Other hunters expecting you to tell them where you shot your buck

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Other hunters expecting you to tell them where you shot your buck

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:27 am

If you keep showing them pictures of you and those big bucks, they will follow you sooner or later.

As a teen, I shot a yearling and some guys saw me drag it out and load it up. They were in there as soon as I left. Don't think they aren't at least gonna go look and see if they want to hunt there.

mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:52 pm

Like Srgt. Schultz says, I see nothing, at least thats what I tell ppl
PublicLandOwner529

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:39 am

I don’t even tell friends where I hunt, let alone kill on public. My response is always just “the woods”. Sucks that it has to be that way, but I’ve had even friends really burn me on spots. Oh well
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:00 pm

We Work too hard to find these spots. When someone asks where I go , I say “well I hunt State forest , National Forest and WIldlife areas “. Because I do .... :D I have one buddy that I trust to bring ,...that’s it and only because he’s like a brother to me . When dragging my sons buck out , we waited until we heard no on coming traffic before pulling him out and loading him in the truck . :shhh:
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:22 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I know a couple good hunters that shoot nice bucks will tell anyone where they got it. Maybe not the exact location but the area. They continue to shoot nice ones every year. Doesn’t seem to bother their hunting. Lol

I don’t think the management area would be a horrible giveaway, unless it was a 400 acre gem or something.
I wouldn’t say something like “you know the square pond? Hunt the back right corner”.
Don't blame me, I voted for the mean tweeter
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:00 am

I prefer to come clean when asked cause I have nothing to hide. Crazy how for hunting it’s always right behind the shoulder and fishing is in the top of the mouth.

In all seriousness there is a very select few I do tell. They do the same for me. I’ve never had a single issue being honest with the few outdoorsman I really trust. In fact I have learned a lot by doing so. I think having a friend u can trust with the same passion does nothing but help. Granted they don’t come around often and probably wouldn’t ever start a conversation off by asking where did u kill that one.

A wise man once told me... be careful what you talk about around people you really don’t know.
Eat the donut not the hole!
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:13 am

Ok, so I'm one of "those guys". I'll always ask. It's interesting to know where big bucks are coming from. All I'm interested in is the general area, not their spot. In truth it really doesn't matter anymore, big bucks come from just about anywhere anymore. Most of the time the area they killed their buck tells a bit about the hunter themselves. But I'm not interested in their "spot" or hunting area. Actually the places I will hunt most people will not hunt, or don't like that kind of spot, which suits me fine. And if someone hunts and kills a big buck in a certain area, I'm not going there anyway. A lot of people will, but I won't, it's a used area. And probably most of all it's not looking for information, just making conversation.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:16 am

Yea all the time... I lie to them anyways...
djmattm1
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/leroy.matteson/

Unread postby djmattm1 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:10 am

I hunt public in Iowa and a lot of people know the area I hunt. I tell them if they ask. I scout enough that if someone is close I can move. It's public land! I'd love to know that "my" area wasn't being stomped through by others but I'm more realistic than that. On the other side of that, I generally hike a little more than others are willing to. I will ask you where you shot yours, if you tell me fine, if you don't tell me that's fine too. Have a great day everyone
Pudster
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Pudster » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:12 pm

djmattm1 wrote:I hunt public in Iowa and a lot of people know the area I hunt. I tell them if they ask. I scout enough that if someone is close I can move. It's public land! I'd love to know that "my" area wasn't being stomped through by others but I'm more realistic than that. On the other side of that, I generally hike a little more than others are willing to. I will ask you where you shot yours, if you tell me fine, if you don't tell me that's fine too. Have a great day everyone

You can probably get away with that in Iowa where the number of hunters to available public acres is much better than say here in Wisconsin. You tell people here and they talk next thing you know your out a good spot. I dont have that many "great" spots planned out that I can afford to loose some. I am not saying I am greedy with them, but I worked to find them, and I will share them with the right friend at times, but to tell some derelict I hardly know so he can tell his brother in law and his 2 cousins about it.
djmattm1
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/leroy.matteson/

Unread postby djmattm1 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 am

Pudster wrote:
djmattm1 wrote:I hunt public in Iowa and a lot of people know the area I hunt. I tell them if they ask. I scout enough that if someone is close I can move. It's public land! I'd love to know that "my" area wasn't being stomped through by others but I'm more realistic than that. On the other side of that, I generally hike a little more than others are willing to. I will ask you where you shot yours, if you tell me fine, if you don't tell me that's fine too. Have a great day everyone

You can probably get away with that in Iowa where the number of hunters to available public acres is much better than say here in Wisconsin. You tell people here and they talk next thing you know your out a good spot. I dont have that many "great" spots planned out that I can afford to loose some. I am not saying I am greedy with them, but I worked to find them, and I will share them with the right friend at times, but to tell some derelict I hardly know so he can tell his brother in law and his 2 cousins about it.

I understand what you're saying and I'm not here trying to judge what anyone does. That's something hunters need to do less of. It's good when we can can discuss things and not tear each other down. I'm here to learn about Wisconsin hunting so I don't stumble in blind this fall. I appreciate those of you who are willing to share your knowledge with me.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:56 am

I’m fairly tight lipped but it’s really nice to have conversations about hunting and Certain areas with certain people. I’ve told people I like and respected to go hunt specific areas. I don’t find it offensive that someone asks where you killed or caught something. You don’t have to tell them. Even myself I’m just curious a lot of times. Say the county or town just gives you a vibe about a certain area but I’m not offended if somebody shares 0 info. I’m also not asking strangers. I mostly keep to myself.

Some folks are parasites, they only take but they give nothing back. Once I know they are I will fill them so full of beans it’s not even funny. I’ll go out of my way to do it too.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
mbarthelemy

Unread postby mbarthelemy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:08 am

Hawthorne wrote:I know a couple good hunters that shoot nice bucks will tell anyone where they got it. Maybe not the exact location but the area. They continue to shoot nice ones every year. Doesn’t seem to bother their hunting. Lol

This is me^ I wont put you in the dang tree, but ill tell you roughly where I killed It. Generally Im done with an area if I kill a nice buck in there anyways at least until the following season. I can almost assume that they think Im lying anyways and wont go to the spot.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:47 pm

What buck lol
Seriously though the deer they are asking about is already dead. That being said if you have helped me drag a deer out you know where I hunt and I trust you , if you have helped me drag a deer out you probably won’t want to kill a buck where I kill bucks lol
Nathan

Unread postby Nathan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:05 am

I just tell them in the lungs. Sometimes I say in the woods. Then just smile. They either think it’s funny or this dude is crazy. Most of the time they will leave me alone. Be careful who you take into the woods with you. Many spots are ruined having someone help you get a deer out or look for one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”