What happens next?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
hcooper84

What happens next?

Unread postby hcooper84 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:08 am

I had a great buck come in this morning 10-15 yds. Somehow either due to a limb or my own fault, who knows. I hit him in the guts. The very bottom through the white. He took off very slow, I could see some guts hanging out. My arrow did go completely through due to blood being on the fletchings. He bled pretty good for the first 75-100 yds then he circled back to where he would be downwind of me if I kept tracking. I feel terrible, I always want the animal to die quickly.

What is everyone's opinion? Will he survive? How long will it take him to die if so?

I have a good idea of the area he went to bed in based on the path of last blood I found. I did not bump him out of that. I plan to try to get on the downwind side of the bedding tonight and see if he comes out.

Rich M
500 Club

Re: What happens next?

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:27 am

Guy I know shot a decent buck thru guts with 243. Deer bedded in thick cover - we bumped him, another fellow say deer run by with guts hanging out.

Went back about 4-5 hrs later and tracked him. Part of the track included intestines hanging from limbs and briars. The end of the track was where the buck was bedding and rebedding with these watery/bloody little beds everywhere. Deer finally stands up about 20 yards away, shot it with buckshot. Track was about 1/2 mile.

You've got blood - if it don't rain you can find him. This is gonna be a big thing - rain or no rain. I wouldn't risk losing him to rain. Leaf drop might be another factor.

Do up a spray/mist bottle with peroxide so you can mist questionable blood and know when it foams up - flagging tape to mark the blood trail.

Go in about 4-6 hours after and slowly creep in on him - he'll likely be alive but a little out of it. Be ready to shoot him again and shoot him wherever you have a shot - ham, ribs, another one thru the guts - just poke some holes for more bleeding. Or if you see he's still in bed and alive but can't close the gap, sit down and wait til he passes out or dies.

You said you know where he is - maybe ease in from crosswind as he'll likely be down wind of the blood trail.

Good luck.
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:32 am

I say wait till tomorrow morning if you can. That’s gonna be a long slow death and he won’t be dead tonight. If you do go tomorrow, take it very slow because there’s a good chance he could still be alive but very sick. If you have another person to go with you, maybe set them up in the direction you would expect him to run if he does so you know where he goes. At least you’re prepared if he isn’t dead. Sucks that’s the way it went but sounds like there’s a good chance you can get on him if you leave him alone. Just my opinion from past experience. I finished one off 2 days after my initial shot but knew the hit and stayed away and got lucky. Hope you can get back on him and finish the job. Good luck
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:32 am

He did loop back to get downwind of anything tracking him. My issue is the property is an old quarry so lots of crp and lots brush,pines, thickets, etc. A million spots for him to bed.

He was moving so slow away that I got down and tried to stalk him. Good winds here today. Caught up with him about 100 yds away but was too thick and he saw me that is when he changed direction to get downwind of his trail. Blood was starting to get weaker but was pretty good for the first 100 yds. Definitely noticed it getting watery at instances.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:38 am

He will die but not quick. I would avoid bumping him again and at least wait overnight. The buck I shot this year was hit a bit back. Left him overnight and backed out. My thought was that if he was dead in 6 hours, he would still be dead in 24. If I bump him, I may never find him. I ended up hitting liver but would not change a thing about my approach. Found him bedded with wind to his back watching trail he ran down.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:57 am

Give it 12-24 hours depending on the weather.
If he isn’t bumped it is likely he won’t go far.
If you spook or push him he can go a l-o-n-g way before he expires.

I have never lost a gut shot deer that I gave at least overnight and I only found one of the ones we pushed.

A gut shot is one I won’t go after earlier than 12 hrs. No matter the weather or anything else.
strehb18

Unread postby strehb18 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:26 am

If you got a pass through on a deer with a sharp broadhead even in the guts, that deer has a very high chance of dying. It won't be quick and easy. It will take a while. I hold out as long as you can stand it.

I don't know if you can access tracking dogs in your state but would be a good idea to look into them.
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:49 am

Find a tracking dog and give him overnight at least. Most dog handlers will jump at the chance to track a gut shot deer that hasn't been grid searched. It's going to take time for him to die and there will be much more scent in that gut matter for the dog to follow than you'll find blood tomorrow.

Go to https://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/find-a-tracker/

Or search Facebook for tracking groups in your state or area.

Most guys call a dog as a last ditch effort but you'll put the odds in the dogs favor by not walking it up and spreading scent around. Make grid searching with a bunch of buddies your absolute last resort.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:25 am

12 hour minimum wait on guts. If you dont bump him he'll be in his 1st bed. A dog would probably really help if you can line one up.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:51 am

Don't push him. Back out n wait till morning. He will be dead in his bed.
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:57 am

Trying to get a tracker for tomorrow. Have to wait till evening though. Used my last day of vacation for today...
Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:07 am

The buck I shot lost year I hit square in the small intestines. Shot him at 1pm and went back at 11am the next day and started gridding. He was dead in his 1st bed and was only dead for an hour or two. Gut shot deer dies of sepsis, not hemorrhage. Depending on how good you slashed him open it can take a while for the bacteria to fill his blood stream and shut his organs down, but he will pass.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:23 am

Think tomorrow is your best option. Like others have said if it isn't bumped he will be close to his first bed. May get up and move a few times but wont go far if he doesnt have to. Sucky situation but atleast you recognized what happened and made the best of it. Way too many people would go balls out at it right away and end up chasing a mortally wounded deer to and back with a high likelyhood of not recovering it. Good job making the best decision in a shitty situation
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:18 pm

Got a bloodhound tracker for tomorrow evening. Deer will have 30+ hrs. Hopefully, coyotes don't chew him up too bad if he does/did die. Got a camera out too going to check before tracking.

From here and everywhere else sounds like the deer will die. Just got to find him. Thank you everybody for the input I'll send out an update tomorrow evening
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:49 pm

Good luck!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”