What is it about Mathews bows?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Moose
500 Club

Re: What is it about Mathews bows?

Unread postby Moose » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:23 am

I bought a vxr this year and got a heck of a deal. After having it a season, im glad i bought it. Im not surr if its any better then any other brand but im a Mathews guy now.

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:59 am

I don't think they're anything special and the deer sure as heck don't know the difference. Yoke tuning the newer ones with their stupid top hats is a major PITA... I would rather have yoke cables any day of the week and 2x on Sunday. I also find them to be heavy... Certainly heavier than advertised... You'll also never get their advertised speed out of them... Whatever they advertise, take off about 10 to 15 FPS and that's what they'll actually shoot.

In their defense, most manufacturers fudge their numbers... But Mathew's margin for such seems to be as large as the largest I've seen or heard.

Their lifetime warranty isn't anything special other than good marketing. But truth be told, most manufacturers have similar now. I just warrantied a set of limbs on my 5-year-old Bear...
SEOHBB

Unread postby SEOHBB » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:34 pm

Halon 29 for me. Same as some of the others , pulled back my first mathews and fell for the smooth draw cycle. I have a pse dream season evo with omen cams and a x force and I really enjoy the smoothness of the mathews compared. I had shot pse my entire life and switched three years ago. My halon feels like a brick and to be honest I do shoot more accurate with the two old PSEs. I regret getting rid of my pse decree. Mathews is easier on the shoulders tho and last week I took the grip off and it helped with accuracy. Not sure Im sold on mathews for life...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:52 am

UntouchableNess wrote:
<DK> wrote: One perk of their bows is the handle on the riser. It is awesome for walking thru the woods, love it.

The Klingon Bat'leth look? Never could get over that.

Haha yeah I guess so. Man its fantastic walking w your bow. Its also good to zip tie the hand loop to it. It always stays set and open.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:54 am

Moose wrote:I bought a vxr this year and got a heck of a deal. After having it a season, im glad i bought it. Im not surr if its any better then any other brand but im a Mathews guy now.

Nice! Its a sick bow! I only got to shoot the 31" at 10 yards but it was perfect feeling. Im curious about the 28" now
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:18 am

I’m a Hoyt guy however a couple of years ago I went into my archery shop and told them I did not want to know what bow was in my hand just hand it to me let me draw and shoot it. I did not pay attention to what bow was in my hand either. I did this at two different archery shops and at both shops I picked a Matthews HTR for the draw and zero hand shock. I still have that bow to this day and hunt with it. I have not shot any other Matthews that I like.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:31 am

I don't care about any particular brand, as I have shot quite a few. I'm currently shooting a Mathews Vertix though. Their marketing is by far the best, which is what keeps people coming back. The bows are good, but not really much better than any of the other mainstream companies in my opinion.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:36 am

The ones I have picked up have been very top heavy then they make one side on the bottom heavier to try yo balance it out.

To me they feel unbalanced in my hand.
They keep making bows heavier and heavier which im not a fan of for hunting.

They make one or two models that someone would want to hunt with and charge the most for them. I feel probably 70 percent or more of the bows on the market are built for 3d not hunters.

They also mark up the price 200-300 per bow sold the Normal hunter to pay for the bows they give away free to celebrity tv actors. Several companies do this.

You can get just as high of quality for hundreds less.

Best shooting bow I've shot was the elite ritual.
I shot a Halon it kept trying to jump out of my hands.
I like the backwall on Elite bows.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:57 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:The ones I have picked up have been very top heavy then they make one side on the bottom heavier to try yo balance it out.

To me they feel unbalanced in my hand.
They keep making bows heavier and heavier which im not a fan of for hunting.

They make one or two models that someone would want to hunt with and charge the most for them. I feel probably 70 percent or more of the bows on the market are built for 3d not hunters.

They also mark up the price 200-300 per bow sold the Normal hunter to pay for the bows they give away free to celebrity tv actors. Several companies do this.

You can get just as high of quality for hundreds less.

Best shooting bow I've shot was the elite ritual.
I shot a Halon it kept trying to jump out of my hands.
I like the backwall on Elite bows.

Mathews feels exactly the same to me as well. I also shoot elite, they feel perfect in my hands
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:55 pm

I can’t say, as it does not apply to me. Part of it could be advertising, part of it could be the quality of the product.

The last two bows I purchased I went and shot the “flagship” bows from several of the larger manufacturers, picking the one that felt the best and screamed “pick me!”

In both cases it was not a Mathews bow. They were nice, for sure, and work really well for many, just not the “one” for me at that time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:56 pm

<DK> wrote:
Moose wrote:I bought a vxr this year and got a heck of a deal. After having it a season, im glad i bought it. Im not surr if its any better then any other brand but im a Mathews guy now.

Nice! Its a sick bow! I only got to shoot the 31" at 10 yards but it was perfect feeling. Im curious about the 28" now

I never shot the 31 so i cant compare it to the 28. You should check it out, im sure you would be extremely happy. I got the brand new vxr 28 for only $859 if i bought accessories. I couldn't pass it up at that price after i shot it.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:44 am

I'm getting a new bow this coming year, if not Saturday. I'm undecided on a 28" or 31" myself? I currently have Z7 its 30" ata.
I live to release an arrow and watch woods grow into chaos and then grow quite as a mouse in just seconds.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:29 am

I went from PSE to Hoyt to Mathews. The Mathews has been by far the bows I've been the most comfortable with and have had the best results with. Hoys were the worst. It has been a 30 year progression to get to where I'm at now and bows have changed a lot in that time so it's definitely not been an apples to apples comparison and I have not tried a lot of different things in that time like some people. I like to get things to where I'm satisfied with my set up and I don't mess with it till I need a new one. I'm sure just about any mid to high end bow available today is going to be a good choice and more of a personal preference than anything else. I'm currently shooting a vxr 28 and I'm very satisfied with it. I think what "it" is with Mathews bows is they put a lot into advertising and have developed a strong following by consistently producing a quality product.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:09 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:I'm getting a new bow this coming year, if not Saturday. I'm undecided on a 28" or 31" myself? I currently have Z7 its 30" ata.

For y'all on the fence, it's not a totally direct comparison, but I liked the extra ATA of the Traverse vs the Vertix. Felt a little more stable and the draw was a little smoother as well despite being the same cam (I think).
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:11 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:I'm getting a new bow this coming year, if not Saturday. I'm undecided on a 28" or 31" myself? I currently have Z7 its 30" ata.

I shoot a Z7E, shot the 31" VXR and I thought to myself that I would be happy w that bc it shoots so great. Moose says the 28" shoots like a dream so ill just get it. I like the shorter AtA for stand hunting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”