2020 Babies Birthdays and Bucks

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
Tsom
500 Club

2020 Babies Birthdays and Bucks

Unread postby Tsom » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:14 am

This story starts in southern NH back on November 16th in the 2018 rifle season when we got our first snow storm. I figured I'd try snow tracking for the first time so I grabbed my winchester model 94 30-30 and headed for the woods. After putting about 4 miles on looking for a track, on my way out of the woods I picked up a good track, which I believe was this buck going off the hillside he was bedded on and the one straight on view I got of his head and rack. I ended up seeing him 7 times pushing him another 4.5 miles. I almost shot him 4 times but didn't have a view of his head to be sure it was the right deer. I ended up shooting a different buck a few days later on the 20th, which was a bad shot and had to go back in and finish him off the next morning on our oldest daughter's birthday.
The 2019 season I was tied up with other areas. I didn't put any effort into this area other than trying to track with our only storm we had in early December which amounted to 3 feet and proved very fruitless.
So on to this season. If you have read my thread in the kill zone about my October 12th bow buck you'd know we had twins due in late October that ended coming on September 24th and I didn't figure my deer season would be productive at all especially depending on how early the twins came and their health and what not. I failed to mention in that story that October 12th is our 8 y.o. daughter's birthday.
The night before our muzzleloader opener October 29th brought an early thin blanket of snow. I like to adapt my hunting style to the conditions at hand so tracking it was. I planned on getting to the same area just at daybreak and try to pick up a track. I hadn't even got to where I was going to park and caught a good track crossing the unmaintained road so I parked there and took it. He ended up picking up a doe and must have dogged her all night in an old cut because the area was loaded with tracks running everywhere through all the thick laurel and saplings. Soaked from the snow and not able to sort out the most recent tracks I gave up on it and crossed the road to find something different and to check the area I kicked up the buck in 2018. This was also where I shot the bow buck. I picked up another real nice track near the bed I'd found him in 2018 and follow it unknowingly past a friend's cell cam which caught the buck an hour ahead of me.
IMG_20201123_094539.jpg
IMG_20201031_203030.jpg
He bedded on the side of the ridge where I bumped him, and slowly follow his running tracks about ¾ of a mile up onto a mountain side, trying to give him time to settle down. I found what looked like the same track doubled back walking down the hill and since my knees were growing weary from the miles, I took the downhill towards the rig track and caught up to him at the bottom coming out of a small pot hole swamp. He bumped but stopped sharp quartered away with a tree cutting across his midsection at about 40 yd and his front half was concealed by a snow covered hemlock branch. I put the scope of the cva wolf where I thought the vitals would be and quickly yanked he trigger. After the smoke cleared I found a tuft of hair, no blood, and 4 or so running tracks that stopped mixed in with a few sets of walking tracks. Assuming I just got hair I followed a few sets for a ways and nothing seemed like a wounded deer. Physically beat and beat by the buck I headed to the rig and finished out about 7 or 8 miles of walking. The next day beast member dagger and I went back to the area to search just in case it just hasn't bled and was laying somewhere but came up with nothing.
Fast forward into our rifle season after finding a climber and camera close to the bedding on the hillside I thought he probably wasn't using that area much. November 14th I decided to take our 11 y.o. up to a saddle the buck was headed towards when tracking with the muzzleloader hoping to catch some cruising bucks crossing the mountain ridge. He brought along the trusty 30-30 and I was using my ruger m77 30-06. We got up just above the military crest just as it was getting light and side hilled towards the saddle. We bumped something that didn't blow and sounded big, running off uphill. Setting my son up near the saddle I sat 50 yd or so away for an uneventful few hours and packed it up.
So come this last Saturday the 21st, oldest daughter's bday again, I figured with the same wind I'd get up in there earlier and bring my summit climber along. I got right up to where he'd busted the weekend before a half hour before legal and sat on a log cooling off from the mile and a half hike up the mountain. In the dark I could hear something moving off toward the saddle maybe 150 yards. After getting into some warmer clothes I took into consideration the saddle, the possible bedding area I bumped him from and the top of the mountain and tried to find a nice tall oak suitable for a climber with a shot toward all 3 and hopefully get up 30 feet and let the prevailing wind take my scent up over any eventual rising thermal. Slowly still hunting that direction I picked my tree out and took a few hasty steps towards it. I looked up to see at least one deer bound off so I immediately dropped down and slid the summit off my shoulder so it was standing up and knelt down low in front of it. Looking through the scope on the m77 I searched and saw the white of an antler through the pine saplings and blow dows maybe 60 yards out. As I heard the deer stomping trying to get me to move the next sight picture I got was of a doe, so I knew I had to be careful what deer I was going to shoot. After a few minutes of them both slowly stomping towards me and the 06 getting heavier and heavier the doe finally came out at 40 yards into the clear with the buck just ten feet behind. Not being fussy as my time is limited whatever stepped out with at least 3" of legal antler was going to get lead.
As he stepped out, my focus was strictly on putting a bullet in the shoulder and not on the rack so as soon as he cleared a sapling coming downhill and quartered to me I let him have it just in front of the shoulder.
Both of them bounded out of view and I jacked another cartridge in. I heard crashing around and blowing. After waiting a couple minutes I made my way up to where the buck had been and found the bullet hole in the ground that seemed a bit low from where I'd pictures him to be. So standing there thinking it may have deflected off something closer to me I looked around me for blood or hair in case I was off on where the buck was standing. Nothing.
I looked out about 20 yards and start looking around to see anything and after a bit I saw his antler sticking way up off the ground not 20 yards away! He's right there! I walked up to him, and he was as dead as a stump. The bullet exit was a little higher out the other side and took out both lungs. I made a few calls to my wife and others and snapped a few pictures.
He's most certainly my biggest buck ever. My brother in law was willing to pick up our 11 y.o. and come help drag as the boy demands if I shoot anything, I have to get him to come track or drag. So I snapped a few more pictures and left the tagged buck there with my pack and vest on it. And hiked the mile and a half out to meet them at the truck. After hiking back up, we gutted the buck, snapped a few more pictures and started the long drag out. Thankfully it was ¾ downhill but still not a walk on the park. He weighed in it 167 pounds and we real rough scored the rack around mid to low 140s. After hanging him in the tree at home I was looking around for missing hair or something to see if it was the muzzleloader buck and sure enough there on his neck is a fresh bullet burn!
IMG_20201122_134247683.jpg

