Am I thinking about this correctly?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Befo

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Unread postby Befo » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:55 pm

Still new to some of this, but with some changes, I've been seeing more bucks. Some of them seem to be in locations that aren't in the Beast rule book, which I understand they don't always follow. I want to get better at analyzing what I'm seeing, and I thought I could offer up my analysis of today to check if I'm asking the right questions.

So today I saw three bucks, all on the wayward side of the ridge, all hanging out on the bottom 1/3 of the slope. All three were shooters by my standards; one I think was a shooter by a lot more people's standards. One buck bedded for a moment, but for the most part they seemed to be just sort of picking their way around, back and forth. Didn't look like they were feeding. The creek bottom below is a bit wide, and I know does bed in there. I'm thinking that maybe these bucks were scent checking for does in the creek. As it was, the wind would have blowing out of the creek directly to them. I haven't seen much second rut activity in the past, but maybe this was it.

Am I thinking through the right questions there? Or do you think there are more important details I'm not considering?

Dingler3
Facebook: Ken Fudalik

Re: Am I thinking about this correctly?

Unread postby Dingler3 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:11 am

I'm no expert either. But this time of year you also need to look at how hunting pressure has effected things as well. Sounds like you were in a observation spot more or less. Could be pressure, could be food, could be does, might just be safety. Only one way to find out, get in there and figure it out. Good luck.
G-Patt

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:55 am

I agree with Dingler3. Gotta get in there and figure it out. But I think it takes a few years to validate what you are suspecting (the bucks are there scent checking does during the 2nd rut) by repeated observations of the same behavior at the same time of year in the same location. Good luck!
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:18 am

I want to say this without triggering someone or disrespecting someone or whatever. Im sure ill get someone will also disagree . Lol. :lol:
Also I'm not questioning or doubting anyones knowledge or abilities as a woodsman. :naughty:
These days Its just seems it is so easy to do.
Especially when people are reading responses , emails, texts , or comments. :o

I have been hunting 100% beast tactics since end of 2016
And ive only killed 3 does snd a 120 inch 8 point since then. :snooty:
I have zero excuses im just not that killer yet.
Will i be?
Im hoping to be and i do know i am learning something every sit. :think:
Ive had opportunities and have blown them.
Most of the time im in the wrong tree. That seems my biggest problem these last few years. Tree selection im horrible @ :pray:
I will say this and it might be taken a little wrong but. Nothing is 100% with this stuff except a few things.
Deer eating , deer sleeping, and mating in November.
I myself have learned, been humbled, been embarrassed, and loved every minute of it.
A deers tendencies, instincts or most of the deers behaviors are a lot of the same everywhere but in my honest opinion it depends on the areas you hunt.
Example a Deer will probably have the same i guess instincts in Iowa compared to Delaware, but the
reactions to certain things are probably a mile apart when compared.
Just Comparing the two areas and quality of animal’s is like comparing a one dollar bill to a 100 dollar bill.
I remember in 2016 i went full bore into beast mode.
That post season i bought every one of Dans books, Dvd’s and listend to all his podcasts and videos.
I scouted and found literally hundreds of buck beds.
I put miles upon miles of boot rubber out there.
I did everything else you could do to say im a beast hunter now.
Thought to myself man look how simple this is i got this figured out. :naughty: :naughty:
Lmao well its 2020 and I had 2 cracks at mature bucks and blew them both. Its by far not an overnight thing. Nor a one post season thing.
It really takes a few years hunting areas.
Yes guys get it quickly then others and also guys get lucky.
This is a process you must go through and learn how to hunt the deer that are in your areas.
learn how the deer use and react to pressure in your areas. It takes some years to do.
This is in my opinion is how someone is going to learn how to be a better woodsman or (Beast hunter.)
Imho opinion Dan teaches more woodsman-ship than anything.
Ya gotta be patient. Persistence is also huge.
Seat time is the biggest but its gotta be seat time where your gonna observe and learn something from that sit.
With that said i will say this I've learned a ton from these guys and Dan’s content, but i can not hunt my areas the same way Dan hunts in Wisconsin or zack or Aaron hunt in Iowa.
Learn how and when the deer use the wind, the travel corridors, the bedding in your areas your hunting.
Most importantly learn the available foods, browse, forbs, and seasonal foods. Food is key man for all of this. No food no deer. Cant hunt an acorn flat on a year with no acorns.
Well you can but its gonna be a long lonely sit. Or should be.
There is a lot of similarities on how deer do it around the country but there is probably gonna be alot of differences to.
I need to stick to my plan and gotta learn how to hunt like Rob Loper ( me) In Delaware. Nit someone in Iowa, or Wisconsin, or Missouri.
That gonna take some time. Im close and confident but its starting to come together.
Learn 3 things. Seasonal Food, the girls, and how the deer react to pressure in your areas all season long.
Nowhere else. Just your areas.
bham01

Unread postby bham01 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:29 pm

I am not by any means a seasoned hill hunter but i can share things ive noticed in hill country i have hunted. Year after year there is a guy in our group that shoots a good buck in the bottom 1/3 elevation. Year after year i see more activity in that area of the hills we hunt . Ive always questioned myself... am i sitting to high or what is goin on. I had the oppertunityto hunt the hills with "Big Hunt" this year. He filled my head with strategic methods he uses when hunting the hills. Of the many things he told me there is one that i needed to stick. He said. Hunt low in the am...as the sun rises the bottoms warm up ( around the 10 am time frame) start moving up the hill dropping milkweed until you find the thermal tunnel . ... i thought about that.... hmmm.... alot of things we do as humans is follow by the book. " Dan said top 1/3 is where i need to be so that is where i will be" but in all reality.... wind speed, full sun, part sun, cloud cover will all dictate where the thermal tunnel is on that given ridge on that given day.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:55 pm

