question for the Ohio folks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Dan T

question for the Ohio folks

Unread postby Dan T » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:41 am

I'm going for a joy ride to a couple of states I've never hunted to scout for next season. Ohio is one of the states I plan to pass through and scout along the way. I noticed the Ohio archery season is still going, I'm thinking I might bring the sticks and string along. My question for the Ohio guys; what are the chances there is still some bone walking around out there, are the bucks shedding or still holding?

mauser06
500 Club

Re: question for the Ohio folks

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:28 pm

Pretty expensive tag to gamble on IMO. I'm just across the border in PA and they are definitely dropping. Several half racks on camera. Several no racks on camera. I had a big mature buck within 15yds yesterday that dropped already.

Sure...there's a chance you can find one. But personally, I'd save my $300.

If you already have the tag, absolutely take the now along.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:45 pm

I am in eastern Ohio I haven’t seen any shed bucks yet but it’s been at least 2 weeks since I’ve pulled cameras.
I past a two year old 8 point last Saturday afternoon he was lip curling with a group of does.
I saw a 3 year old chase a doe across the road a week ago.

Kind of late to buy an out of state tag but you can’t kill one by staying at home.
Dan T

Unread postby Dan T » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:59 am

Thanks for the input guys. Wishful thinking on my part. We don’t have much of a season up here, been closed for six weeks. I guess I’m suffering from PTSD...post treestand depression, post tracking snow depression.
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:55 pm

Never say never been a lifelong ohioan will say I have seen some deer shed before our season goes out but I would say overall most carry up to and after bow season goes out. I just killed a buck tonight horns seem solid. I've killed 3 now late January 17th, 18th, 22nd . Best hunting in my opinion for a mature buck. Pics in Beast Buck lineup . I always say hunt while u can never know when u may not be able!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:07 pm

Congrats Hoyt! I hunted northern Ohio the last two days and have seen a bunch of deer. No antlers. I wish I had more time to spend down there in January. Fun time to hunt
G-Patt

Unread postby G-Patt » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:24 am

I'm in Southern Ohio, and usually don't begin finding sheds till around mid February. If you think you might take an antlerless deer, be sure to read the regulations for Public Land (assuming you're hunt Public). Almost all of the Public Land hunting areas prohibit killing antlerless deer after December 6th. Check with the ODNR Officer for the area you plan to hunt. Good luck!
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:56 pm

Been hunting in Ohio for over 30 years. A lot of bucks hold antlers here in NE Ohio into Feb and even March. I have also seen plenty of bucks in SE Ohio carrying into Feb and beyond.

Personally I think it just depends on the harshness of the weather and we haven’t seen really tough Winters in awhile.

Passed a 2.5 8 point last weekend. Haven’t seen many bucks in the last two weeks but I’m hunting pressure public and weekends only right now.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”