Public land beat down

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
A5BLASTER
500 Club
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:12 am
Status: Offline

Public land beat down

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:26 am

So yesterday started off as a fail. Overslept. Didnt get to where I need to park till daylight. Busted a nice buck walking in simply because I wasn't paying attention.

Get too where I was heading, find a good tree that puts my wind blowing over a old drill pond and then out to the bayou.

Get my climber all leveled out and locked down only to realize, I forgot my headlamp, my gloves, my thermal cell, my grunt tube, bleat can, rattle bag. Basically everything I need for a rut hunt and a doe group bedded 60 yards to my right.

Well turns out the does were not at home and the reason why is because the DANG pigs had apparently just came through. Reason why I know is because they started making all kinds of racket bout 200 yards down wind of me.

So I'm like well this day is wasted. Less then 10 mints after getting set up I'm already thinking, just go home.

Then 5 mints later a yote comes rolling through with his nose dragging the ground and fast trotting after a fresh scent. So I told myself to get him and do some deer conservation.

Up comes the 12.5 inch ar grendel and bang down she goes.

I message my 2 best buds that I got my first yote with my ar pistol, look over a see a nice Male bobcat aka (swamp tiger) going to other way on the same trail as the yote. He had to have stepped over the yote lol. So up comes the grendel and bang down goes the cat.

So I message my friends and we all agree it's still very early in the day 9is am, and it might work out to stay till almost dark and then spot and stalk my way back out( since I forgot my headlamp).

Well about 2pm the hogs start working their way back along the bayou, making all the noise in the world. Finally right at 4pm then broke from the brush and came in too a few acorn trees behind me.

So I get stood up and shoulder the gun, pick out a nice sow and decided to wait and see if they will bunch up and I can drop several with one shot.

Now my 10 round mag was full when I leavt the house and I only had 8 rounds leavt when they came in. So that sow and several other hogs finally line up and I let her have it.

She drops at the shot and the pigs turn to run towards me, perfect, I started picking them off, next shot drops a sow that got hit when the first shot passed through the first hog. She goes down, then all the hogs bunch up as they go past me and I start putting it to them, mag goes empty.

Within seconds I can hear pigs doing the death moan in the brush.

Fired 8 rounds at that sounder and killed 5. My lil 6.5 grendel was loaded with my 120 gold dot handloads and I was useing a 2moa red dot sight.

So I jack down the tree and hustle back to the truck to get my headlamp and the fourwheeler. I cut a trail to them and get the yote, bobcat and the 2 sows loaded up and roll the other pigs into the bayou.

Get them home and gut them out, cut the legs off and put both sows in a chest freezer on the porch till this morning, so we can skin and quarter in the daylight.

May not punch a buck tag this year but I can live with that knowing I took out 4 fawn and Turkey polt killers. Lot of season leavt and I have made up my mind to start killing them every time I have a shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


User avatar
muddy
Posts: 8590
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:04 am
Location: Hawkeye State of Mind
Status: Offline

Re: Public land beat down

Unread postby muddy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:35 am

Nice shooting!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
User avatar
john1984
Posts: 4512
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:08 am
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Public land beat down

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:45 am

Congrats :clap:
RiverBottoms
500 Club
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:33 am
Location: MN
Status: Offline

Re: Public land beat down

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:47 am

Now that's an exciting morning!
User avatar
justdirtyfun
500 Club
Posts: 2669
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:10 pm
Location: Misery, previously Hellinois
Status: Offline

Re: Public land beat down

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:56 am

Way to go after them.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Mopar1169
500 Club
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:31 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Public land beat down

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:14 am

Sounds like a fun day to me. How you like the grendel? I put one together last winter haven't played around with it much yet. I was thinking about taking it out here once things slow down if we get some snow on the ground and do some tracking. Mine is a 14.5 pistol.
User avatar
Hawthorne
500 Club
Posts: 5441
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:13 pm
Location: michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Public land beat down

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:23 am

Wow! Like a shooting gallery. Good job
A5BLASTER
500 Club
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:12 am
Status: Offline

Re: Public land beat down

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:29 am

Mopar1169 wrote:Sounds like a fun day to me. How you like the grendel? I put one together last winter haven't played around with it much yet. I was thinking about taking it out here once things slow down if we get some snow on the ground and do some tracking. Mine is a 14.5 pistol.