Let the deer tech you, you have just found 3 bucks, now hunt them, don’t worry about anything on this site, or what anyone says, go hunt those bucks. Think about where they are? how you can get to them? What wind was it? What were the thermals doing? Now you know where to find big bucks next year at this time of year, and you can also take that spot and predict other spots just like it. Dan has said many times the deer are in the bottoms they are just much harder to hunt there because of the thermals. Big bucks are in a spot for a reason, and they are there for safety. But now you know where the spot is you have the upper hand. finding the Bucks is the hardest part about hunting public, you have that, go kill one of them!!
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:03 pm

People seem to think that beast hunting is just hunting beds or hunting the upper 1/3 leeward side. Beast hunting is finding the deer and doing whatever it takes to kill them, it’s that simple. That might mean hunting beds, that might mean rut hunting, sitting on the ground, crawling through water in freezing temperatures to get a shot at a giant, whatever it takes. It is more about woodsman-ship then one single tactic. It’s also not just about killing deer it’s about learning and bettering yourself as a hunter, don’t get caught up in the kill zone post and comparing yourself, just try to take any nugget from any kill that’s posted. You do that and you are a beast, the results will come.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:58 pm

Curious as the time of the day you seen the bucks low. If it was during thermal fall or in the am before the thermals started rising... I personally see A LOT of bucks low during the various stages of the rut when thermals are not rising.

The fact you are observing and asking why..... or "am I thinking about this correctly" That is what you need to be doing. OBSERVE and find out the when, why and hows related. When the pieces start coming together, you will notice the stuff happening over and over, but you will notice that you will be predicting much of it by then too
Befo

Unread postby Befo » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:47 pm

backstraps wrote:Curious as the time of the day you seen the bucks low. If it was during thermal fall or in the am before the thermals started rising... I personally see A LOT of bucks low during the various stages of the rut when thermals are not rising.

The fact you are observing and asking why..... or "am I thinking about this correctly" That is what you need to be doing. OBSERVE and find out the when, why and hows related. When the pieces start coming together, you will notice the stuff happening over and over, but you will notice that you will be predicting much of it by then too

Appreciate hearing that backstraps. I saw them down there at about 3 pm (sunset 4:45 ish). I did drop milkweed and didn't see any thermal dropping activity. I actually had no intention of hunting the spot. The property had a couple of N-S ridges, and I meant to jump down the west slope (wayward on W wind) and head over to the leeward ridge across the valley. Really, I only saw these deer because I had spooked up a good looking buck on that same west slope on another W wind. It was kind of cool to see these guys in the same spot.

There's something about that spot, and I can't quite figure out what it is. I do know that it is at least one of those places where no one wants to go because no one wants to drag a deer. Gotta cover multiple big thick hills.
Befo

Unread postby Befo » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:50 pm

mipubbucks24 wrote:People seem to think that beast hunting is just hunting beds or hunting the upper 1/3 leeward side. Beast hunting is finding the deer and doing whatever it takes to kill them, it’s that simple. That might mean hunting beds, that might mean rut hunting, sitting on the ground, crawling through water in freezing temperatures to get a shot at a giant, whatever it takes. It is more about woodsman-ship then one single tactic. It’s also not just about killing deer it’s about learning and bettering yourself as a hunter, don’t get caught up in the kill zone post and comparing yourself, just try to take any nugget from any kill that’s posted. You do that and you are a beast, the results will come.

Good reminder. As I'm learning more, it's definitely easier to get caught up in the rules. But there's no denying the simple fact that there are bucks there in daylight, and I'd like to kill them.
Befo

Unread postby Befo » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:53 pm

bham01 wrote:I am not by any means a seasoned hill hunter but i can share things ive noticed in hill country i have hunted. Year after year there is a guy in our group that shoots a good buck in the bottom 1/3 elevation. Year after year i see more activity in that area of the hills we hunt . Ive always questioned myself... am i sitting to high or what is goin on. I had the oppertunityto hunt the hills with "Big Hunt" this year. He filled my head with strategic methods he uses when hunting the hills. Of the many things he told me there is one that i needed to stick. He said. Hunt low in the am...as the sun rises the bottoms warm up ( around the 10 am time frame) start moving up the hill dropping milkweed until you find the thermal tunnel . ... i thought about that.... hmmm.... alot of things we do as humans is follow by the book. " Dan said top 1/3 is where i need to be so that is where i will be" but in all reality.... wind speed, full sun, part sun, cloud cover will all dictate where the thermal tunnel is on that given ridge on that given day.

Fair. One of the beautiful things about ground hunting or a mobile setup. I ended up crawling down the hill to where these guys were and climbing in between some boulders, an oddly perfect natural ground blind. Didn't get to see the guys again, but got my friend his first archery deer.
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Unread postby Smitty » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:45 pm

I think your asking yourself some good questions as someone already mentioned pressure could have something to do with it. Since I started following the beast I have found bucks and good sign in places I never would have even thought to look before so just do your best to hunt them where you find them it may not work out this year or even next year but take some notes and you should get a decent idea of what’s going there and eventually be able to knock something down there.
Haste makes waste

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”