How long do you give a property?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
brkissl82
500 Club

Re: How long do you give a property?

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:17 am

I have the exact opposite problem. I have a very small property that has some of the biggest rubs ive ever seen. And a lot of them every year.............but i never have seen a deer there in 3 seasons of hunting. Now in those 3 seasons ive probably only hunted it about 5 times. It drives me nuts. I go there and it looks like an awesome big buck spot but nada

Pudster
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Pudster » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:24 am

brkissl82 wrote:I have the exact opposite problem. I have a very small property that has some of the biggest rubs ive ever seen. And a lot of them every year.............but i never have seen a deer there in 3 seasons of hunting. Now in those 3 seasons ive probably only hunted it about 5 times. It drives me nuts. I go there and it looks like an awesome big buck spot but nada

I have to wonder if they are able to see you coming in, or its just a night time travel area. Have you ever run cameras in it? I would think that would answer a lot of questions for you.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:23 am

Pudster wrote:
brkissl82 wrote:I have the exact opposite problem. I have a very small property that has some of the biggest rubs ive ever seen. And a lot of them every year.............but i never have seen a deer there in 3 seasons of hunting. Now in those 3 seasons ive probably only hunted it about 5 times. It drives me nuts. I go there and it looks like an awesome big buck spot but nada

I have to wonder if they are able to see you coming in, or its just a night time travel area. Have you ever run cameras in it? I would think that would answer a lot of questions for you.

Im starting to think they see me coming. I would still think with 2 all day sits during the rut id have some cruisers coming in. I just put a cam up this past weekend but with no real big crossing or anything its hard to pinpoint where the best place for a cam would be.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:16 am

mheichelbech wrote:How many seasons would you give a property or area before dropping it from your rotation if not seeing the kind of bucks you are after? You see lots of deer and smaller bucks, the place has everything a buck would want and should have bucks traveling through, bedding, etc. but they just don’t seem to be around...no sighting, no trail cam pics and not much for buck sign but you keep thinking it should have the kind of bucks your after but they just don’t seem to be there. You do everything right, not over hunting, good access, and just aren’t seeing any.

How long before you stop giving it your time?

Are you bow or rifle hunting, have you spent time glassing from a position where you could NEVER be detected and do you have cameras running on the property? How many acres is the property?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:51 am

brkissl82 wrote:
Pudster wrote:

Im starting to think they see me coming. I would still think with 2 all day sits during the rut id have some cruisers coming in. I just put a cam up this past weekend but with no real big crossing or anything its hard to pinpoint where the best place for a cam would be.

Could be completely night movement with the rubs being made coming too and from bedding a good distance away. Rarely do obviously tore up spots with rubs and scrapes pay off for me with daylight movement. A great majority of that sign is done under the cover of darkness. Wait for snow and back track where they are coming from and where they are going. I’m betting you will be surprised the distance they travel from main bedding.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:59 am

Dewey wrote:
brkissl82 wrote:
Pudster wrote:

Could be completely night movement with the rubs being made coming too and from bedding a good distance away. Rarely do obviously tore up spots with rubs and scrapes pay off for me with daylight movement. A great majority of that sign is done under the cover of darkness. Wait for snow and back track where they are coming from and where they are going. I’m betting you will be surprised the distance they travel from main bedding.

I have gun and bow hunted it. Dewey the land owner owns 15acres but about 10 of its yard so i only have about 5 acres to work with. Its small but close to home for quick after work hunts. Cameras scare me especially on small properties so i havent put any up until now. I may have to run a camera or 2 and take a chance to see whats up. Dewey i have thought about night time and that may be the case but i still think id see somthn during the rut. These giant rubs are just hard to walk away from
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:59 am

brkissl82 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
brkissl82 wrote:
Pudster wrote:

I have gun and bow hunted it. Dewey the land owner owns 15acres but about 10 of its yard so i only have about 5 acres to work with. Its small but close to home for quick after work hunts. Cameras scare me especially on small properties so i havent put any up until now. I may have to run a camera or 2 and take a chance to see whats up. Dewey i have thought about night time and that may be the case but i still think id see somthn during the rut. These giant rubs are just hard to walk away from

I think cell cameras will be a game changer for me on one of the small properties I hunt. I put one up recent about a month ago and just the past few days have started getting bucks in daylight. Maybe a hot doe??? Not sure, time will tell but it’s a place I usually would have gotten frustrated with and stopped hunting it by now. Putting up regular cameras and checking them like I’d need to to determine deer movement would not have worked real well due to the pressure factor.
Probably something I should have done several seasons previous but I’m gonna out up some cheap cameras and leave them be for a while. I bought some apeman cameras that will be good for this purpose.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:54 am

Here is u something to chew on. The spot I had the best action on this year I’ve had permission to hunt for over a dozen years. Have sporadically hunted it in the past and ran cams on it for entire seasons. Always had decent deer movement in way of doe’s and very young bucks. But never any real “biggens” ever utilized the property. Pretty much had given up on this place. By pure luck/laziness I just put a camera back in usual place late October. But for whatever reason it was the happening spot this year. If it’s close/free never write the sucker off is my advice.
Eat the donut not the hole!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”