boat back in there.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:56 am

Ack wrote:Zip line and a saddle. Pull yourself back across with a rope. A little off the wall, but would beat hauling a boat back in there.

Actually, unconventional but pretty handy. I had a spot where I could have used that. Might try it if I wind up hunting there next year.
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
G-Patt

Unread postby G-Patt » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:03 am

I'm thinking two inflatable pool rafts, an Airhead foot pump, duct tape, rope and some ingenuity would do the trick. Plan to get wet.
Last edited by G-Patt on Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
mike_mc

Unread postby mike_mc » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:23 am

Maybe pull your inflatable with a jet sled to the river, then use the jet sled to float your gear across?
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:45 am

Pudster wrote:
PK_ wrote:Invest in a real pack raft if this kind of stuff will be in your plans regularly. Mine rolls up about the size of a Nalgene and weighs a few pounds I think. It cost me a few hundred but has opened up worlds to me. No way I would attempt a deep swift river in cold weather and with gear without a PFD.

You will want a line across the river to pull across like someone mentioned unless you drop in a ways upstream from where you want to end up.

Is there a brand or type you would recommend?

Klymit lite water had really good reviews for the price point I would have bought that but it was out of stock everywhere when I was looking. So I ended up with a Supai Matkat little lighter and little more weight capacity.

Understand when using a kayak, canoe, small raft heck even a Jon boat plan on getting a little wet. Waterproof gloves, rain pants etc... can go a long ways to keeping you from soaking into your main clothes if you are going to be then going in for a full day sit during cold weather... good wool socks/bases are important.

Good luck and BE SAFE.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:09 am

Get in there in late summer when the water is at its lowest point. Look around, you may be able to find a crossable area that is just not showing up right now. Mark it on your GPS, and at least you will know of a place you can cross when the water is down.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”