Pull Rope

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Putt400

Re: Pull Rope

Unread postby Putt400 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:56 am

Putt400 wrote:
Putt400 wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
Putt400 wrote:I use paracord as my haul rope and two Nite Ize small carabiners with locks. I attach it to my safety harness and to my bow. I climb up into my stand and once strapped in for safety I pull up my bow. I do wrap my haul rope around a small length of 3/4” wood to keep it organized and preventing tangles.

They have locking ones? I'll have to look for those and repurpose the ones I'm using.

I’ll try and get a picture here for you to see.

Here it is.

You slide the small plastic piece down and it prevents the gate from opening. Hoping this makes sense.

“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:01 am

Putt400 wrote:
Putt400 wrote:
Putt400 wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
Putt400 wrote:I use paracord as my haul rope and two Nite Ize small carabiners with locks. I attach it to my safety harness and to my bow. I climb up into my stand and once strapped in for safety I pull up my bow. I do wrap my haul rope around a small length of 3/4” wood to keep it organized and preventing tangles.

They have locking ones? I'll have to look for those and repurpose the ones I'm using.

I’ll try and get a picture here for you to see.

Here it is.

You slide the small plastic piece down and it prevents the gate from opening. Hoping this makes sense.

Cool. I probably have one or two of the regular carabiners with the thumb screw lock somewhere. Or cheap at the hardware store.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:07 am

szwampdonkey wrote:Doyle’s attached to my Saddle

X2

It's a bit bulky but sure is nice not having to deal with knotted up ropes and then winding them up when done using. I like my Doyle's more every time I used it. The size and weight is an easy tradeoff for the convenience.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:51 am

Paracord tied to the seat of my lock-on and leave it in a dump pouch that’s attached under my seat. Before climbing up with my stand, I let it out and tie my bow on.
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:13 am

Retractable. Mine is attached to the outside of my pack. I have an old one but the Doyle’s hoist looks nice too.
Pudster
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Pudster » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:47 am

I do this and love it. Never a tangle, and super simple. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXdccn9CuCM
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:53 am

Pudster wrote:I do this and love it. Never a tangle, and super simple. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXdccn9CuCM

I really like this idea. I can’t quite make out the last part of how he ties the cord through itself because of his hand in the way. I’ll have to practice this and see what works.
Pudster
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Pudster » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:08 am

UncleBuck3268 wrote:
Pudster wrote:I do this and love it. Never a tangle, and super simple. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXdccn9CuCM

I really like this idea. I can’t quite make out the last part of how he ties the cord through itself because of his hand in the way. I’ll have to practice this and see what works.

I couldnt tell either, I just wind up the last foot or so around the whole thing and i have never had an issue.
Putt400

Unread postby Putt400 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:37 am

Neat idea and may have to experiment with this.
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:51 am

I use paracord, but I should probably find something else to use because it knots up occasionally
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:51 pm

I use a piece of para cord with a clip on the end to attach to my bow or gun the other end is rolled up around my deer e erre tool aka but out that is in my cargo pocket. Been using it like that for over a decade without any reason to change, works great.

There was a thread a little while ago about pull ropes and tangles. It's all about how you wrap it up. If you use para cord and wind it up like a fishing reel it twists the line and it tangles and is a mess. If you roll it up like a tape measure is stays straight and doesn't tangle. Just takes a few seconds longer to do it that way that's probably why most people have such a problem with the concept. The figure 8 method works the same way if you don't have something to roll it up around.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:46 am

UncleBuck3268 wrote:This may be an obvious answer to some, but how are you guys attaching your pull rope to yourself as you climb the tree you are hunting out of?

Do you tie it to your belt and simply climb? I am probably overthinking this.

I have to admit, I don’t wear a lineman’s belt climbing a tree. I just see it being too much of a hindrance around branches and such, but so is carrying my bow up the tree with me while climbing. I just see a pull rope being considerably easier.

Appreciate any input.

Zip tie an auto retractable 30’ Doyles Gear hoist to the front under side of your platform. Reach behind you when you get to the tree and connect your weapon. When you climb to the desired elevation and hang your stand, hop up in the seat, reach down and pull up. Easiest way ive found, I get the model with strapping not rope. Ive used dog retractable leashes before but they only go to 24’
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:53 am

I use paracord and tie it to my harness. It’s mostly a tangled mess but it packs nice.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:39 am

I use paracord. I have it tied around a small piece of pvc so I can wind it up. Once in the tree I use the paracord to tie branches out of the way if needed.
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:08 am

I use paracord with either snaps or carabiners. For my climber stand I keep the pull rope tied permanently to the side of the platform about 3" from the end and use a 20' pull rope. I wrap the pull rope around the stand platform and fasten it securely. This both keeps my pull rope neat and allows me to keep the stand fastened together tightly so it doesn't make noise while walking and attaching to the tree. I don't like the shot angle when I get much more than 20' off the ground. So the pull rope also acts as a height indicator.... which is helpful especially when climbing in the dark.

For a hang on stand I still permanently tie a pull rope to the stand but I will just wrap the pull rope around the stand platform but not the seat. It's just my way of keeping the pull rope neat and also ensures I will never forget my pull rope. I will let the pull rope down once i set my stand. Then re-wrap it before I take stand down.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”