Late Season Food Sources on Public Land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Late Season Food Sources on Public Land

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:44 am

Hawthorne wrote:Old field habitat can hold a lot of deer in winter. A variety of weeds and brush are the best. They bed and feed in the same spots. Have done ok finding sheds in these areas

Crp fields, ? Would they be close to a main food source?
Sorta staging bedding and food all into one?

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:15 pm

TheBuckPsych wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Old field habitat can hold a lot of deer in winter. A variety of weeds and brush are the best. They bed and feed in the same spots. Have done ok finding sheds in these areas

It’s not a crp field. It’s not managed to keep trees and weeds out thru mowing or what not. There are corn and soy bean fields within a half mile but they still use the old field habitat all year to bed and feed. I have hundreds of hours observing them there. It is a staging area before they move out around the area after dark
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:38 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:

It’s not a crp field. It’s not managed to keep trees and weeds out thru mowing or what not. There are corn and soy bean fields within a half mile but they still use the old field habitat all year to bed and feed. I have hundreds of hours observing them there. It is a staging area before they move out around the area after dark

Ok thats what i was thinking you were saying
I also have observed the same and is why i asked the question.
Thnks bro. Appreciate the help
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:03 am

mheichelbech wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:
1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:Bridge, I have to agree with what you say. My main targets Are the ROD as well as large patches of ash regen. The cedars I can’t figure. One swamp will be holding deer and another none despite it having cedar within reach all over.

I have a friend up here who is around 70 and I often ask him about the yesteryears before people were baiting heavy and such up here. He said there was a time guys were buying truckloads of cedar limbs for bait years ago. He still fells a few cedar to hunt over each November. Though he generally gets the 1-2 yr old bucks off of it, like you say.

Regarding the cedar, I find in my areas that the availability of other food sources will determine when and how hard white cedar is browsed. If there is plenty of cedar within reach that is not being hit by the deer I find that other food sources are available. Deer don't like eating white cedar unless they have to and it is a winter survival food. Whitetails can eat white cedar in exclusion to all other food sources and survive a harsh winter... but they don't seem to eat it unless there is no choice.

Some of the huge cedar swamps I hunt have trees outside of them that are far too mature to provide browse to the deer. Other than a few lichens there is little for them to eat period... except for white cedar. These are my hunting areas that see cedar being browsed from late October on... the deer simply have no choice.

Are you mostly hunting only weekends? How are you able to determine in a quick enough fashion what food sources they are on?

Sorry I missed this... I have decades of experience with late season hunting in my primary hunting locations. Unless a major change takes place like a forest fire or clear cutting the major food sources / bedding and travel are pretty consistent. I also failed to mention this is big woods... no agriculture within striking distance for these deer.
Sparkey
Facebook: David spanke

Unread postby Sparkey » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:31 am

Damn i didnt see this topic blow up during my hunt. I might have to make another run at it before the new year. What is rod?
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:33 pm

I think they are calling Red Osier Dogwood ROD
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”