Loud snow in December

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Elite
500 Club

Loud snow in December

Unread postby Elite » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:02 am

How do you guys get close to bedding and scout when the snow is loud this time of year? 32 days left to get it done in Wisconsin.

Lockdown

Re: Loud snow in December

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:59 am

How do I get close to bedding with loud snow?

I don’t. :lol:

Loud crunchy snow can be super frustrating.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:20 am

No good way to setup on them in loud snow other than backing off a little. You can go super slow that last 100-200 yards and slowly crunch snow and it will help a little. However a little wind can go a long way in muffling that sound so I kind of let the conditions dictate how I setup.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:23 am

The worst is when it comes down wet and/or melts a little then refreezes. Like walking on small packing bubbles. I think Headgear’s suggestion of wind is the best, although it’s tough to get the right conditions when the clock is ticking.
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:02 am

Don't walk like a 2 legged human. Sound like something else.

Midday sun helps. Wind helps. Going painfully slow helps.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:14 am

mauser06 wrote:Don't walk like a 2 legged human. Sound like something else.

Also very true, you can make noise, just don't make that steady walking human noise.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:40 am

So, get down on all fours and sound like a bear?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:58 am

Elite wrote:

No. Just don't walk in a steady rhythm. Watch how deer and other animals walk. Rarely ever see an animal walking in a straight line without stopping or changing cadence. Take a couple steps and stop. One step stop. Three steps stop for a minute or two. Don't break any branches, and especially don't make the suction noise in the mud.

You could go on all 4's I guess. I was half thinking I should take a small snow sled and just ride down some ridges on my belly. Bet that won't sound like a human :lol:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:02 am

Jonny wrote:
Elite wrote:

No. Just don't walk in a steady rhythm. Watch how deer and other animals walk. Rarely ever see an animal walking in a straight line without stopping or changing cadence. Take a couple steps and stop. One step stop. Three steps stop for a minute or two. Don't break any branches, and especially don't make the suction noise in the mud.

You could go on all 4's I guess. I was half thinking I should take a small snow sled and just ride down some ridges on my belly. Bet that won't sound like a human :lol:

I was being a smart lol. That makes a lot of sense from your description, thanks!
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:04 am

use cover noise..planes, trains, etc...or see if there a small little creek with melted/running water you can sneak in on...cant make it work everytime but gotta get creative!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:11 am

Kokes wrote:use cover noise..planes, trains, etc...or see if there a small little creek with melted/running water you can sneak in on...cant make it work everytime but gotta get creative!

Exactly
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:00 am

Dewey wrote:
Kokes wrote:use cover noise..planes, trains, etc...or see if there a small little creek with melted/running water you can sneak in on...cant make it work everytime but gotta get creative!

Exactly

I’ve tried to take advantage of water access like that. Sometimes it helps a lot, other times I send monstrous sheets of ice crashing into the river and blow everything out of the bedding :lol:

Even if there’s open flowing water it seems there’s “always” a rim of ice around the edge that creates a problem.

If it’s calm and quiet and the snow has a legit crust, I don’t see any way to get within 200 yards of a good buck. Especially if the snow is strong enough to support you. Sound carries really bad with snow on the ground.

Going slow and not sounding human is all you can do, but no buck is going to put up with a strait hour of “what is making that sound?” When you try and close the last 150 yards.

For me, access/sound is by far the hardest part of hunting late season. I can handle below zero temps. Movement is almost always good. Getting to where I need to be (undetected) is always the biggest hurdle.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:09 am

Lockdown wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Exactly

For me, access/sound is by far the hardest part of hunting late season. I can handle below zero temps. Movement is almost always good. Getting to where I need to be (undetected) is always the biggest hurdle.

I'm the exact same way!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:20 am

Elite wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Exactly

I'm the exact same way!!

I find running late and being in a hurry is always a recipe for disaster. Get in very early, take your time sneaking and give the deer plenty of time to forget about a noise they thought they might have heard. Adjust your tacticts. You have to be able to adapt to all conditions. Just need to be creative.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:57 am

Yup, this if you can get away with it- but its still tough. I stay away from bedding if there is crusty snow. You'll just blow everything out. I usually scout for food sources rather than bedding late season. I pretty much know where their bedding, so I like to set up on a fresh/well used travel route between food and bedding. I still like to position closer to the bedding (but not too close) rather than food though on that travel route - just in case their coming toward dark in evening.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”