What's your dpsm?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

What's your dpsm

0-10
35%
10-20
30%
20-30
15%
30-40
11%
50+
9%

Total votes: 46
Edcyclopedia

Re: What's your dpsm?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:00 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Is dpsm = deer per square mile?

Doing poops some mornings :mrgreen:

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:25 pm

CTBuckHunterMH wrote:Hey neighbor! Just curious where you were able to find that info. I tried looking for it on the CT DEEP website but couldn’t find dpsm. I probably overlooked it somewhere

It's not on DEEP website. You can get that info from a wildlife biologist for your area. Way back in the day when they used to send out hard copy season summary they had that info there. These days they don't have the resources to go and get any hard numbers they just give an estimated guess. The only real hard numbers that CT has tried to get were down in farfield county where they have overpopulation issues and even those numbers are questionable at best. Some places are estimated to have up to 60 dpsm down there. Up in the NW corner where I am there are many places in single digits with pockets that can go up near 20. Overall in my best places I'm dealing with about 15 dpsm.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:06 am

The DEEP here is the same. I can’t ever remember them doing an actual count via IR. They use the SCWAG (Scientifically Calculated Wild A$$ Guess) method.

The DEEP says that it is 10 to 15 DPSM but they are in pockets so it’s hard to tell. The say that the goal is 6-15 DPSM.

Since they went to print your own paper tags the poaching has grown exponentially.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:30 am

My area has been 7dpsm for a while now, seems fairly accurate. Although there can be some huge 10-15 square mile swamps that won't hold those numbers. Makes scouting so important, you are either on them or they are miles away.
Sparkey

Unread postby Sparkey » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:23 pm

Closest to me is hillman @30 im basing this off of nothing but that seems very high lol
BJ99Robinson

Unread postby BJ99Robinson » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:54 am

Indiana claims 23, however my county seems to be less populated.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:56 am

As most have noted, this is hard to measure and highly variable based on terrain. River bottoms and timber will hold higher numbers than flat ag ground plowed ditch to ditch. While not a map of live deer per square mile, the harvest maps correlate well with where the deer population is in the state. Can't kill what isn't there, odds better the more deer there are. The area I hunt in east central Iowa I guessed at 20-30 deer per square mile.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
America works when Americans work.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”