Buck bedding questions???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Chief White Oak

Buck bedding questions???

Unread postby Chief White Oak » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:25 am

I have been hunting a specific buck for a few weeks now with not much luck. Season is still in here in Alabama, so while scouting I had an idea of where he should be, and I found what I am certain is two of his beds. I will include a pic of the topo and the two beds at the end of a point. I guess I'm just still new to bed hunting, but my strategies are not working. I'd like advice on which winds to hunt which beds and any other additional advice would be great. Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: Buck bedding questions???

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:56 am

Lot variables that can play into it. Not sure how deer activity is in the south this time of year- but I would start by asking some questions to myself like: Is there still rut activity i.e. fresh rubs or scrapes? Or is he in the post rut stages and bedding near food? Is it primary bedding and his core area? or is he just there because of the above mentioned? (rut activity still going or food etc.).Also- are these REALLY a buck's beds? Does will bed on those points also (up north here anyway). But from those questions- plan an attack and figure out a wind based access. Maybe set up a camera or 2 to figure out a pattern also. Also, change it up a bit. Maybe set up below them (to the East) and see what's going on. From your map icons, your tree stand placement might be too far from the action. If your hunting morning, try evening- or vice versa. Not trying to sound like a know it all- just my take and what I would do. Good luck!
Chief White Oak

Unread postby Chief White Oak » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:48 am

Thanks again for the reply Mike. Actually where I hunt we are in peak rut activity right now for the next week or two. The reason I said earlier that these were his beds is from my camera activity and the rubs, and scrapes that all point that direction. I'm assuming he also has one or two other beds for different wind directions in this type hill country. Like I said I'm just now learning to hunt beds. Now that I've found a few I realize how hard it is to actually hunt these locations and why these bucks bed in these hard to reach places.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:29 am

Chief White Oak wrote:Thanks again for the reply Mike. Actually where I hunt we are in peak rut activity right now for the next week or two. The reason I said earlier that these were his beds is from my camera activity and the rubs, and scrapes that all point that direction. I'm assuming he also has one or two other beds for different wind directions in this type hill country. Like I said I'm just now learning to hunt beds. Now that I've found a few I realize how hard it is to actually hunt these locations and why these bucks bed in these hard to reach places.

no problem! Just my 2 or 3 cents anyway.
Wow, crazy how late the rut is down there compared to up here. Peak rut here was week of Nov. 11th.
If its still rut phases, I would get in there in the morning super early. They'll chase at night into very early morning hours trying to find a hot doe. He'll make his way in there eventually to settle down. Early morning is good because if he's already bedded, he'll usually get up to check things out again mid morning or so. If you can still use your gun, I like to be on the ground for more range and move if needed.
Another point I would like to make during rut- and its a big one- where are the does bedding? buck bedding is good to know, but where are those does at he's monitoring? maybe try some set ups somewhere between without bumping them. Most importantly, stay on him, keep moving around and stay aggressive if he's in there. During rut all bets are off- he's on a doe and could care less about human intrusion. Ive had mature bucks in the past (and even the one I shot this year) smell my tracks where I walked and snort wheeze!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”