Terrain - The important details

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Coalcracker

Re: Terrain - The important details

Unread postby Coalcracker » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:27 am

Grasshopper,
Just a suggestion my fellow Pa hunter.
In areas where wind and more wind makes matters worse, play the thermals. In the "worst" wind areas I hunt no matter how I try to make the wind work, it doesn't.

Light wind, strong wind, choose a direction wind, especially those with pine, hemlock, rhododendron along with changing terrain, the wind just flat out changes on a regular basis. It has taken me a very long time to learn this in these places BUT, the thermals are a blessing. Lower elevation early morning hunts and late day hunts are what I stick to in these areas. Soon as the wind/thermals change in the morning, I bail. Soon as the wind dies down at the end of the day, I'm in there.

For more consistent wind think higher elevation but as is the case with my example that takes me away from the habitat I just listed. I'm referring to bow season. Rifle season is a whole other ball game in this area.

Shoot Straight
Prairie Sasquatch

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:04 am

I shot my buck in South Dakota this year on an east west running shelterbelt exactly as he talks about. I was set up so the south wind blew over the top into a cut corn field. Bucks came right down the north edge of the belt so they could smell the cover and see in the field.

Based on my scouting and the scrape lines I believe I was between two doe bedding areas in sloughs to the east and west of me. The shelterbelt connected the bedding and the corn was in the middle. All the bucks had to do was run the edges on the east and west of the sloughs and they could cut all the doe trails. The shelterbelt funneled their movement between the two.
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:34 pm

<DK> wrote:Id hate for this post to die bc youre asking a great question. Unfortunately its been talked about on here tons of times. Theres so much that can be said about it unless youre speaking about a specific scenario.

However, this Don Higgins video speaks about and shows exactly how a mature buck like to act. He shows a few hunts out of the same tree. I was going to share it elsewhere but great video!! Hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcsvET0syYE

Thanks DK for getting the conversation going and I'll definitely check out that video. I've listened to some of his podcasts but haven't saw that specific video. Both of my buck kills this year were on cross-winds but both basically during the rut. Someone commented on bucks traveling with the flow of air/scent. Outside of the rut when they throw caution to the wind, that makes a lot of sense and it seems like it happens more than most people realize or strategize for. Most of the mature bucks on public land are very deliberate in every step they take.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:13 pm

I listened to the rest of that Higgins video at work today. It’s pure gold. His wind based info in the beginning is spot on and something I’m going to pay more attention to. I don’t like hunting 20+ feet up, but will if that’s what the situation calls for. As for the rest of it, it aligns very closely with my current mindset. A lot of it lines up with Dan’s perspective as well. Any time that happens I just end up building more confidence...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:54 pm

Lockdown wrote:I listened to the rest of that Higgins video at work today. It’s pure gold. His wind based info in the beginning is spot on and something I’m going to pay more attention to. I don’t like hunting 20+ feet up, but will if that’s what the situation calls for. As for the rest of it, it aligns very closely with my current mindset. A lot of it lines up with Dan’s perspective as well. Any time that happens I just end up building more confidence...

Its a great video for sure. I just found him and really enjoying his stuff. Iv listened to it a few times in the car and its just a great listen for strategy examples. Seems like a good guy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”