Frustration abounds...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
cdg097
Facebook: cdg097@yahoo.com

Re: Frustration abounds...

Unread postby cdg097 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:26 pm

Love the replies guys, much appreciated! Keep them coming!

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:31 pm

Delaware is so small. Most public is really easy access so by october most mature bucks are bedding on private.
Most public is surrounded by private here. And like ive said in a previous thread. Private here is majority heavily baited all presets and field edge box stands.
Bottom line ya gotta change as the pressure increases.
Private land is easier for older bucks to evade hunters because of the preset locations mentioned above.
Ive watched young bucks skirt ladder stands downwind and as passing by watching in the direction of the preset stand the whole way. And thats a younger buck. Couldn't imagine what the older boys do.
Its s no brainer for the older bucks to bed on private. The hunters who hunt it are so predictable to them. They hunt the same spots same times and enter snd exit the ssme way every hunt.
No brainer for them really
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:44 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
oldrank wrote:At this point with the public land mayhem brought on by the new public land hunting craze you almost need to scrap Dan's playback. How has Dan's success been on public lately? No offense at all meant by that but it is reality. Everyone knows these tactics now. You know what that means you have to do what everyone else isn't.

I posted about this in another thread. Alternate tactics are working for me. Im seeing every swamp being hunted. Every guy has sticks n stands.

Got a link to that thread? I think you’re onto something. Those “textbook” spots and ones you have history with can still work. BUT... Beast is about adapting. The stinky part about that is it takes time to find those adaptations and if you do, different adaptations might happen the next morning. Not an easy game, but nobody said it was. 8-)

I still have bow tags in my pocket. The weird thing is, I’m not too stressed. I am not worried about one spot or the other I’ve scouted being discovered, because it probably already has been (or was well-known to everyone but me). No, I’m going to look at everything with fresh eyes in the late season and scout until I get on sign. I will learn about what happens after high-pressure gun seasons and deer patterns if nothing else. I have found overlooked in past late season and I think I can fill a doe tag in overlooked real soon, but bucks will be harder. But I’m going to take what I know and not get stuck on textbook situations.

Started scouting last year and this year in mid December instead of Feb-April. It does tell you were the deer have not been pressured, and led me to better hunting this past November. Actually killed my buck on 11/20 in a bedding area that traditionally doesn't get hot until after Ohio's gun season ends around December 1. The pressure this year was that intense from opener and through "the lull" when it's usually pretty dead.
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:05 am

I was fortunate enough to arrow my biggest MI public land buck(116" 12pt) this year on Oct 5th. Last year I arrowed a nice buck (108" 8pt) on a different piece in the same area on Oct 19th. Post season scouting is the most critical thing imo. It took me 5 years of hunting and scouting hard on that heavily pressured stuff before I started seeing them and another couple before I would start getting in striking distance on one almost every year. I see a lot of guys with stands and saddles but they still lack the post season scouting in conjunction with mobile hunting. It is not just about learning that immidiate area but being able to translate what you learn on one similiar piece to another. I think relying on sign too much and not having a knowledge of what the deer prefer to hold up in when the pressure is on is a mistake. Especially on high pressure years like this with people bumping them around a lot, they dont always lay down sign immidiatly or at all when they get bumped into a new place. Finding a safe access that has a good glassing vantage with a smooth exit is proving to be lethal on getting on deer for me. Once i see something, then relying on fresh sign reading is used. This is how I go about it at least.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:02 am

Post season scouting is huge. Other than a trail camera, it gives you all in the intel you pretty much need for the next season for rut and pre rut. Just dont make the mistake of relying on it for early season though and setting up in there. They usually are not occupying that area yet unless its a primary bedding spot. They are usually located near AG or whatever the hot food source is during early season. Just have to re scout it a couple weeks before opener and see what's going on and where the fresh sign is.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:16 am

MichiganMike wrote:Post season scouting is huge. Other than a trail camera, it gives you all in the intel you pretty much need for the next season for rut and pre rut. Just dont make the mistake of relying on it for early season though and setting up in there. They usually are not occupying that area yet unless its a primary bedding spot. They are usually located near AG or whatever the hot food source is during early season. Just have to re scout it a couple weeks before opener and see what's going on and where the fresh sign is.

I agree 100%.
i made a huge mistake this year before the season September 1 was our opener. I speed scout first week august and check easy access cams.
In one paticular spot i checked and there was good sign
About 100 yards from the bean field.
I found actually super early scrapes. On a travel corridor within the 100 yards or so.
Theres a clear cut about 500 or 600 yards from bedding but its pressured bedding and i made the mistake of hunting the clearcut edges. Then after not seeing much i wondered wgat the was going on.
Man was i wrong for not putting some AM hunts up there by the beans. That place was even more tore up then back in august.
Definitely wont happen next year lol.
cdg097
Facebook: cdg097@yahoo.com

Unread postby cdg097 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:25 pm

One of the common themes I’m seeing from the responses is bedding. I’m having a hard time finding the bedding. There is zero Ag where I hunt in Central Michigan, its all big woods type stuff with cedar and tamarack swamps/marshes with not a lot of elevation change and not much as far as transitions/edge goes. When I do find that, I focus on it for bedding, but I’m finding that the deer aren’t bedding in any one spot consistently. Hard to focus on food sources too because there is a ton of oaks everywhere.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”