2021 scouting reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
alkillman

Re: 2021 scouting reports

Unread postby alkillman » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:15 pm

I appreciate the advice. I didn't pay too much attention to whether or not he had cleared out lanes or anything like that, but I'll definitely hunt closer to bedding than him since there's enough room to do that while giving him some space.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:53 am

Went out to National forest for a hike. Hill country.

An observation hunt last year showed activity one knob over and I picked a new tree there. Followed deer trails around a large point that concentrates trails into a small area. Puzzle pieces are filled in.
My Aha moment was heading back towards the truck. A slope leading towards parking had a shelf and lots of underbrush. One thicket of bushes about 25 feet around had a circle hole in the middle. Bingo :dance: . And the ridge going uphill was thick as well. So I expect him to use that as an exit trail. Multiple trees are picked depending on how noisy the leaves are.
Building confidence for next season.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:58 am

Put on 9 miles scouting yesterday, was able to located 3 different bedding areas and picked out 3 stand trees and a ground blind set.
Then I headed to a WPA that I wanted to check out a small patch of trees 1.5 miles in. Made it half way to only find o un t that every tree and bush hot cut down and brush hogged. Decent amount of deer sign in the shatter cane grass. Would be hard to hunt them in that stuff.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:28 am

Took my girls for an overnight stay in the shanty last night. Just got done cleaning a meals worth of crappies, now I’m heading to the marsh. Going to meet Tyler and we’re going to scout some remote stuff I’ve been wanting to get to for 5 years. Hoping to add some solid sets to the list by the end of the day. Will post some pics later if we find something good.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:22 pm

Per usual, I bit off more than I could chew. ;) we covered 6.5 miles in 4.5 hours, got one legit ground blind prepped and another DYNAMITE ground blind picked out. This spot should be killer during rut. There were a bunch of fresh beds out there, and lots of rubs! We learned a ton but unfortunately we have to go back to finish up.

It’s a classic case of thick buckthorn and thick canopy. Ground sets have way better shooting possibilities here. Not to mention the extra work of hauling a stand in, plus being in close quarters, a ground set is much stealthier.

Came across a fence post rub in our travels. Saw a bunch of deer too. One looked to be a shooter buck that had shed.Big body... didn’t see any bucks holding. All in all it was a successful outing!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:24 pm

Nice work LD 8-)
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:55 pm

A place I have been to before. There's good stuff in here, but the good beds were elusive... For now. Just a few doe beds but a lot of sign. There's a lot to still uncover, made challenging by poor (green) aerials.

But for now....

20210228_135054.jpg

20210228_154616.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
Linwood'sfinest
Facebook: Michael Beebe

Unread postby Linwood'sfinest » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:28 am

szwampdonkey wrote:There are no more hidden gems.

If you find it with Onx or something i’m finding so have 5 other guys, especially this year. All you can do is out hunt people at this point because if it’s public people are on it, even swamps now.

What state are you in? I've seen this too in MN. I'm going to check out some remote stuff this weekend hopefully I don't find much hunter sign.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:11 am

Put on some miles speed scouting a new piece last Friday afternoon, found my 2nd and 3rd buck sanctuary on this piece. Need to go back and finish putting the pieces together but it looks pretty good. Scouting season starts in earnest for me very soon.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:40 am

Buddy of mine told me he wasn’t so sure the spot I pinned on his property was good bedding. There’s only one rub in there, but there’s a monster scrape and plenty of blowdowns with beds. Oxbow bedding. I told him I wanted to see it so we went in there yesterday. Low and behold we kicked one out of there... :shock:

Huge track. 3+ fingers. I find quite a few in the 3 finger range but I don’t find very many wider than that. It’s going to be tough to get on him in here with how the land lays out. There are other bedding areas as well.

We cleared some limbs off a tree to put a cam high up overlooking that scrape. Will be interesting to see how that pans out! We couldn’t find any kill trees that we liked, so we will have to re-hash things a bit. It’s one of those “how do you hunt him?” spots. But that’s why he’s there.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:17 am

szwampdonkey wrote:There are no more hidden gems.

If you find it with Onx or something i’m finding so have 5 other guys, especially this year. All you can do is out hunt people at this point because if it’s public people are on it, even swamps now.

On x has helped me alot but it definitely means it's helped others also. Unclebucks post shows that because I know exactly the marsh he's hunting. I won't move in on his spot since he scouted it first and I wouldn't feel good about it but it shows you have to think outside the box to get away from people.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:09 am

Who’s out scouting this weekend? Made it out for several 1/2 and 1 hour scouts at the local marsh this week. And will make an hour trip for a half day scout tomorrow.

Gotta get out there before these marshes thaw! A lot of the ice is deteriorating but the ground underneath is still frozen. Won’t be long till we’re dealing with hard walking...
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:54 am

Lockdown wrote:Who’s out scouting this weekend? Made it out for several 1/2 and 1 hour scouts at the local marsh this week. And will make an hour trip for a half day scout tomorrow.

Gotta get out there before these marshes thaw! A lot of the ice is deteriorating but the ground underneath is still frozen. Won’t be long till we’re dealing with hard walking...

Im flipping a coin tomorrow between one last time ice fishing or a scouting/steelhead fishing combo. I typically like to wait for the snow to melt some more so I can see the ground better. Tougher walking for sure, but I could stand to shed a few more winter pounds.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:52 pm

It was a beautiful sunny day in the marsh! I logged 4.97 miles with hip boots on and stand on my back. Found lone willow tree beds galore. Most didn’t have hair in them despite being worn down to the dirt. I’m assuming they see the most use when the marsh isn’t frozen. I did bump a couple deer...

I found at least a dozen heavily used beds, and a LOT of random beds. There isn’t any way to pin them down to a single bed or bedding area out there. I’m fairly certain this is a pressure bedding area that will get better as the season goes on. How bad will waterfowling pressure be? How bad will access be? Time will tell. Regardless, I’m excited about this whole area. I did prep a rut stand. It’s set up right where a creek bend meets up with one of the few areas of dry ground. There’s a couple scrapes nearby plus it’s a legit funnel. Great stand for bow or gun.

And with all the snow gone, sign at my main area of interest looked outstanding. Not only that, I found me a little present to bring home 8-)

Decent two year old. 8” g2, 4” brow, and main beam a hair over 16”. Maybe our paths will cross this fall :think: I did prep a natural blind in an awesome location. It will see rut action no doubt. I even had a doe and fawn come in while I was making the finishing touches.

Can’t wait to hunt this spot!
Linwood'sfinest
Facebook: Michael Beebe

Unread postby Linwood'sfinest » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:22 am

Does anyone use snow shoes while spring scouting? I haven't heard of anyone attempting this, but might be worth a try.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”