How long did it take her to die?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

How long did she live after the shot? Details below

She died on impact
24%
She died minute after impact
41%
She died in less then 15 minutes
19%
She died in less than 30 minutes
3%
She died in less than 60 minutes
1%
She died in less than 2 hours
4%
This shot will likely require a follow up shot
7%

Total votes: 90
Lockdown

Re: How long did it take her to die?

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:28 am

She did not drop at the shot. I have no idea how she didn’t. Being red deficient, my buddy can’t blood trail by himself. He called his brother and they took up the track. An hour and a half after the shot, they came up on her bedded, head up. :shock:

She wasn’t going anywhere, but a high neck shot finished the job.

I can’t for the life of me understand how she lived that long. An hour and a half?!?

It would make sense that the near lung was mostly intact. But I don’t understand how one big vessel in her off side lung wasn’t destroyed causing her to lose blood pressure and die.

My buddy called me and told me the story and I’m thinking “yeah I’ve heard all the crazy stories. Deer are tough.” But when he sent me the pics it made my jaw drop.

Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:56 am

Lockdown wrote:She did not drop at the shot. I have no idea how she didn’t. Being red deficient, my buddy can’t blood trail by himself. He called his brother and they took up the track. An hour and a half after the shot, they came up on her bedded, head up. :shock:

I can’t for the life of me understand how she lived that long. An hour and a half?!?

It would make sense that the near lung was mostly intact. But I don’t understand how one big vessel in her off side lung wasn’t destroyed causing her to lose blood pressure and die.!

My buddy called me and told me the story and I’m thinking “yeah I’ve heard all the crazy stories. Deer are tough.” But when he sent me the pics it made my jaw drop.

Probably a quarter inch away from being no track job. Crazy though I agree!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:29 am

Ha! Then I did get follow up correct even though I second guessed.
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:39 am

Lockdown wrote:She did not drop at the shot. I have no idea how she didn’t. Being red deficient, my buddy can’t blood trail by himself. He called his brother and they took up the track. An hour and a half after the shot, they came up on her bedded, head up. :shock:

It would make sense that the near lung was mostly intact. But I don’t understand how one big vessel in her off side lung wasn’t destroyed causing her to lose blood pressure and die.

I’ve seen scenarios just as crazy but still wow! What was the elevation difference between the hunter and doe? For a 55 yard shot out of a treestand that’s an extreme angle. I would’ve guessed like inside 15 yard shot and at least 15’ up in the tree judging off the pics. And how close was the bullet path from the spine?
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:16 pm

No way.

Something else happened there, not?

( I almost have to think those are two separate, shallow wounds; perhaps she was previously wounded and your buddy didn't realize it when he shot?

The high (left side) wound looks much more like an exit than an entrance, especially one that supposedly then passed through the heavy neck bones and muscle to blow another roast out of the right side shoulder on exit.

If that was the actual bullet path, my perception of a deer's ability to shrug off severe neck-spinal trauma and my perception of muzzleloader capabilities have both been upgraded several notches.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:34 pm

High velocity lead can do some serious damage. I'm surprised she went that long.
I have a second hand story of the other extreme.
A guy shoots at a deer from a tree stand with a bow. Deer was on edge and backed up on the shot, then ran up the trail. Shooter saw the arrow miss.
Buddy arrived and went to retrieve the arrow being directed to the shot site. And he finds a blood trail. WTF . The two walk the trail and find a dead deer with no visible holes. WTF again.
When they did a very close inspection down on a front leg was some blood and a small slice wound. The vein/artery was sliced, hanging out like a macaroni noodle.
Mortal shot without any penetration and ZERO chance of doing it again.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
mbone1327

Unread postby mbone1327 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:07 pm

That's wild.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:27 pm

I shot a slob years ago the same way. I think late 90’s. It was Behind my pops house in woodbine NJ. Late Muzz season.
I actually dropped that buck in his tracks.
He laid there for 10 minutes stone cold dead.
Ten minutes later after reloading i went to lower my gun from stand thinking my hunt was over.
That buck got up looked in my direction and took off just fast enough i couldn't get my gun up for another shot in time.
I think I actually somehow knocked that buck stone cold for 10 minutes. Like a boxer taking a wicked hook or uppercut.
Lights out.
We blood trailed him for probably 300 yards and just lost him.
I blew the shoulder out cause there was bone fragments we kept finding.
Never found him. I don't know how we didn't and whats funny i believe i was using those same bullets shockwaves.
They are nasty bullets man. They shoot awesome with my gun 295 grains and two pellets.
Just goes to show how tough these animals are.
I mean theres a video im sure you guys all seen with a buck running around with a whole back section of skin gone.
His whole insides showing. You can actually see his scapula and backstraps ughh its crazy.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:36 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Very fast less than 15 seconds or it’s a trick question

The same, assuming a nice close shot? I remember hitting a buck with a similar shot, high entrance and good off shoulder low exit, down in minutes. I think with the angle it would have gotten both lungs but obviously not as much lung an entrance than exit. :shock:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:01 pm

I don’t know guys... I wasn’t there. But both guys say that’s how it went down :think: :think:

They told me I wouldn’t believe it when I saw the pics. :?
ButtonBuckFever

Unread postby ButtonBuckFever » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:13 pm

They don't look as tough as they are. Is there an animal with a stronger will to survive.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:02 pm

:think:
Not sure how it wasn't dead in 10 seconds
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:10 pm

Man I guessed a minute. I assumed she would bleed out rather quickly with that hole.
Persistence is undefeated.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:29 am

justdirtyfun wrote:High velocity lead can do some serious damage. I'm surprised she went that long.
I have a second hand story of the other extreme.
A guy shoots at a deer from a tree stand with a bow. Deer was on edge and backed up on the shot, then ran up the trail. Shooter saw the arrow miss.
Buddy arrived and went to retrieve the arrow being directed to the shot site. And he finds a blood trail. WTF . The two walk the trail and find a dead deer with no visible holes. WTF again.
When they did a very close inspection down on a front leg was some blood and a small slice wound. The vein/artery was sliced, hanging out like a macaroni noodle.
Mortal shot without any penetration and ZERO chance of doing it again.

I had exactly this happen to me one time. Really crazy how hitting exactly the right spot can have a very different outcome vs. .25 inches away.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:47 am

Definitely high and forward. Good lesson in shot placement. Didn't miss the spinal column by very much at all though.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”