A couple nice bucks

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
brancher147
500 Club

A couple nice bucks

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:54 am

It's been a tough season for me in the WV mountains, which is not unusual, but I didn't even see any good bucks in October and hardly any deer at all. I had a bunch of pictures of really good bucks and one giant from summer trail cam pics but none of that was working out so I started roaming the mountains looking for fresh sign. I got on good sign pretty quick and ended missing a good buck on public land the first week of November in an overlooked spot up a steep cliff above a road. I was bouncing around hunting spots with easy access before the pressure got on and the rut really started kicking. My best spot was the hardest to access and I really didn't have a whole day to get in there and sit and wanted to wait until the conditions were right. After the November heat wave I started seeing bucks everywhere cruising and pushing does and some really good ones-I knew it was time to get in my best spot. It is a classic leeward upper 1/3 bedding point with laurel about 3 miles in on National Forest across two mountains. I had hunted the spot once in early November and knew I would be dealing with swirling winds and would need rising thermals to bow hunt it. November 18 the forecast was for a leeward wind and sunny high pressure day which was exactly what I needed. I knew the thermals took a while to rise there so I planned to go in late and sit through midday. I encountered all kinds of deer and some small bucks on the walk in and almost setup in a couple different spots but I stuck with the plan getting to the tree about 930. I got setup in the saddle and was second guessing myself immediately as I didn't see many tracks in the leaves below me and there were tracks and deer everywhere coming in. But as I started looking around more I could see rubs and big fresh rubs so I knew I better just stay put. I got busted by 2 small bucks in the first couple hours that came behind me and was second guessing myself again. My wind was swirling and bad those first couple hours too but finally around noon the thermals started sucking up consistently. At 1 pm I hear a deer below me and see antlers coming through the laurel. I can tell it's not really what I am looking for but not something I can pass on either so I get ready. The buck stops right at a bed at 40 yards and I am worried he is going to lay down but he keeps coming and turns directly towards me. He slowly walks directly at me and I am ready the whole time, when he gets to 15 yards he stops and puts his head way up to look at me exposing his chest and I immediately let one fly and can hear it smack and actually can hear the air come out of him and he's down and done within 20 yards. I am pretty sure I cut his windpipe and got lungs or at least one lung. As I was butchering and packing meat I realized just exactly how much buck sign and tracks were actually below me and it was impressive so I knew there was more bucks in there and I left my climbing sticks with the thought of coming back first day of gun season, as the spot also sets up well for people pushing deer off of other areas.
d2.jpeg

d3.jpeg

You can see the exit in this pic about 6 inches behind the shoulder where brown hair meets white belly hair.

First day of gun season 11/23 comes windy and cold and luckily I will be tucked in on the leeward, sunny side and out of the wind. I got in early and bumped a few deer in the dark and got setup right before shooting light. I didn’t worry about wind or thermals having a gun and being opening day. The shooting started early and there was a lot of it. About 830 I started seeing deer all does and a couple small bucks come right under my tree all with that wide eyed opening day of gun season look. About 930 I start getting cold and lower myself a little in the saddle to put foot warmers in. As I get my second boot off I lose balance and spin around to see a big deer walking away from me up the ridge over 100 yds and immediately register a shooter buck. I grab the gun spin around and he is instantly in the crosshairs facing straight away angling up the ridge making a scrape. I centered it on the spine about halfway back figuring it will get lungs on the way out and shoot and he runs 50 yards and drops. I have no idea what he was until I get up to him and he turns out to be a big 4.5 year old 6pt with a broken brow tine and both ears cut pretty deep.

d1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Djp32

Re: A couple nice bucks

Unread postby Djp32 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:38 am

Congrats on the nice bucks!!

What is it with the cut ears? My brothers rifle buck had a slice all the way down his ear. I assume it’s from fighting but it’s hard to imagine how it actually happens.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:42 am

Great season, Congrats!
America works when Americans work.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:36 am

Congrats, really nice bucks
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:02 am

Congrats!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:05 am

I really like that last pic, nice man!
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:11 am

Congrats!!
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:15 am

:clap:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:27 am

Congrats 8-)
BJ99Robinson

Unread postby BJ99Robinson » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:13 pm

Congrats!!
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:05 pm

Congrats great bucks
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Good looking bucks! :clap:
I live to release an arrow and watch woods grow into chaos and then grow quite as a mouse in just seconds.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:12 pm

Nice!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:52 pm

Congratulations Brancher! Great season!! :clap: :dance:
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:06 pm

Very nice.

I'm afraid to ask how the haul out went. You mentioned 3 miles in. Kill them first and worry about getting them out after.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”