milkweed seeds.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BRoth82
500 Club

Re: milkweed seeds.

Unread postby BRoth82 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:53 am

Dumas1dr wrote:I could use some seeds if anyone has any available, I would pay for postage and for the seeds. I would rather support a member. I live in western Minnesota and want to start to grow some. I am new to milkweed so when do they start to produce the pods to go pick in spring? I am thinking about buying a pack of the internet so I don't have to wait. Anyone have a good source they like to get them from?

Did you ever find some seeds? If not send me a PM I have a few sandwich bags full of the fluff and seeds, I'll send you a bag.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:28 am

MittenHunter wrote:Yes, plant native milkweed. Even if you have easy access, the milkweed populations are down across N. America due to pesticide usage. For some reason, people want to control milkweed as it suffers from poor branding. The fact is, Monarch butterflies NEED milkweed nectar to survive. The reduction of native milkweed across the U.S. is suspected to be the cause of the Monarch butterfly population crash. In fact, 12/15/20 the Fish and Wildlife Service moved Monarch butterfly to the Endangered list: https://www.fws.gov/savethemonarch/ssa.html

Here is the kicker, plant the U.S. native species not the botanical ones that are native to Mexico. Unfortunately, the ones from Mexico are preferred by people due to the flower. Problem for the Monarch...they get fooled into thinking they reached the end of the migration.

This link will provides more information and has an interactive map where you could purchase seed across the Midwest: https://monarchjointventure.org/get-inv ... r-monarchs

Or you could just grow the ones you find along the roadway.

Quoting to bump this to the top. Very informative. Very important details. Local seed sources are usually best for any planting.
A common word that people hear about for invasive plants is honeysuckle. Like milkweed it has numerous versions. Some are native but most of the problems are coming from the introduced species.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Dumas1dr

Unread postby Dumas1dr » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:48 am

BRoth82 wrote:
Dumas1dr wrote:I could use some seeds if anyone has any available, I would pay for postage and for the seeds. I would rather support a member. I live in western Minnesota and want to start to grow some. I am new to milkweed so when do they start to produce the pods to go pick in spring? I am thinking about buying a pack of the internet so I don't have to wait. Anyone have a good source they like to get them from?

Did you ever find some seeds? If not send me a PM I have a few sandwich bags full of the fluff and seeds, I'll send you a bag.

I did while out turkey hunting and ordered a couple seeds as well. This community is awesome had a few people reach out to help. Thank you though for reaching out if I hadn't stubbled across some I would definitely take you up on it. Now to put them to good use!
Babscanes

Unread postby Babscanes » Wed May 12, 2021 5:29 am

Never thought of growing it.
But this reminds me I need to get over to a local park where I found a ton of it with the kids. Grab some this fall.

Kids thought I was nuts explaining what I use it for.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”