Trash in the woods

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wlog
500 Club

Trash in the woods

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:51 am

Last Sunday my daughter and I headed out to retrieve some cameras from one of the public properties I hunt. When we got to the last camera I commented to her that there wasn’t any Hunter sign around that area and I thought it seemed like that section was being left alone.

We grabbed the camera and then continued on to scout a little. When we got about 80 or so yards from that camera I noticed a plastic soda bottle on the ground and I walked over to it. When we got over there we found a tree scarred up from a climber and several pieces of trash circling the tree. So much for no Hunter sign.

I’m not really surprised I guess but it just seems like hunters of all people would be less likely to litter. As we continued scouting for the next hour I filled up an entire big plastic bag (which we also found out there) that was stuffed full when we finished. Awful nice of them to leave me a bag to clean up their mess.

It wasn’t all from hunters either. We found an area where the forest managers had replaced some culvert pipe and even they left their lunch trash in the woods. If you carry it in is it really that hard to carry it out?

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
PublicLandOwner529

Re: Trash in the woods

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:58 am

Frustrating. Just yesterday I picked up an entire 12 pack of tall boy beer cans at the public parking lot. :snooty:
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:11 am

Thank you for addressing a pet peeve of mine.

I hate litterbug slobs and am of the opinion that deliberatly leaving even part of a candy wrapper in the woods is a sign of some character flaw.

It screams laziness, selfishness, a lack of appreciaton for pristine wilderness, and disrespect toward fellow hunters and public land users.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:31 am

I have a hard time finding sympathy in my heart for people like this.
It is not difficult to keep a place as clean as you found it. Park lots are notorious dumping sites for trash- by more people than just hunters. But when you find trash in the woods from known hunters it really ticks me off.
We are responsible for our public land, why we would ever destroy it is beyond me.
Ryan
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:45 am

They are SLOBS

But not the kind we dream about. I would love to open their car door or house and dump everything I find discarded and left behind.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:50 am

It all drives me bonkers but what really grinds my gears is when I find trash left on the ice during ice fishing. Empty beer cans, propane tanks, food wrappers, you name it. People suck! Not gonna lay blame on a certain group of people but I was really surprised one season when a large group of amish hunters did a deer drive through a public section. The amount of trash they left behind was shocking. I did not expect that from them.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:42 am

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I went to explore a property line for some thick lake property. Well good news is that I found a parking lot.
Bad news is it's filled with garbage and a doe carcass.

Who raised these half-wits? I don't understand.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:17 pm

justdirtyfun wrote::twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I went to explore a property line for some thick lake property. Well good news is that I found a parking lot.

On a positive note...
I was happy that my daughter was with me and helped me pick up the trash. I think it was a good lesson for her to leave someplace cleaner than you found it. We had a conversation about it, picked up any trash we found throughout the day and focused more attention afterwards to the good stuff like looking at deer sign and other cool nature stuff.

I wasn’t overly negative and didn’t make it out like it was a burdensome chore but more like something we should do that isn’t hard and is just flat out the right thing to do.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:07 pm

I fully agree. I would be willing to put in for a fund for DNR to put cameras at parking areas and nab these people to the fullest extent. I cherish the public land and opportunity that we have as Americans. Always a few that have to ruin it for everybody else every time.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:59 pm

Wlog wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote::twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

On a positive note...
I was happy that my daughter was with me and helped me pick up the trash. I think it was a good lesson for her to leave someplace cleaner than you found it. We had a conversation about it, picked up any trash we found throughout the day and focused more attention afterwards to the good stuff like looking at deer sign and other cool nature stuff.

I wasn’t overly negative and didn’t make it out like it was a burdensome chore but more like something we should do that isn’t hard and is just flat out the right thing to do.

You handled it better than I might have; I probably would have unintentionally expanded her vocabulary a bit...
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:11 am

It appears that Busch Light is the preferred local beer from the number of beer cans in the ditches around the farm. Then we have been gifted with microwaves and other appliances tossed in the ditch. To take them to the local trash transfer station, there is a disposal fee, which people are trying to avoid. Quite intentional to load up your junk and drive out into the country to find a dark road to unload it....
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:25 am

It was a great lesson and example for your daughter. Be respectful for nature, not who does or doesn't own something.

It's a real pet peeve of mine too.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:00 am

This past weekend my wife and I were doing a little scouting at LBL. We found some trash around, usually places people park, but we also found a syringe next to a tree back in the middle of nowhere. It was about 1/2 mile from any vehicle access. I was surprised finding it that far back in the woods.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:54 am

This drives me bonkers what is the deal with beer cans and bottles everywhere, I am constantly picking them up. Also I can see how people get shot when there are guys going out and drinking 5/6 beers while hunting, just stupid, and it should be illegal at least on public ground. The other bottles I see are almost always energy drinks and Mountain Dew, just as annoying.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:06 am

My guess would be it's the same people that steal trail cameras. They are trash.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”