As I sit here typing on a quiet rain day morning off from work juggling and snuggling the sleepy twin girls, bottles, and my phone i truly have much to be thankful to God for this year… yes I sure do!
IMG_20201121_070825401.jpg
IMG_20201121_070825401.jpg
IMG_20201121_075155730_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201121_090132246.jpg
that's beast brew in the yeti there
IMG_20201121_101600071_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20201121_110429705_HDR.jpg
2020-11-21_11-35-46_286.jpg
IMG_20201121_161008522.jpg
should have used a sled... Mile and a half is rough on the hide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tsom on Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

mipubbucks24
500 Club

Re: 2020 Babies Birthdays and Bucks

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:28 am

Congrats, amazing hunt and buck, and love those pictures with the kids, that has got to be my favorite part about getting a deer now is bring it home to the kids!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:31 am

:clap: awesome job. Getting the kids involved is awesome. If they are anything like me they won’t stop talking about that experience for the rest of their life
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:08 am

Bucktacular, my fellow procreator!
:mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:11 am

:clap:
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:25 am

Dude that's a hammer. Great pic with the posse. Congrats
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:32 am

Awesome buck and awesome family! Congrats!
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:43 am

Great buck, congrats! Enjoyed the story too!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:56 am

Great buck and story Tsom :dance: :dance: :dance:

Great pics with the kids. Congrats on the twins 8-)
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:07 am

Way to go brother! What a buck! Love the pics with your crew!
“Stay strapped or get clapped!” Theodore Roosevelt
BJ99Robinson

Unread postby BJ99Robinson » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:06 pm

Nice buck, congrats!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:51 pm

Congrats. :clap: 8-)

Great job not only on the buck but getting it done with that many kids. :shock:

Guys around here better quit complaining now. They don’t have it nearly as hard as they think. :lol:
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:06 am

mipubbucks24 wrote:Congrats, amazing hunt and buck, and love those pictures with the kids, that has got to be my favorite part about getting a deer now is bring it home to the kids!

I agree! I like the reactions from older ones fired up to little ones scared to go near it!
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:38 am

Dewey wrote:Congrats. :clap: 8-)

Great job not only on the buck but getting it done with that many kids. :shock:

Guys around here better quit complaining now. They don’t have it nearly as hard as they think. :lol:

Haha thanks! I'm still shocked I got 2 this season.. In 18 years of hunting I've never shot more than one. Definitely seeing more deer and good bucks since reading the HB forums. I said when I joined with a growing family I want to make my time in the woods count and I've learned a lot. Still mostly shooting what comes by.. if this one was a legal spike he would have taken lead! Thanks all!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:01 am

That's getting it done T, congrats on another great buck, and you have a lot of birthdays and bucks.
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”