walking the green mile 2020 knowing when your beaten

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: walking the green mile 2020 knowing when your beaten

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:42 am

Crazinamatese wrote:
oldrank wrote:Countering the new public land hunters. Everyone has a saddle everyone has a LWCG stand or Beast sticks.....

In Wisconsin almost every hunter I see on public is using a crossbow since it became legal not to long ago for anyone to hunt with them. Seems like people just don’t want to learn how to shoot a bow. Not judging anyone but I believe its a fair assessment.

This topic brings me back to the discussions about luck vs. actual skill. I know a few guys who don’t step a foot into the woods at all outside of hunting season and somehow every year they kill a monster. Versus some guys and gals who track deer down all year and never put down their target animals. I am somewhere in between those two scenarios. Where I put in a little bit of scouting and not end up burning myself out or end up creating unrealistic expectations.

I found my niche in in-season scouting and getting after fresh sign and that has increased my success and big buck encounters. I think you just gotta find your niche and go with it. Maybe a “smarter not harder” approach... Outside the box tactics, creating your own set of skills, etc. . Also, never compare yourself to others. Thats one thing that can kill a man’s confidence. I don’t dwell on what other guys and gals are doing. I focus on my own mission. I careless about what other hunters are killing. Might seem selfish but for me that works. 8-)

Im really finding your own niche and using them on where you hunt is gonna be the ticket.
Ive listened and read alot of tactics snd advice.
Theres badic things to learn snd look out fir but after that ya really gotta experience it fir oneself.
There is no better learning than hands on learning.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:15 pm

TheBuckPsych wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I realize everyone is different. But I recall a post u made about having kids in youth sports. Would you advise them when the going gets tough to lay down and accept defeat? Or maybe we should sign u up in a softer league elsewhere so you can shine?

I’ve missed 2 bucks in the last few weeks I could have hit with spit! My current mindset is I’m due cause nobody misses 3 times in a row. :lol: I won’t ever kill a 200” buck and I’m content with that. But I measure myself against the locals and if I can out do them in a lengthy gun state with a stick bow I feel pretty dang good regardless of size. Has always been my experience most traveling folks shoot something a local wouldn’t. So what’s the diff imo? What will a young 120” Iowa buck do for ya that a 100” wouldn’t on your home court? All places are not equal I get that but consistency on good for your area bucks is special. Imo searching for giants where they don’t exist is a lost cause. Shoot good bucks from the hand u r dealt and be happy is my motto.

I figured and was waiting for you chime in with a jab at sometime. Lol.
Maybe ill pm our boy see what his expertise is on the subject. Maybe we can sign up for one of his expert pro workshops. We can swing around under the canopy and watch his vast library of self made you tube videos lol.

I never really said I'm giving up. Maybe temporarily beaten.
If i did give up i wouldn't ask any advice or similar situations people may go through or may have.
My kids are alot different story than hunting deer.
And no i would never tell them anything like that.
As matter of fact ive been most of the year getting the oldest to shoot her first. I will say she is quite picky.

Nicely played! It ain’t a party til the carport comes out! :lol: Was just honestly saying how I have felt in the past and even sometimes how I feel now. Let’s face it missing one hurts but 2 hurts even worse. The good thing I got going is even the biggest of idiots never miss 3 straight! Just was saying I use to compare myself to what others were able to accomplish in other regions an also other skill levels. Always left me feeling a lost cause. This year I took my first strange journey ever.... I even said it that I shot at a buck I never would have on my home court. And honest answer I would have been grinning like Biden at a Chinese buffet if I would have connected. But I’m honest with myself and feel it was due to travel money involved, limited time, and not knowing what’s possible. I don’t feel it would have made me a better hunter than a local who is passing up buck after buck to get a great one. No shame in failure when u give it a legit best shot. But the title of this thread “knowing your beat” I refuse to let enter my mind. As far as I’m concerned I’m gonna gut the buzzard as long as there is time on the clock. Give it your best shot til the bitter end amigo and if it doesn’t work out then find something to blame it on :lol:
Eat the donut not the hole!
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:29 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I realize everyone is different. But I recall a post u made about having kids in youth sports. Would you advise them when the going gets tough to lay down and accept defeat? Or maybe we should sign u up in a softer league elsewhere so you can shine?

I’ve missed 2 bucks in the last few weeks I could have hit with spit! My current mindset is I’m due cause nobody misses 3 times in a row. :lol: I won’t ever kill a 200” buck and I’m content with that. But I measure myself against the locals and if I can out do them in a lengthy gun state with a stick bow I feel pretty dang good regardless of size. Has always been my experience most traveling folks shoot something a local wouldn’t. So what’s the diff imo? What will a young 120” Iowa buck do for ya that a 100” wouldn’t on your home court? All places are not equal I get that but consistency on good for your area bucks is special. Imo searching for giants where they don’t exist is a lost cause. Shoot good bucks from the hand u r dealt and be happy is my motto.

I figured and was waiting for you chime in with a jab at sometime. Lol.
Maybe ill pm our boy see what his expertise is on the subject. Maybe we can sign up for one of his expert pro workshops. We can swing around under the canopy and watch his vast library of self made you tube videos lol.

I never really said I'm giving up. Maybe temporarily beaten.
If i did give up i wouldn't ask any advice or similar situations people may go through or may have.
My kids are alot different story than hunting deer.
And no i would never tell them anything like that.
As matter of fact ive been most of the year getting the oldest to shoot her first. I will say she is quite picky.

Nicely played! It ain’t a party til the carport comes out! :lol: Was just honestly saying how I have felt in the past and even sometimes how I feel now. Let’s face it missing one hurts but 2 hurts even worse. The good thing I got going is even the biggest of idiots never miss 3 straight! Just was saying I use to compare myself to what others were able to accomplish in other regions an also other skill levels. Always left me feeling a lost cause. This year I took my first strange journey ever.... I even said it that I shot at a buck I never would have on my home court. And honest answer I would have been grinning like Biden at a Chinese buffet if I would have connected. But I’m honest with myself and feel it was due to travel money involved, limited time, and not knowing what’s possible. I don’t feel it would have made me a better hunter than a local who is passing up buck after buck to get a great one. No shame in failure when u give it a legit best shot. But the title of this thread “knowing your beat” I refuse to let enter my mind. As far as I’m concerned I’m gonna gut the buzzard as long as there is time on the clock. Give it your best shot til the bitter end amigo and if it doesn’t work out then find something to blame it on :lol:

Gotcha bro.
My title is referencing a specific buck I've been after for 3 years. Sucker just keeps getting me.lmao
I admit beat. For now.
thats the game He got me beat so far. But its not over. Thats what i mean by knowing when your beat. But i mean beat temporarily.
Great stuff. Knowing you from the past i know your a dead eye with that stick and im positive you probably wont miss many more. If any at all.
Probably smoke the next 10 you shoot at.
Ya taught me alot when we talked in a very difficult time of my life. Not that its over it’s probably worse niw then ut was then but ive learned to push forward. I appreciate that i really do.
Thanks again bro keep it real you gettem soon im sure.
Woodsy211

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:34 pm

I’d rather be beat by a buck I’ve chased for 3 years than either know he got shot, or shoot him myself and know the story is over. Be thankful u can still chase him and keep building the story. Most hunters never kill what they consider their target buck
sagDE

Unread postby sagDE » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:51 pm

Awesome! I had my luck around one oak that was dropping like crazy. Come to think of it, it was a pretty solid bunch of trees spread over about an acre. Everything else was flooded.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”