I love it. Been shooting grendel for several years now. Been a member of the grendel online fourm since before I got my first grendel.

I used my 12.5 inch pistol yesterday.

Have had everything from 10.5 inch all the way to the cz bolt action with 25.5 inch barrel i have now. My 12.5 inch ar is for short range stuff and my cz bolt grendel is for anything out to 1000 yards and hunting out to 600 yards.

Cz bolt grendel on the right. The ar on the left was a 16 inch grendel I built on lwrc six8 recivers and mags, I sold that barrel and rebuilt it with the 12.5 inch barrel from the gun in the middle.

It straight hammers with my 120 gold dot handloads.

My cz grendel is a beast with 129 ablr handloads and 120 gold dot handloads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mopar1169
500 Club
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:31 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Public land beat down

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:35 am

A5BLASTER wrote:
Mopar1169 wrote:Sounds like a fun day to me. How you like the grendel? I put one together last winter haven't played around with it much yet. I was thinking about taking it out here once things slow down if we get some snow on the ground and do some tracking. Mine is a 14.5 pistol.


I love it. Been shooting grendel for several years now. Been a member of the grendel online fourm since before I got my first grendel.

I used my 12.5 inch pistol yesterday.

Have had everything from 10.5 inch all the way to the cz bolt action with 25.5 inch barrel i have now. My 12.5 inch ar is for short range stuff and my cz bolt grendel is for anything out to 1000 yards and hunting out to 600 yards.

Cz bolt grendel on the right. The ar on the left was a 16 inch grendel I built on lwrc six8 recivers and mags, I sold that barrel and rebuilt it with the 12.5 inch barrel from the gun in the middle.

It straight hammers with my 120 gold dot handloads.

My cz grendel is a beast with 129 ablr handloads and 120 gold dot handloads.


Cool I just haven't had much time to play with mine yet. I built it for shotgun zone in MN but I was unable to go this year. I will probably get it out here in a week or two when I go back to the public land after stuff cools down alittle. I am using my 6.5 prc right now for the longer range possiblity. I am shooting hornady black in the grendel and I got some 130 berger also. Here is a couple pics of mine.
Screenshot_20201117-153124.png
Screenshot_20201117-153117.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A5BLASTER
500 Club
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:12 am
Status: Offline

Re: Public land beat down

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:15 am

Mopar1169 wrote:
A5BLASTER wrote:
Mopar1169 wrote:Sounds like a fun day to me. How you like the grendel? I put one together last winter haven't played around with it much yet. I was thinking about taking it out here once things slow down if we get some snow on the ground and do some tracking. Mine is a 14.5 pistol.


I love it. Been shooting grendel for several years now. Been a member of the grendel online fourm since before I got my first grendel.

I used my 12.5 inch pistol yesterday.

Have had everything from 10.5 inch all the way to the cz bolt action with 25.5 inch barrel i have now. My 12.5 inch ar is for short range stuff and my cz bolt grendel is for anything out to 1000 yards and hunting out to 600 yards.

Cz bolt grendel on the right. The ar on the left was a 16 inch grendel I built on lwrc six8 recivers and mags, I sold that barrel and rebuilt it with the 12.5 inch barrel from the gun in the middle.

It straight hammers with my 120 gold dot handloads.

My cz grendel is a beast with 129 ablr handloads and 120 gold dot handloads.


Cool I just haven't had much time to play with mine yet. I built it for shotgun zone in MN but I was unable to go this year. I will probably get it out here in a week or two when I go back to the public land after stuff cools down alittle. I am using my 6.5 prc right now for the longer range possiblity. I am shooting hornady black in the grendel and I got some 130 berger also. Here is a couple pics of mine.Screenshot_20201117-153124.pngScreenshot_20201117-153117.png



Nice.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MNarrow, wdog and 3 guests